Where has DIN been required?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The dive shops I visit in South Florida are pretty much devoid of BP/Ws and DIN.
I'd say that's true in most of Florida. At least outside of cave country. When I get my tanks filled locally, mine are usually the only DIN tanks in the bunch. Same for when I go to the Keys. At least all the shops can fill either.

But, that reminded me last year I took Stress & Rescue with two of my regular dive buddies. One uses yoke, the other and I use DIN. In addition to the students, there was the owner/instructor and another instructor. They both preferred DIN. When the owner was getting tanks ready for our dives, He grabbed all the DIN tanks they have in the rental group. Turns out that's 6. Owner grabbed two, and saved 4 for my buddy and me. The other instructor had to use yoke with an adapter, and was not happy. Probably the first time that happened.

I guess I'm a weirdo then because I moved to Greece and brought my yoke regulators with me. I carry DIN adapters in my took kit but haven't needed them as the local dive charters provide them.

Your comment that "serious diving is DIN" is ridiculous.
In my limited experience, I’ve never seen anyone use yoke on a stage, sidemount or rebreather cylinder. I very rarely see someone use a yoke with a twinset (or rather twindies) and usually that person looks like a clown underwater. I have seen single cylinder cold water divers occasionally use a yoke. Hence the comment about DIN being preferable for more serious or committing diving.

Obviously if I planned to only make easy guided dives in resorts etc. and especially in touristy areas, I would buy yoke.

In my limited experience, I’ve never seen anyone use yoke on a stage, sidemount or rebreather cylinder. I very rarely see someone use a yoke with a twinset (or rather twindies) and usually that person looks like a clown underwater. I have seen single cylinder cold water divers occasionally use a yoke. Hence the comment about DIN being preferable for more serious or committing diving.

Obviously if I planned to only make easy guided dives in resorts etc. and especially in touristy areas, I would buy yoke.

Ah I see the problem. The only serious divers are those with more than one tank.

Got it.

Everyone on scubaboard dives DIN. And yet, somehow, 99% of the regs I see in Florida (outside of cave diving) are yoke. Yoke is clearly the "norm" (descriptively) for recreational diving, at least in the US.
If you’re on scubaboard and don’t dive DIN you suck and you’re a complete amateur doing sucky dives (which aren’t real dives because you’re not using DIN). Only DIN dives are real dives and anything involving yoke aren’t considered serious because that just old outdated crap for dinosaurs and any “real” diver would never be caught dead using yoke anything.
Wow!

DIN is a better system which easily adapts to yoke.

Yoke is a good way to warn other divers that you might need help completing the dive.

Screenshot (86).png

Everyone on scubaboard dives DIN. And yet, somehow, 99% of the regs I see in Florida (outside of cave diving) are yoke. Yoke is clearly the "norm" (descriptively) for recreational diving, at least in the US.

Yoke is normal for dive ops in Asia as well, but I have never had an issue with my DIN as all the ops simply remove the plug so I can use my DIN setup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom