Where is the line between minding my own business?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom, the Countess has answered your question. :shakehead:

"I think the question at hand is, how long is 2 months...I went by 8 weeks, not 60 days. I am going to a doctor on September 23 and I expect he will give me the ok to dive. If he doesn’t, I have no problem waiting. I also researched alot about what happened (which I plan to blog...just taking a while to sit and write it) and it was pretty random. The "bends" was a secondary diagnosis. My primary condition was an air embolism in the central nervous system, which can be caused by ascending too fast. I uploaded my fancy dive computer profile, and it showed I did nothing differently that dive than I had on others, and in fact, there had been several dives where I went up much faster before this with no consequence! Much of what I read has proven that this "accident" was arbitrary, and the best thing I can do is dive close to a buddy (who can watch for a recurrance)...something I need to practice!!!"

JuptierMermaid, you did the right thing. If I was planning a dive with a known bad buddy, I would like to know that while I'm still on atmospheric air.

She's medically unfit to dive until she goes and sees the proper doctors for a follow-up visit. It's not a matter of "on October 1, magic fairies will visit you at night and sprinkle all-better dust on you". The doctor probably said, "we'll see how you're doing in a few months, and I'd like to get a lung ultrasound to make sure you're okay." Until she gets the all-clear, she's done diving.

CaseyJr, as for having a bad buddy and aborting the dive, "two corpses are never better than one." I've been abandoned by a Divemaster insta-buddy and I waited for the [insert your own profanity] on the surface for at least 10 minutes. (No, he wasn't leading the dive.) He surfaced with the rest of the group, without me, his buddy. I'm lucky that I wasn't caught in kelp or monofilament, or that I wasn't unconscious or worse. I thought I was buddies with a Divemaster; I was really buddied up with Mr. Murphy.

I didn't thumb the dive explicitly; I lost contact and surfaced after a 1 minute search. I remember thinking that he should have known better. Now *I* know better - any buddy, regardless of qualifications, is a wildcard unless proven otherwise.

The laws of Physics are as uncaring and impassive as the ocean. They will destroy you without noticing you were ever there.

Rationalize & Justify...!

At some point you have to accept you did your duty and move on. Be watching for the exit ramp....

To me this only says she got VERY lucky every other time she ascended much faster. :no:

Tom, the Countess has answered your question. :shakehead:

"I think the question at hand is, how long is 2 months...I went by 8 weeks, not 60 days. I am going to a doctor on September 23 and I expect he will give me the ok to dive. If he doesn’t, I have no problem waiting. I also researched alot about what happened (which I plan to blog...just taking a while to sit and write it) and it was pretty random. The "bends" was a secondary diagnosis. My primary condition was an air embolism in the central nervous system, which can be caused by ascending too fast. I uploaded my fancy dive computer profile, and it showed I did nothing differently that dive than I had on others, and in fact, there had been several dives where I went up much faster before this with no consequence! Much of what I read has proven that this "accident" was arbitrary, and the best thing I can do is dive close to a buddy (who can watch for a recurrance)...something I need to practice!!!"

To me this only says she got VERY lucky every other time she ascended much faster. :no:
Also factor in a high degree of the likelihood she lies...

I can attest to the fact that she made quite a few rapid ascents during the week, and was amazed that something didn't happen earlier. I'm sure the reseach she does will reveal that our bad karma under the water produced air bubbles that penetrated her CNS to cause her problems. It sounds like she's learned her lesson and will choose to stay close to buddies that will monitor her from now on <cough, cough>.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom