Where did you solo dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good old Cape Ann... I used to drag my little Zodiac down there every year for years. It's the closest salty water we have. We were just talking about going back...

No diving for me this weekend, but last week I managed solo dives on the Arabia (x2), Forest City (x2) and the Dufferin Wall in Tobermory. Depths were 110 to 170, water temps at the bottom were 39 to 41, but the vis was easily 100' plus.

Lying on the bottom at the FC, I could see the sun, 155' above! :D

Cool shot Doc Harry and I like the ones from your other thread, what are all the circles on the ground??? Do you catch the lobster? Looks like nice viz too :)

I did half a solo dive this weekend, half because I was diving with a buddy who was in a wetsuit and had half a tank of gas and I just carried on when he had to turn back. We thought we would be adventurous and try out a new dive site, which is currently tied for equal closest site to my house (about 20mins). It wasn't bad, viz was amazing at 15m! And the surface was so calm, like glass. Weather has been great lately actually until today when it was super windy. Not much life about though and it was very skittish - I imagine because the fish are not used to divers. At the commonly dive sites you could probably catch the fish in your hands they are so used to divers.

Here are a few shots:

Stingray with parasite
4651840493_694d3e50dc.jpg

Seahorse I found in the middle of the sand right out in the open, which is weird
4651838797_09330fbdfd.jpg

At the point I decided to turn back I ascended to see where I was exactly and got a great view of Melbourne city so I hung out for a bit taking photos
4652459172_af02c44df6.jpg

My dive started with buddies and I ended solo after my buddy left me. I was on a mission that day anyway, and couldn't accomplish it with him swimming all over the place looking for photo subjects so I just stopped and tested my newly-installed P-valve (with much hesitation I might add) while checking out a turtle who was hiding in a hole in the reef. After I did my business I made my way back out in 3-5 viz thanks to the generously sized waves coming in at that point. As we got away from shore we easily had 45 feet of viz, not a bad day but I've seen much better at this dive site.

I need slower buddies...

Peace,
Greg

Cool shot Doc Harry and I like the ones from your other thread, what are all the circles on the ground??? Do you catch the lobster? Looks like nice viz too :)

Sand dollars!

Despite being a long-time solo diver, all of my dives last weekend here on Catalina were buddied up with friends.

So...did my first solo dive yesterday, 48th dive overall. I was out on the wreck of the Stolt Dagali in NJ with my instructor and about 9 other divers. On the first dive we were buddied (the only buddy pair on the boat) and toured around the wreck. On the second, he wanted to hit the bottom at 130' and collect scallops. I didn't want to do that since I'm diving singles, so we splashed separately. I had an offer from another diver to pair up but decided against it, since I didn't know him well and this is something I've been thinking about doing for a while.

It was a nice calm day with no current and about 25' vis. I went down the line to the tie-in at 65', anchored my reel line to a stacnion and followed the ships promenade down to 97 feet. Lots of cunners, sea bass, jellies. Then back up my my line to my tie-in and followed the promenade up to about 55'. Then back to my tie-in again and ascended the up line to my safety stop. 35 minutes dive time.

Not real exciting, I know, but a big thrill for me. In my past dives it's been fun diving with others, and I like talking about what we saw afterwards, but on every dive I put a lot of mental effort into monitoring my buddy. I feel responsible for them and they take up a lot of my mental bandwidth. It was really fun just looking out for myself. I saw more than I usually do, and felt very relaxed. Conditions were mild, and I had redundant everything, and have practiced using everything. This helped with the being relaxed.

I did a solo dive this past Monday at Fort Adams State park RI. Drifted from the southen end of the park to the northen end. My camera was in view the pictures mode so I couldn't take any pics as I need to open the housing to change the setting:dork2:
The water was a warm 55F @ 40fsw, bottom time of 47min. The vis was the usual 5'-10'. I'm thinking of switching to a 3mm jumpsuit with a hooded 2mm vest instead of my 7mm farmer john and shorty jacket. I was a little too warm. I'm also going to my 3/4 sailing gloves. I used my loose fittting 2mm gloves and my hands were toasty warm. Summer has come to RI! I'll be able to cut back on my 35 lbs of lead with a thinner suit! Toting this gear over,up and down the rocks and back is killing me!

Nice little dive at Wiarton, Georgian Bay, Ontario on Monday, water is warming up to 48 F at depth. Lots of crayfish about.

Did a solo night dive at Fort Wethrill RI. Water was calm, 55F 40FSW for 45 min BT vis was less than 5'. Saw very little life which is unsual at night. This was only my second night dive this year and not a very good one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom