Question Do you bring tools with you on dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UW, I take this :)
1.jpg

The titanium version is much strong...
Version 3.0 is even more robust. (Hex keys are now round, six-sided.)
1720552799713.jpeg

Also Version 3.0
Yes. Here is a picture of the case. I usually just put in my mask box for when a full tool kit is a pain to carry. I know others just take the tool itself and put in their wet notes.
Taran Tool Case.jpeg

This looks like a similar thing: Multi-Repair Flat Tool

I have a pretty comprehensive SAD kit that I bring with me to the dive site that can solve almost any gear failure on site (I do mostly cave diving so this just comes in the truck with me). But historically, none of those tools have come with me underwater.

This year I plan put together a few tools that I bring with me in the caves, the goal being to be able to save a tank of gas from most failures. In cave training we do a bunch of simulated failures, but for some things the solution is "turn off that tank it's lost". I figure with a few minimal tools with me I should almost never have to say that.

1. transmitter/SPG or SPG hose failure? Turn off tank, pull out wrench and remove SPG, replace with HP plug.
2. 2nd stage failure? They usually fail open I believe, so I can just feather my valve and still breath it (I dive SM). If that doesn't work I could pull the 2nd stage off the hose and breath directly from the hose (I *think* that would work, if it was the choice between breathing the hose or drowning).
3. LP hose failure? Bring a spare hose and replace it underwater.

I carry a small dry bag on the boat for phone, wallet, etc. and I throw one of these in the bottom along with a small pair of needle nose pliers with a wire cutter for zip ties....and couple of short zip ties... :)

Innovative Scuba Tool Master - Diver Dan's

Dive tools seem very tempting accessory. But loose fittings, leaks etc could and should have been identified and more easily corrected during proper setup checks before diving, or prior to descent.

I guess it is conceivable that a new small leak/bubbles could be discovered during an in-water pre-descent check, but you are probably better off just leaving it alone, or else getting out of the water to fix it. Fittings and o-rings aren't meant to be worked under pressure.

Anything major at depth, probably just stick to the plan of switching to your adequate alternate air source (or buddy octo) and focus on ending the dive ASAP.

Even for cavers, a spontaneous critical failure at depth that is easily fixable by little dive tools is pretty rare?

The dive tools are definitely useful in the surface or boat kit bag though.

Once saw a tech student get a lecture about being way too cluttered, reducing their safety underwater and ability to perform a range of skills effectively.

Dive tools seem very tempting accessory. But loose fittings, leaks etc could and should have been identified and more easily corrected during proper setup checks before diving, or prior to descent.

I guess it is conceivable that a new small leak/bubbles could be discovered during an in-water pre-descent check, but you are probably better off just leaving it alone, or else getting out of the water to fix it. Fittings and o-rings aren't meant to be worked under pressure.

Anything major at depth, probably just stick to the plan of switching to your adequate alternate air source (or buddy octo) and focus on ending the dive ASAP.

Even for cavers, a spontaneous critical failure at depth that is easily fixable by little dive tools is pretty rare?

The dive tools are definitely useful in the surface or boat kit bag though.

Once saw a tech student get a lecture about being way too cluttered, reducing their safety underwater and ability to perform a range of skills effectively.
People fix stuff in the water pretty frequently. In gue land we have fixable and non fixable failures when it comes to dealing with valve failures.

Having an adjustable wrench or like the halcyon multitool has saved quiet a few dives for me in the water.

Sometimes it’s fixing something real quick when you do the bubble check and a hose has loosened up and it saves you from getting back out of the water that has probably happened to me or someone on my team 4 to 5 times in 400 dives. I’ve helped another 4 or 5 people who I’m not diving with in that same number of dives.

Occasionally it’s very useful we’ve had a hose work loose like 600ft back in peacock swimming in and it just started leaking a bit. Stoped for a second shut the valve down and depressurized the reg snugged the hose up and carried on diving total non event.

This is stuff that is taught at the Tech 1 and Cave 1 level in gue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom