When to reassess regulator choices? A question to tech divers..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuriousRambler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
To put the question up front: for those of you who have invested into multiple dive "kits," particularly folks diving doubles, with stages, OC bailout for CCR folks, etc. or even those of you who switch back and forth between single tank rigs and doubles, how do you select your next set of regs, and how heavily do you invest into one make/model?

I'm not asking how you choose a regulator, or which regulator to buy. Those are entirely different conversations. I'm asking if you already have ABC brand regulators, do you find yourself gravitating toward buying the same thing for your next set?

Background: I originally bought some Oceanic regs around 2007. No real complaints about them, but as I learned and dove more, I realized tech diving was where I wanted to wind up. I'm a mechanical guy by trade, so servicing my own regs isn't even a question to me, it's the obvious choice. Easy parts availability obviously narrows down the list of choices. I was fortunate and had a buddy who was willing to buy my regs for nearly what I paid, so I traded into a long hose single tank rig comprised of Salvo regs. Dove those for a while, then Salvo went out of business. I wound up getting Dive Rite XT1/XT2's. Somewhere in there was nearly a decade of no diving. Frankly, I don't have nearly enough dives behind me to be working on my third set of regs, so I'm almost certainly overthinking my next steps.

Since tech diving was always "just around the corner," I initially bought two XT1's and three XT2's, with intent to have a dedicated single tank setup and separate doubles rig. Honestly, I have no idea what my logic was when I bought those numbers, so let's choose to ignore how I planned to squeeze two complete setups out of five regulators for now.

I just landed a good deal on a doubles rig. Brand new HP100s (out of hydro), aluminum plate and a 40lb wing. So now I'm in the situation where I need to choose my next regs. I currently have an XT1 and two XT2's set up for my single tank rig, which leaves one of each stage still sitting in their boxes.

I can obviously buy another XT1 and another XT2 and have matching single and doubles rigs. My other thought is "should I comb the market and see if I want to go with something else for the doubles?" Prior to finding the doubles rig, I was planning to set up the spare regs I have on an Al40 of O2 to keep in the truck instead of a DAN O2 kit, figuring I'll eventually reach a point where it will be a handy deco tank instead.

Have any of you ever invested heavily into one type of reg, only to be bitten by it somehow in the future?

Do any of you really care about standardizing regs across your equipment? Or do you have matched stuff for your doubles, plus a hodgepodge of whatever else for stage and deco bottles?

While I'm not particularly concerned that Dive Rite is going to go out of business, I am definitely afraid of "over investing" into one flavor of reg only to kick myself in the future. I don't think I'll out dive the DR regs anytime soon, but should I upgrade now and be done with it?

[Edited for clarity.]

Have any of you ever invested heavily into one type of reg, only to be bitten by it somehow in the future?

Do any of you really care about standardizing regs across your equipment? Or do you have matched stuff for your doubles, plus a hodgepodge of whatever else for stage and deco bottles?

While I'm not particularly concerned that Dive Rite is going to go out of business, I am definitely afraid of "over investing" into one flavor of reg only to kick myself in the future. I don't think I'll "out dive" the DR regs anytime soon, but should I "upgrade" now and be done with it?

I have dove Poseidon regulators since the late 1970s, in most every configuration that you have mentioned, from primaries; doubles. to bailout bottles. I have standardized my equipment in that brand-specific fashion, and service my own gear. I have used Scubapro from time to time; but the various Poseidon models had always been my favorites . . .

Our dive club uses Apeks, and recommends Apeks to all who want to get a new reg.

Basically, anything from XTX50/100/200 for primary for singles/doubles, and mostly ATX/XTX40 for stages are used.

We also dive a lot of cold green water, so a sealed diaphragm is a must.

Also, as far as I understood they use standard o-ring sizes which you can get in a hardware store.

And stay away from Flight/MXR/XL4 since they apparently require some custom tools, and XTX is rated for more extreme conditions.

This type of stuff for everything including ccr bailout

full.jpg

Because I'm worth it!

I have a pretty varied stable of regs to choose from. Since all well adjusted regs breathe about the same, I choose regs based on how they route my hoses. Single tank OW, I'm usually on my Atomics. For Sidemount, I'm diving Dive Rite. For stages I usually dive a Cressi first stage and Deep 6 Seconds. My SF2 has Apeks and so on.

I try to minimize the brands and models of regulators I use and try to limit them to one, perhaps two, different models at the most. Servicing, service tools, spare parts and service knowledge are critical factors to consider to limit costs for servicing and building experience and expertise with servicing one's regulators.

My suggestion is to invest in first stages with swivels and 5th ports(available). I was heavily into Scubapro Mk17 regulators for my backmount and then had to buy all new regulatos for my sidemount. This sucked because i wasnt sure if i was going to like sidemount, if i had a pair that i could convert easily i wouldnt have had to risk any money to experiment.

I am now also converting everything to regulators that dont need special tools to disassemble and rebuild. I had to call a dive on a trip due to a regulator failure and was quite upset that a $350 egulator had kept me out of the water and i didnt have a special wrench in the car.

I was in the exact situation you are in. Started diving in 2010 and bought an aqualung legend lx. As I progressed over the last decade, I am currently at the point where I am strictly diving doubles. I decided to use my aqualung as my deco regulator and purchased a pair of Scubapro mk17/g250v combination.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom