Question Do you bring tools with you on dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive solo, so I have redundant everything.
Extras:
Day-trip boat Dives: Nothing, If something is wonky I'll rent what I need
Shore Dive near home: The full tool box and spares kit.
Resort or LOB: Adjustable wrenches, Hex keys, Wire cutters, several pliers, bit driver and 12 bits All Stainless Steel (thank-you McMaster-Carr), O-Ring kit, Tribolube, Spare HP, LP, Inflator hose, Spare inflator assembly. Spare regs. (12lb SAD kit)
Objetive: Don't go near the water with questionable equipment. Don't miss a dive.
I carry spares and tools wherever I go diving but I find it an easier, quicker more complete solution is to carry a second regulator (I keep one on my boat). If something's not right I swap the reg and deal with it later. Also helps when people forget kit....

I keep one of those Pandora multitools in my wetnotes. I also usually have a stainless steel adjustable wrench for moorings. I also keep an LP port plug in my wetnotes zipper pocket.

I've only had to use the Pandora tool underwater once but I've saved many people's dives on surface and saved a walk back to car.

View attachment 850108
This.
I have one in a small pouch on my waist belt.

Unrelated to tools but a few other things can be useful. I keep DIN o-rings stowed on my backup lights. I think I learned this trick from @kensuf

IMG_20240708_103814230.jpg

I also keep spare bottle leash and bolt snap with a bungee loop in my wetnotes or butt pouch when sidemounting.

IMG_20240708_104430587.jpg

I keep one of those Pandora multitools in my wetnotes. I also usually have a stainless steel adjustable wrench for moorings. I also keep an LP port plug in my wetnotes zipper pocket.

I've only had to use the Pandora tool underwater once but I've saved many people's dives on surface and saved a walk back to car.

View attachment 850108
FWIW, I had that exact multitool in my wetnotes, but when I had to try and use it to remove a LP port cover on a boat a couple months ago, the hex head (which is square) stripped out instantly.

FWIW, I had that exact multitool in my wetnotes, but when I had to try and use it to remove a LP port cover on a boat a couple months ago, the hex head (which is square) stripped out instantly.
I had a similar experience. I bent the tool a little bit but it still works well enough for my needs. I think the titanium version is stronger than the stainless steel version of this tool.

I'm a cave diver as well as OW so carry a small pouch with some tools to fix issues underwater. Small flat headed screw driver and a crescent wrench essentially. All depends on the type of diving you do...just got to keep them clean and well lubed for salt water use

I had a similar experience. I bent the tool a little bit but it still works well enough for my needs. I think the titanium version is stronger than the stainless steel version of this tool.
The titanium version is much strong and much lighter. Worth the extra money.
There are also Chinese copies of the steel Pandora that are not worth the postage.

I definitely just ordered a Chinese copy to have on hand.
$130 for the Ti felt steep but I guess we'll be buying twice if I like the form factor.
I keep a fairly extensive kit in my SAD.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom