When to reassess regulator choices? A question to tech divers..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big Bella, I just had a student with a Poseidon that hit you so hard on inhalation that it would literally drown you in air. Is this how you find yours working? or did this guy have a improperly tuned or wasn't using it correctly?? The reason why I ask is I've been looking at them in my LDS and want to know before I delve out some change. :shark1:

if they sucker punched you in the back of the throat it is usually due to far too high of an IP. If the tech's don't read the bloody manual and set the IP to 123 like it's supposed to be, and set it to say 145 like a "normal" first stage, then when you crack the servo valve it will deliver gas far too quickly. There is a reason these upstream valve designs have a lower IP, and it's to prevent issues like that. They'll still work, but it's not exactly what I'd call comfortable...

if they sucker punched you in the back of the throat it is usually due to far too high of an IP. If the tech's don't read the bloody manual and set the IP to 123 like it's supposed to be, and set it to say 145 like a "normal" first stage, then when you crack the servo valve it will deliver gas far too quickly.

^^^ This!

Thanks for the spot on info everyone. I think I'm going to look at Poseidon again.

@cklaus since you're in the US, I frankly wouldn't bother with Apeks as they are grossly overpriced in this country for what they are. They're ubiquitous in Europe because they're cheap, but they're stupid expensive here. I'd look elsewhere and save many hundreds of dollars for equally good regulators

That's why I'd recommend Atomic regs, superior in every way!!

That's why I'd recommend Atomic regs, superior in every way!!

except you can't get parts for them in the US unless you're a dealer, and as of the last few years dealers have even had trouble getting parts outside of standard repair kits due to lack of availability, their customer service is basically useless *thank you to their Huish overlords*, and they're also grossly overpriced in this country *An M1 is 25% more than an XTX50/DST, which is already overpriced*

except you can't get parts for them in the US unless you're a dealer, and as of the last few years dealers have even had trouble getting parts outside of standard repair kits due to lack of availability, their customer service is basically useless *thank you to their Huish overlords*, and they're also grossly overpriced in this country *An M1 is 25% more than an XTX50/DST, which is already overpriced*

I have no issues getting parts but I don't need to order parts since they are indestructible and never fail. M1 is superior to the Apeks especially when considering the metals it is made of and all of the design features that make it more durable and trouble free.

Every time I discuss this matter with you, I learn something new that makes me even more respecting of Atomic regulators, I love you man, you are the best!!!

I have no issues getting parts but I don't need to order parts since they are indestructible and never fail. M1 is superior to the Apeks especially when considering the metals it is made of and all of the design features that make it more durable and trouble free.

Every time I discuss this matter with you, I learn something new that makes me even more respecting of Atomic regulators, I love you man, you are the best!!!

they're better regulators, and you shouldn't need parts, but things like tanks dropping on a second stage housing happen from time to time. The issue though is the 25% price hike, it's scary expensive. In Europe you guys have much more reasonable prices on these things and then compounded by your end-user protection laws which forbid restriction of parts sales which I think is why regulators like HOG and now Deep6 became prevalent in this country.
For funsies though, the non-metal bits for Atomic may or may not come from the same machines that make the Deep6 and HOG regulators... ;-)

For me though? Long live Poseidon, God of the Sea!

For me though? Long live Poseidon, God of the Sea!

I have to agree -- real workhorses.

Over more than four decades; over thousands of dives, in some less-than-desirable conditions -- from freezing waters; to very questionable harbors in an Atmosphere FFM; to the stickier parts of the world, all without a single hitch or failure.

In addition, since I work on them myself, my cost is rather minimal; and I only have myself to blame, for being a slack-jawed punk . . .

Atomic are grossly overpriced in the US?

An Atomic M1 set is less expensive than a ScubaPro Mk 25 EVO/G260 (by around $80?) - which I regard as its closest ScubaPro competitor. I can't find a kit that has an Apeks XTX50 and DST, only a DS4. Based on the price of that, I'd guess that by the time you add the swivel turret kit to it, it would be as much or more than an Atomic M1.

The Atomic Z2 is $460 now and I think it is one of the best values in regs for single tank applications. No swivel turret, so I wouldn't buy it for technical use. A lot of Atomic gear seems seriously overpriced. But, their regs don't - to me.

Atomic are grossly overpriced in the US?

An Atomic M1 set is less expensive than a ScubaPro Mk 25 EVO/G260 (by around $80?) - which I regard as its closest ScubaPro competitor. I can't find a kit that has an Apeks XTX50 and DST, only a DS4. Based on the price of that, I'd guess that by the time you add the swivel turret kit to it, it would be as much or more than an Atomic M1.

The Atomic Z2 is $460 now and I think it is one of the best values in regs for single tank applications. No swivel turret, so I wouldn't buy it for technical use. A lot of Atomic gear seems seriously overpriced. But, their regs don't - to me.

no one ever said Scubapro was reasonably priced either. $1600 for an Atomic M1 doubles set. 2x the cost of Dive Rite XT, $200/15% more than Poseidon Xstream, $600/60% more than a Deep6 Signature, yeah that's reasonable.... Oh, and you can actually buy parts for all of those regulators unlike the Atomic, Scubapro, and Apeks.
So with all of that, what makes you say that the M1 isn't overpriced? It's in line with Apeks and Scubapro, but my point was the Apeks are overpriced in this country as well. Apeks for reference has a MAP of roughly 30% more in the US compared to Europe. A Tek3 set bought in the UK is about $1k and is $1300 here for reference.

Back
Top Bottom