Question Do you bring tools with you on dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Occasionally it’s very useful we’ve had a hose work loose like 600ft back in peacock swimming in and it just started leaking a bit. Stoped for a second shut the valve down and depressurized the reg snugged the hose up and carried on diving total non event.

This is stuff that is taught at the Tech 1 and Cave 1 level in gue.
Why not just snug it up without the extra steps of shutting down and depressurizing? Maybe that's Tech 2 and Cave 2.

Surely more satisfying to whip out the tool and snug up a fitting to stop some annoying (but not mission critical?) bubbles, than to admit "small bubbles no troubles" / switch to other air source.

Unless it turns into another task-loaded distraction, that is!

Some guides snug up regulator joins with their fingers too 😆

I keep a small tool kit in my dive bag. Nothing uber-fancy. Allen wrenches, screwdrivers, etc.

I don't dive with tools, they're on the boat.

Got 30 miles offshore one time without an allen wrench and realized I'd left the "pro adapter" for yoke regs in the valve. I couldn't get the adapter out and couldn't attach my DIN reg to the cylinders.

Also keep a pressure adjusting tool for those guys who have free flow regs and small wrenches for replacing 0-rings on SPG's and hose to reg connections.

I was reading a thread on reddit and the topic of bringing tools during a dive came up. I don't typically carry any tools with me in the water.

Do you guys carry tools during dives? If so what tools do you bring and why?

My main tool is a DSMB so that if I find something that requires a certain tool then I can mark the spot and then go get that tool.

If I am diving for a "known" lost anchor....... maybe even mine.......then I will bring a crescent wrench.

Well if you had masonry tools with you a hammer and chisel would have your insert out and quite rescuable

Got 30 miles offshore one time without an allen wrench and realized I'd left the "pro adapter" for yoke regs in the valve. I couldn't get the adapter out and couldn't attach my DIN reg to the cylinders.

I've taken an air chisel to restep some steps, hot water soak blew it out reoiled back on the tool stand magnificent!

Not ancient enough for silhouetted peg boards just yet

I have been known to jam a dive knife into the "donut" and torque it out that way if i dont have a wrench. Not great for the knife or the donut but it beats not diving.

Why not just snug it up without the extra steps of shutting down and depressurizing? Maybe that's Tech 2 and Cave 2.
Could just be regional preference. I think there is more risk of cutting the oring if it’s partially extruded than just doing a quick depressurization and making sure the oring is seated.

Surely more satisfying to whip out the tool and snug up a fitting to stop some annoying (but not mission critical?) bubbles, than to admit "small bubbles no troubles" / switch to other air source.

Unless it turns into another task-loaded distraction, that is!

Some guides snug up regulator joins with their fingers too 😆
Taking care of small problems early prevents big problems later.

I’ve heard stories of hoses who where bubbling a bit turning into the oring extruding the rest of the way and now it’s not fixable underwater and someone is exiting with half of the redundancy they should have. I’ve also heard stories of hoses just falling off and now you’ve got half your redundancy and a big cloud of percolation to deal with as your shut down the valve, but I’ve never personally experienced those.

Tools underwater? You Betcha!

Every picture tells a story.

Be Prepared:

1000_F_554417874_fT2e5BIsv9HzZ7QVKk3OtTOP3KrLhIdP.jpg

hero-image.fill.size_1248x702.v1623370495.jpg

vintage-amf-mares-tris-divers-knife_1_4920ea424b1e6a2026ffc9daa3a3193a.jpg

vintage-amf-mares-tris-divers-knife_1_4920ea424b1e6a2026ffc9daa3a3193a.jpg

Drinking-beer-underwater-main.jpg

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom