Where is the outrage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Green_Manelishi:
however there are plenty of folks who drink and do so responsibly.
Right. And no one drinks to get buzzed? If that weren't so, why not drink lemonade?
Green_Manelishi:
Not to mention that folks who think they do "whatever" so much better when stoned are fooling themselves as deeply as those who think they can function perfectly well when narced.
Right again. No one EVER thought they could do something better after a couple of martinis than before.

I'm not debating either of those things. Yes, it's illegal. I think it's stupid for it to be illegal, but that doesn't mean that I personally go out and break the law. *shrug*

As for getting dumber every year: Have you ever spoken to an old "career drunk"? Sheesh... It's like talking to a cardboard box, but less stimulating.

And by the way, I wasn't talking about kids using, and as I said, the responsible users that I know, only do so after the kids are out of the area -- Either asleep or out for the evening.

Have you ever spoken to an old "career drunk"?
lol, yea like those "pickled" guys? yes, it's the same thing. I am not sure why anybody would make a habit of any of that stuff. You are just killing your brain on the installment plan.

This is from an email from my son's school district. It's about a program regarding teen binge drinking and blackouts, which is widespread in the US.

The T********* School Community (T.A.S.C) Alliance for the Development of Healthy Students and Contributing Citizens brings together a variety of stakeholders with the purpose of fostering awareness of youth-related issues and building proactive collaboration among all members of the T**/***** school community.
Together, we seek to enhance our school community’s well-being by researching expert solutions, disseminating information and sponsoring proven programs which address substance abuse, physical fitness, good decision making, mental health, and parent-child communication, providing the tools necessary to encourage a healthy lifestyle for all.

Included are representatives from School District Administration, the Mayor and Town Council, Police Department, Municipal Alliance, the clergy, Youth Services, Recreation Services, Home School Associations, Chemical Awareness Program and the Parents Guidance Committee.

The T.A.S.C Alliance would like to invite you to an evening community presentation on Wednesday, May 9, 2007 at 7:30 PM at T*** Middle School. This presentation is open to parents grades K-12 as well as all T** & ***** residents. The presentation will feature, Chris and Toren Volkmann, mother/son co-authors of From Binge to Blackout: A Mother and Son Struggle with Teen Drinking. The authors of this acclaimed book detail all the warning signals this family missed as alcohol and drugs invaded the “perfect American family.”

Their presentation is personal, powerful, and timely, and students in grades 7-12 will be hearing it on May 9th during the school day. Please come hear what your children will be hearing. This is a unique opportunity to begin an important dialogue in individual families, in our schools, and in our communities.

The Volkmann’s presentation talks honestly to kids and families about alcohol choices and the consequences of heavy drinking, detailing the secrecy, denial, acknowledgement, rehabilitation and recovery of Toren and the entire family. Together, they look at the power of alcohol, touching upon topics such as marketing alcohol to youth, our alcohol-saturated culture, current brain research that outlines the particular vulnerability of the teenage brain, and parents’ power to influence teen alcohol decision-making. Through the Volkmanns’ experience, you will learn why underage drinkers do not want to qui; what communities can do to help these underage drinkers think before bingeing; and better ways to communicate about alcohol and its risks among youth, parents, and communities.
The Centers for Disease Control released staggering statistics regarding teenage binge drinking. It is reaching epic proportions, and is strongly associated with other risky behaviors such as sexual activity and violence. The Centers reports that approximately 90% of the alcohol consumed by underage drinkers in the United States is in the form of binge drinking (5 or more drinks). Youth in the T*** and ****** communities – your children, our students – are among teens engaged in this sometimes deadly behavior.

After the Volkmanns’ presentation in the T** Middle School auditorium, Chris and Toren will be available to speak with you, answer personal questions, and sign copies of their book. The book is available at a discounted price for our parents and residents at Womrath’s Bookstore in downtown T** at 12 Washington Street.

FROM BINGE TO BLACKOUT has been covered in People Magazine, NY TIMES, CBS Evening News, Naomi Judd’s “New Morning,” and on “The View” with Barbara Walters. Students and parents are encouraged to read about the book and presentations at: bingetoblackout.com. We encourage you to join us on the evening of Wednesday, May 9th so that we can assist each other in becoming educated about and addressing this critical issue impacting our young citizens, families, and schools.

Good for them, FB!! Sounds like they are being proactive and educating kids about this stuff. That's the first (and BEST) step, in my opinion.

And yeah, I agree with you, Catherine: Career-drunks, just like career-stoners... Just a big brain-drain. But, I wouldn't consider either of those to be responsible users. That crosses the line from "use" to abuse.

"All things in moderation." -Socrates

Fish_Whisperer:
Hemp is illegal because of the powerful tobacco lobby, years and years ago. That's honestly the only reason, and I agree with your observations for the very same reasons, TSandM. I've said the very same thing myself, several times, and in the same situations. Working in a military emergency room, restraining drunks ends up being one of those facts of life, every Friday night... Sheesh...

Although I no longer partake of the herb, I think it's just silly and stupid that it's still illegal and still demonized.

Really?

You don't think tobacco companies could have figured out a way to profit from selling weed? Although I am allergic to it, I think it should be legal. But to think the tobacco "lobby" is to blame for its current legal status is, frankly, just not realistic.

The reason marijuana, and many other drugs, are illegal is a vast governmental bureauracy devoted to keeping it illegal. We have spent a trillion dollars on the war against drugs, tens of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of federal, state and local employees jobs rely on drugs being illegal. Anti-drug use is top rhetoric for many politicians of all stripes.

Then, of course, the more idiotic laws there are in place, the more Americans get used to obeying idiotic laws. Then, when truly dangerous laws are enacted, usually in a panic by lawmakers who have never read the associated bills, it is much easier to get a docile public to go along. After all, we've been obeying the idiotic laws all along, right?

I would say the tobacco industry would greatly benefit from legalization, what with their already having the processing and distribution apparatus in place. that is doubly true now as tobacco usage is declining.

Oh, and smoking cigarettes and smoking pot are simply not inconsistent or competitive.

It is important to understand the real reasons why governments enact bad laws.

Jeff

I say make it all legal and take the big profit out.

And teach your children it is for losers and weak people.

fairybasslet:
Right. And no one drinks to get buzzed? If that weren't so, why not drink lemonade? Right again. No one EVER thought they could do something better after a couple of martinis than before.

Some drink to get buzzed. Drinking is legal, DUI is not legal; smoking dope is not legal.

Some have a drink because they like the taste of 'x'; personally I like the taste of (some) whisky and I can have a drink w/o getting drunk, or even close to it.

Yes, some doofs do think they can do whatever better when drunk and they are wrong.

Still, drinking is legal, smoking dope is not.

Fish_Whisperer:
I'm not debating either of those things. Yes, it's illegal. I think it's stupid for it to be illegal, but that doesn't mean that I personally go out and break the law. *shrug*

As for getting dumber every year: Have you ever spoken to an old "career drunk"? Sheesh... It's like talking to a cardboard box, but less stimulating.

And by the way, I wasn't talking about kids using, and as I said, the responsible users that I know, only do so after the kids are out of the area -- Either asleep or out for the evening.

Let's substitute the phrase "responsible law breaker" for "responsible drug user".

"Oh, I am a responsible litterer".
"Oh, I am a responsible speeder".
"Oh, I am a responsible illegal parker".
"Oh, I am a responsible tax cheat".
"Oh, I am a responsible drunk".

Now, explain that to the kids. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom