Where did you solo dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well not today, but last week I did a killer dive... 8' for 105 minutes! I had a small job working on some pumps in a little pond. Vis was about 20 inches, temp was "way too hot" and "surface conditions" were calm.... someone's lawn! (Do lawn tractors have to stay clear of dive flags???)

Last weekend, I cleaned my swampy gear off with a 180' dive on a wall in Tobermory, and another on the wreck of the barque Arabia (110')... My favorite! Visibility at the wall was about 130'. :)

Fort Adams Newport RI east passage, 1/2 mile drift dive 57' max 30' avg, 50 min, temp 53F vis 10'-12'. Lots of small bait fish but didn't see any big ones feeding on them.
Typical RI ocean dive.

...didn't see any big ones feeding on them.

You never do... UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE!!! :shocked2:

I took a little trip to eastern Lake Ontario this weekend with Mrs. Stoo and a girlfriend/buddy of ours...

Saturday morning, I dove a nice little "unknown" two-masted schooner. She sits in 172', and is not marked. We had some trouble locating with it our sonar (probably due to the thermoclines) but eventually found a likely target. We tossed out a marker on a light anchor. While my two boat tenders circled, I suited up then headed down my shot line.

The vis was only about 15' - 20' until about 90', then things started to clear up, and by the time I got to the bottom, the visibility was about 50' although pretty dark. I couldn't help but see that my little anchor had been dragging. :(

I tied off and started following the drag mark and after about 100', the hull appeared, so I tied my reel off and did one lap of the little schooner before I was maxed out time-wise. Back to my shot line and 50 minutes later, I was on the surface waiting for the Missus to retrieve me.

All in all, a bit of a disaster of a dive, but I guess they can't all go according to plan.

The rest of the weekend was filled with buddy dives which were good fun... mostly.

Last edited:
Saturday morning, I dove a nice little "unknown" two-masted schooner. She sits in 172', and is not marked.

The two masted schooner...yum...last year the weather did not cooperate so I have yet to see her.

I was in Utah for a week, and managed to dive at Bear Lake, both the Idaho and Utah side (Cisco Beach Utah is preferable to where I went in on the Idaho side), then the Wyoming end of Flaming Gorge State Park, and finally Strawberry reservoir (lots of crayfish). A trifecta: Utah, Idaho and Wyoming.

Neptune Divers in Salt Lake City rocks!

Did a great solo night dive in our local park Monday and plan to do another one tonight. Some great footage to be had of "munching" (kelp bass and morays attacking blacksmith and baitfish) and "mating" (mostly polychaete annelids rising towards the surface on nights of near full moons).

a little late writing, but on Tuesday I went to Diver's Cove and Deadman's reef in Laguna. Deadman's was a pretty long surface swim; but nice vis, good amount of fish, decent depth (40-60ft) and a large reef system. 2nd dive was at a kelp patch south of Diver's cove. Here I saw lots of fish, a couple lobsters, couple spider crabs and the biggest gorgonians I've ever seen! Overall a nice day of diving even though it was off-and-on overcast and water was about 55°F (10° colder than last week)!

Got in a couple of dives in the St/ Lawrence River at Centeen Park, Brockville, and off Ivy Lea Park by the bridge to the States.

74 F degree water temp was great, not often I dive in Ontario in a wetsuit. Lots of pike, sheepshead and catfish. Not much luck scrounging, just brought out some trash.

Summersville Lake, WV, 8/5/10 a.m....winter access road.

Nice solo with my Golem BP/W, double hp 100s.

Temps were in 70s for 25 feet, then a bit cooler.

Very relaxing!

East Chutes in Cayman Brac. Mrs Stoo was a little plugged up this morning....

109'/66 min. EANx32. Vis was about 100', water tamp was 86F. Lots of purdy fishies and critters.

Back to Tobermory tomorrow!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom