Where Do You Mount Your Trilobite?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aaand, pictures!
Both perdix and OSTC

Attachments

• 20221225_201215.jpg
    20221225_201215.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 20221225_201154.jpg
    20221225_201154.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 93
Just as a reminder that no one will ever follow, if both of your cutting devices are on your wrists having one of your hands entangled may mean that both of your cutters are no longer available.

Just as a reminder that no one will ever follow, if both of your cutting devices are on your wrists having one of your hands entangled may mean that both of your cutters are no longer available.

At current. One trilobite on my right wrist, perdix. One knife on my left webbing, one knife on my can light which is on my right webbing. Soon I'll be diving a petrel with a trilobite on it. Not sure if the perdix will be on left wrist or not, as I don't know if I'll want three computers on me.

Wear mine on my computer strap and tuck it under wetsuit when wearing one. On a different note, where are people buying blades? I would like to get the ceramic ones if possible.

Left and right shoulders, just above or below the shoulder-d-ring. Shoulder d-ring is positioned by bending your elbow and pointing your thumb back at your shoulder and where your thumb comfortably hits.

I like to make sure both line-cutters can be reached from both hands. After positioning the cutting devices, put on your harness, close your eyes and reach back towards the cutting devices. If you can easily and quickly find them with either hand, that's good. Also remove the cutting device, and then re-insert, again with eyes-closed.

edit: I have other cutting devices on my waist, but those are optional. For example, I have heavy-duty shears on a custom sheath, which is intended for cutting boating-rope. I also have a tiny titanium knife on my waist-band on the left side, which is mostly there because it's so tiny and I have it, so why not.

On the hip harness. When I use back plate wing setup, I keep in hip harness along with a knife, somewhere between two buckles. When I dive sidemount it is between lower d ring and buckle and placed upside down. Therefore in both configuration I can reach with both hands and also I have visual access if I need.

Left and right shoulders, just above or below the shoulder-d-ring. Shoulder d-ring is positioned by bending your elbow and pointing your thumb back at your shoulder and where your thumb comfortably hits.

I like to make sure both line-cutters can be reached from both hands. After positioning the cutting devices, put on your harness, close your eyes and reach back towards the cutting devices. If you can easily and quickly find them with either hand, that's good. Also remove the cutting device, and then re-insert, again with eyes-closed.

edit: I have other cutting devices on my waist, but those are optional. For example, I have heavy-duty shears on a custom sheath, which is intended for cutting boating-rope. I also have a tiny titanium knife on my waist-band on the left side, which is mostly there because it's so tiny and I have it, so why not.

Why would you ever need to replace your cutting device back in its holster with your eyes closed? Similar to carrying a firearm, once you’re done with it and reholstering it’s a slow and purposeful movement done with care and observation.

I’ll admit that I am a warm water tropical diver, so I’ll never need to replace my cutting device in the dark or super thick muck. Even a small light offers enough light to see where my knife goes.

Another vote for the Perdix.
I got shears on waist band to right of buckle and a Trilobyte on right shoulder strap. But all this mention of everyone having it mounted on their Perdix leads me to think I need to buy a Perdix to mount my cutter to. No honey I needed the new DC to have a safe and secure place to mount the cutter.

Why would you ever need to replace your cutting device back in its holster with your eyes closed?
Noboby has to follow my advice, but if you're on land practicing scuba-skills or verifying equipment comfort/fit/etc, I highly recommend doing the skill or finding the item with your eyes closed.

• If you can do a skill, or find an item (regulator, cutting device, d-ring, etc) by feel easily, doing the same in the water will be that much quicker and more efficient.
  • Practicing skills on land with your eyes open, you'll have a tendency to "cheat" even if you don't notice you're cheating. (...speaking from experience, I caught myself "cheating" by closing my eyes and noticing the same skill was more difficult)
  • Everything that's easy on land is more complicated when covered in scuba-gear, gloves, vision-restricting mask, refraction, floating, currents, waves, limited vis, narced, backplate, etc. Almost nobody actually puts on full scuba-gear when practicing on land.
  • If there's some kind of incident or emergency, such as entanglement, regulator-leak, zero-vis, etc .... not relying on your vision will make you that much more capable.
  • I had an incident with a regulator hose coming loose and lots of bubbles and in that confusion I couldn't find my octo. I'm not the only one who has had that or a similar incident.
Lastly, I personally do dive in near-zero visibility quite often so it's extra useful for me personally, but I still recommend the above to others.

And of course with anything pointy, like my knife, I really take my time when sheathing it. The line-cutters you don't have to be as careful.

Thanks for all the great ideas folks. Since I don't have a backup computer, I'm leaning towards having two- one on my right forearm computer and one on the left waist next to the mini neoprene sleeve the excess webbing tucks in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom