Where/how do you carry your "stuff"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As of now (and soon to be):

External stuff:

- Knife mounted upside down on right shoulder of BC with zip ties.
- Storm Whistle tied to bolt snap clipped to left upper D-ring
- AI Computer on retractor clipped to middle right D-ring (may switch to simple bolt snap)

Left pocket:

- Zeagle diver's tool kit (slate, pencil [which I attached with surg. tubing], small knife and EMT shears) bolt snapped to zipper pull, but stuffed inside pocket. Clipped to D-ring if needed during dive.

- (Soon to be added) Surface emergency kit, consisting of a mesh bag containing DAN signal mirror, Glo-Toob, chem light & nylon strap bungied and tied to bottom of pocket. Will be able to pull out of pocket and access without risk of dropping out of pocket.

Left side between BC and bladder:

- DAN SMB and OMS reel, rigged together in DYI fashion with 1 inch nylon webbing with thumb loop hanging from Zeagle Quick Deploy pouch.

Right pocket:

- UK backup/day dive LED light on retractor clipped to zipper pull.

Me: Rec diver adjusting to the switch from a jacket BCD to BP/W. Diving a rec setup, not Tech/DIR.

So, two Deep outdoors pockets on the harness waistbelt.

Right side, slender vertical pocket holds my UK SL4 light.

Left pocket is a two pockets front to back, horizontal. One holds my slate. The other my emergency gear: SMB/mirror/whistle. On the front of this is a holder for my pair of shears.

Computer: right wrist
Compass: left wrist
SPG: Clipped to left hip

Thinking about X-shorts to get rid of the left pocket.

Mostly interested in non-tech diving...

How do you set yourself up to carry your " accessories"? What do you bring on your dive?

Where do you like to carry your knife, sausage, reel, lift bag, light, etc.?

Just wondering, and looking for ideas.

Well, the DIR answer is to get big thigh pockets on your suit. I can't see any reason why this shouldn't be the best option for non-DIR divers too. Everything is then nicely tucked away where it can't entangle or fall off and is easy to get at when you need it.

Those big pockets can be bought separately and glued to any suit.

A couple of the items you mention don't go in pockets. The knife obviously needs to go somewhere you can easily reach it with either hand. The light is best carried in your hand :wink:. Just find somewhere to clip it when you need your hands free.

Usually i have my "stuff" tucked safely inside my shorts :p (couldnt resist, sorry)..
I ALWAYS carry my backup light in a BC pocket even on shallow daytime dives. If I carry my primary, it stays in my hand. When I carry a knife, which I do whenever Im allowed to its attached to my leg, but im looking into moving it.

Thanks to all. I find the variety of set-ups interesting.

I neglected to post what I do (for now):

knife: left bcd strap
octo/pony: necklace
backup light: bcd pocket
sausage: left shoulder d-ring
console: left waist d-ring on retractor
whistle: attached to BCD on bungee, stored in pocket with signal mirror
reel: still undecided. probably eill end up on right waist d-ring
EMT shears: different places, but so far I'm not happy with any.

Thanks to all. I find the variety of set-ups interesting.

I neglected to post what I do (for now):

knife: left bcd strap
octo/pony: necklace
backup light: bcd pocket
sausage: left shoulder d-ring
console: left waist d-ring on retractor
whistle: attached to BCD on bungee, stored in pocket with signal mirror
reel: still undecided. probably will end up on right waist d-ring
EMT shears: different places, but so far I'm not happy with any.

I carry .. (on every dive)
Small BC knife mounted handle down on inflater hose (UK Trigger)
Small light in left BC pocket (UK MiniQ40)
Signal mirror & whistle in right BC pocket (SP Mirror & Storm Whistle)
Finger spool on left hip D ring
SMB with boltsnap in bungee loops installed on left side of BC, BC is a back inflate SP Knighthawk with almost non-existent pockets so I rigged this up after seeing a similar arrangement on a BP/W, This has worked well for me ...

I have glued a pocket on my wetsuit so I'll be putting my spool, and other things there (great deal, XS Scuba from Phill at divesports.com)
and I have a drysuit with a pocket now as well

Last edited:
I'm actually considering putting permanent pockets on my wetsuit, but my experience with gluing pockets to a dry suit wasn't encouraging. No matter how I did it, they peeled at the corners. The X-shorts are easy enough to put on, add a little insulation, and the pockets are stitched.

Gluing is not so bad, first time I've done it, and it's not lifting at the corners, can not pull it off .. neoprene to neoprene

put on suit, mark pocket outline, take off suit and stretch leg at pocket area so pocket matches size marked (I used rolled up towels) coated suit pocket area and pocket with Cotal leaving center uncoated and then a couple of thin layers of glue spreading with my finger, leaving center uncoated, letting it dry between coats, then starting at one side, pushing it down gently to make sure of good contact before applying pressure, left it with my weights on it overnight and dived it the next day :)
more instructions ... XS Scuba Wetsuit Drysuit Pocket

Backup lights are clipped to chest d-rings and secured with a bit of surgical tubing (I find it easier to get them in and out with that, as opposed to inner tube, and the surgical tubing is easily replaced if it breaks, instead of having to reweave the harness.)

May I ask how you join the ends of the surgical tubing? what diameter do you use?

Thank you

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom