Where/how do you carry your "stuff"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everything gets put into the pockets of my SeaQuest ProQD BCD. Nothing dangling. Streamlined.

--------------------

All of the above items permanently reside in the pockets. Once in a while, I'll take stuff out and rinse it off and dry it before restowing, but much more often I'll just rinse the BCD and everything together while leaving everything in the pockets. Gear doesn't do you any good if it isn't available when you need it.

---------------------

+1 here. This particular BCD has clips inside the pockets, which I have found very handy.

I love my pockets. They're permanently installed on my drysuits, and I use X-shorts when diving wet. In them go all the little things like mirror and Dive Alert and SMB and spool and wetnotes and a spare mask, all with boltsnaps attached and clipped into the pocket loops. Nothing falls out, everything is secure, and I can reach and remove anything.

Backup lights are clipped to chest d-rings and secured with a bit of surgical tubing (I find it easier to get them in and out with that, as opposed to inner tube, and the surgical tubing is easily replaced if it breaks, instead of having to reweave the harness.) A reel goes on my left hip d-ring.

Once you put the pockets on the exposure protection into the equation, everything gets much easier.

Once you put the pockets on the exposure protection into the equation, everything gets much easier.

I couldn't agree more. Previous to this year I dove wet since I started diving when I was 11. The last 2 years I've been slowly evolving into a Hog rig, and this year I added a White's Fusion drysuit with pockets. What a difference having pockets makes. All of a sudden I can store what I was already carrying, plus more and it's all streamlined and out of the way. If you don't have pockets on your suit, consider X-shorts or some sort of removable pockets from another manufacturer.

I dive a semi-technical rig, but my setup is;
Main knife, left leg (i am a lefty)
Backup knife, left harness strap
Whistle, zip tied to my inflator hose (this could also be zip tied to your snorkle if
you dive with one
Finger reel, sausage with glow stick, dive slate and tables, backup light and car key in a dive rite pouch on my harness waist strap (EMT scheers will go in here when I get a pair)
Camera cliped to my right sholder D-ring carried in my hand.
Compass, left wrist
Computer, right wrist
Bottom timer (old timex watch) on my spg hose

SPG is cliped to my left waist D-ring, Octo to my right, LPI cliped to my left shoulder D-ring

I dive a semi-technical rig, but my setup is;
Main knife, left leg (i am a lefty)
Backup knife, left harness strap
Whistle, zip tied to my inflator hose (this could also be zip tied to your snorkle if
you dive with one
Finger reel, sausage with glow stick, dive slate and tables, backup light and car key in a dive rite pouch on my harness waist strap (EMT scheers will go in here when I get a pair)
Camera cliped to my right sholder D-ring carried in my hand.
Compass, left wrist
Computer, right wrist
Bottom timer (old timex watch) on my spg hose

SPG is cliped to my left waist D-ring, Octo to my right, LPI cliped to my left shoulder D-ring

This is what I would call a "standard" configuration. Perfect in every respect.

Seaquest Balance back inflate BCD with one pocket. Therefore,
1. whistle zipped to left chest D ring
2. octo on right chest D ring
3. gauges to a DIY added ring at the center of chest
4. BCD knife attached to the grommets provided for such where the left BCD pocket would normally be
5. shears in a sheath held loosely by bungee cord in the BCD space behind BCD knife
6. canon a570is camera attached via a retractor to a female clip designed into the bottom edge of the BCD; other end of camera case also clips to the right chest D ring for entries/exits and non-picture swimming
7. sausage clipped to a D ring at the bottom left of the BCD
8. snorkel positioned behind the right shoulder and held loosely in place by bungee cord loops one of which is around the mouthpiece like an octo holder
9. flashlights and slate go in pocket until use, then slate clips on a D ring at the bottom of the BCD and flashlight cord goes over the wrist

All together, it's pretty streamlined and convenient.

these links should give you some good ideas:

this shows how I keep my backup lights and a primary if I am lucky enough to have access to a canister light, otherwise primary goes the same as backup light like pictured in this link:
Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers

I use this product from dive rite to stow lift bags/sausage on the side of my backplate:
Dive Rite Lift/Marking/Safety Bags...Attention-Getting, Inflatable...Easy Retrievals

My knife goes on my corragated inflater hose and the shears go in my pocket. Look into a couple bellows pockets for storing things, I am puting these on my drysuit when it comes (item AC3203):
Dive Rite Pockets for Slates, Weights, Masks/Utilities, and More

my safety spool goes on my butt D-ring and if I have a reel its clipped to the left waist ring unless I have stage/deco bottle(s) then it goes on the right D-ring or Butt ring depending on if I have a canister light and thus how the 7ft hose is routed.

remember that you dont need all that stuff on every dive usually so adjust accordingly and dont take it if you dont need it. generally for open water I carry only a knife, DSMB, and safety spool. If I know I am gonna recover something than I swap the DSMB for a lift bag. If I know there isn't a need for overhead than a reel is not taken as a safety spool will work plenty good for launching the DSMB.

Mostly interested in non-tech diving...

How do you set yourself up to carry your " accessories"? What do you bring on your dive?

Where do you like to carry your knife, sausage, reel, lift bag, light, etc.?

Just wondering, and looking for ideas.
Knife goes on the waist strap. Sausage goes in the drysuit pocket. Reel is clipped to my tank off of a D ring (or I use a spool in my drysuit pocket). Backup lights are clipped to chest d ring, and secured with an innertube on the bottom. Primary light is on my waistband.

strobe, dye marker, mirror, SMb and finger spool all clipped off in my newly purchased DR thigh pocket, pocket worn on right side coz on the left it interferes with SPG and its a pain to thread and unthread the pocket loop on that side coz thats where the harness buckle is attached. Whistle bungeed on right chest D ring keeper. Knife left side of harness waist. backup/day light right harness D ring. Computer right wrist, compass left wrist when used. Dive alert always attached to hose when boat diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom