Where is the outrage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
I'm not trying to be provocative, but do you really care that much what the law is?

Because I can't relate to the thinking that I would decide that way...there is a moral element, and a health element, but the fact that something is legal or not is further down the decision process. I mean, the law technically says all kinds of strange things about what you can do and what you cannot do.

They have just made too many laws, and it is getting to be like the tax code to get through life street legal. I mean, you cannot even leave your kids alone under 12----who really listens to all these laws? Nobody I know, and I am not exactly a big criminal.

I care a little, but more in terms of knowing the consequences. I still try and do the right things, but not really because of the "law". Personally, I think the legal system has discredited itself to a large degree. Not law enforcement as much as the politicians.

I think if kids are allowed to have a little wine at dinner, it is no big deal. I have always done that, and they have never even wanted it, probably because it is not this big forbidden thing and the people they see drink, do it responsibly.

I just don't think it is effective parenting that your kids "start drinking" at 21, when they are seniors in college and long gone from the parent's influence. I am just not willing to do that, and forfeit any wisdom/life advice I may have the opportunity to offer. What seems to work, IMV, is to stay relevant, and I agree, it is a very fine line (that is why it is so tough).

It was illegal to let her drive a car in a gated neighborhood before having a driving lesson with a stranger and a permit, but that doesn't mean it is not a good idea.

Yes, I do care. Even if it was not illegal there is, as you mentioned, still a health and moral issue involved.

You guys must really want this thread to be closed!!!

The Kraken

Has our society really come down to "If its NOT illegal, then its OK??" I believe that the vast majority of us know when something is 'wrong' and that laws are there to (1) aide in the gray area, or (2) to punish those who knowingly/purposely do something wrong.

Its a no-brainer to KNOW that driving an automobile in a condition that puts yourself or others at increased risk of injury or death IS WRONG. Yet people do it all the time, so we have to have laws to punish them and attempt to motivate them to act like responsible divers.

RonFrank mentioned earlier that "..Ironically our society does little to help those that don't want to drink and drive avoid it." I am not sure of the intent of this comment, but I ask Why is it society's obligation to help you act responsibly??

It appears to me to be a continuation of the lack of "personal accountability" that has been creeping into our society post-WWII

You guys must really want this thread to be closed!!!

I honestly don't understand what is controversial here...it's a friendly philisophical debate. Nobody is being rude, and I'm baffled. It scares the heck out of me. What would be your idea of an appropriate discussion of this subject? It seems to me a very worthy discussion.

Ron is saying the government might consider supporting their mandates, that it would be smart money spent, Otter sees this as individual deteriorating accountabilty. Both points are stimulating and intelligent, politely suggested. It is frightening that it is taboo to discuss this. Did I miss something?

It seems there is no acceptable way to ponder "where is the outrage?"
wow.

Maybe I could post the cultural/ethnic statistics. It seems Asians have the lowest incidence of drunk driving. God forbid we get to inquisitive, it could be really dangerous.

Catherine,

I have, in several posts, requested that the respondents in this thread keep their responses limited to drinking and driving. I've also requested that other volatile subjects be kept out of the thread to keep it from being hijacked or going astray.

May I refer to post #31.

Some posters elected to disregard 3 requests and one warning about bringing in off topic subjects, hence their posts were deleted and they were cautioned not to repeat such actions.

Nowhere has there been mention that the subject matter of this thread is inappropriate.

My post, to which you refer, was yet another admonition to please keep posts on topic. That is all.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming . . . .

The Kraken

JimLap:
Drunk driving needs to be treated here like it is some so called "third world" countries. First offense- prison, second offense- death.

Well that certainly will prevent a third occurence. :D

Sounds a wee bit harsh.

catherine96821:
Sounds a wee bit harsh.
Yea...God forbid that a conversation evolves along natural subject lines.

As the OP, I am not acting as a Moderator. However, I can see the post that The Kraken has deleted and to which I believe me most refers to.

My original post addressed drunk driving and I am appreciative that he has seen that it did not lose that focus. There have been several posts that attempted to address the legality of abortion as well certain sexual acts.

Within the TOS, if one wants to discuss those issues, go for it. I would just appreciate it if you would do it another thread....as I believe that the discussion around Drinking and Driving merits the logical discussion that most of the posts are providing.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom