Where has DIN been required?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've dived Europe, Turkey, Indonesia, Thailand, Egypt - the cylinders have always been Pro valves and I don't recall seeing anyone with yoke 1st stages. My 5 regs are all DIN.

I have no idea where that would be. Check my profile to see where I have dived. For recreational diving, yoke has been the norm everywhere I have gone.

I have never dived in Europe.
Europe and Middle East :) But I suspect most shops in destinations like Malta or Egypt would have an insert to accommodate yoke. But a vast majority divers will be using DIN.

Oh you might even encounter an oddity in the form of M26 :shakehead: instead of M25 for nitrox/oxygen in special places.

If you go with DIN, a DIN-to-yoke converter is about $25. If you go with yoke, a yoke-to-DIN converter is closer to $100. So I figured DIN made more sense on those grounds, and went with DIN regs and bought the DIN-to-yoke converter. I always bring the converter, as well as hex keys (Allen wrenches) in a few sizes for removing Pro valve plugs. All of the tanks I own have Pro valves with removable plugs, so I can easily lend them to folks with yoke regs. This setup works well for me.

However, I have never dived in a place where I was glad to have DIN regs, and I have dived in many places where it was unhelpful. All of my diving is in the US mainland, Hawaii, and the Caribbean, where yoke is much more common. If I dived often in a place where DIN was much more common, I would recommend it. But if I could do all it over, I think I'd have been better off going with yoke. Only a little bit better off though, because at the end of the day, using the converter is really not a big deal.

If you go with DIN, a DIN-to-yoke converter is about $25. If you go with yoke, a yoke-to-DIN converter is closer to $100. So I figured DIN made more sense on those grounds, and went with DIN regs and bought the DIN-to-yoke converter. I always bring the converter, as well as hex keys (Allen wrenches) in a few sizes for removing Pro valve plugs. All of the tanks I own have Pro valves with removable plugs, so I can easily lend them to folks with yoke regs. This setup works well for me.

However, I have never dived in a place where I was glad to have DIN regs, and I have dived in many places where it was unhelpful. All of my diving is in the US mainland, Hawaii, and the Caribbean, where yoke is much more common. If I dived often in a place where DIN was much more common, I would recommend it. But if I could do all it over, I think I'd have been better off going with yoke. Only a little bit better off though, because at the end of the day, using the converter is really not a big deal.
Until you get to a place that rarely removes the "doughnut" converter, and then it is stuck in and you can't use your DIN reg.

When my son and I went to Cozumel in 2006, I believe Aldora's HP steel tanks only took DIN. I may be remembering this incorrectly. Other than that, I have never been to a land or liveaboard operator that has not taken yoke regs, of course, most take DIN also. Personally, I dislike using a yoke adaptor.

I dived a DIN regulator for many years and still have it, use it on my pony. I use a yoke regulator these days. I rent my tanks everywhere I go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom