When things reopen...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you guys are making me want to go to Florida. and I guarantee you, I've never said that before.

You don't have to dive dry here, the vis is better, traffic is better and we have Orlando.
On the NY side as I have family there, there is Broadway, restaurants like Daniel and actual topography.
Best of both worlds is to have family to crash with in one and live in the other.

The reg stuff protects the diver in those moments, assuming they breathe off the tank. Not sure that four minute period does much in the context of 2+ hours aboard together loading, suiting up, gearing up/down, eating, gearing up/down, eating, unsuiting, unloading.
It is probably as much for the deck hand/crew as it is the the diver assuming that the crew will need to assist some divers to the stern of the boat to enter the water. Then assist again from ladder to seat. It’s close quarters anyway on the boat but no getting around close contact during this if the diver does need assistance.

It is probably as much for the deck hand/crew as it is the the diver assuming that the crew will need to assist some divers to the stern of the boat to enter the water. Then assist again from ladder to seat. It’s close quarters anyway on the boat but no getting around close contact during this if the diver does need assistance.
Protecting the crew is a very good idea. Yet California just clarified that wearing a mask with a one way exhale valve is missing the point of wearing one. As that valve lets everything through and does not protect people around you. That such masks do not count as a face covering.

The second stage exhale path is more complex. But it is also a one way valve that jets out to each side. Exactly where the crew helping you is. Maybe it jets down a bit, or maybe they are behind you more. Or maybe they have their hand on your shoulder strap, where it jets down to. If they stand in front of you and do a buddy check I can see it helping, but I've never had boat crew check me over from directly in front of me. Hauling you up the ladder it likely helps, every where else seems dubious. I'm happy to have my reg in if it helps. That, for four minutes, as the safety plan for 2+ hours spent on a small boat deck seems a stretch.

Which is why I say it protects the diver. For those four minutes of the 2+ hours on the boat deck. I've not found dive boat decks to be roomy places. Certainly not anything like the sidewalks that have people waiting 6 feet apart outside stores. Nor even the grocery store isles that have been converted to one way traffic.

Hair salons are talking about keeping clients 6' part. A dive boat on the above plan has 8 + 3 moving about a small area for 2 hours. Unless they plan to load, dive, recover, and unload in fixed sequence like beads on a string fore and aft. I'm really not seeing that. It is possible. Yet that is still not 6' apart though, unless the above boat is a rather large one.

I understand that the above details aren't helpful to the boat's business. But the virus doesn't care.

All of the boat ramps,parks and pools are now open in Palm Beach County but the beaches are still closed! So I can go out on a charter boat but I can't use the beach to do a shore dive! Makes no damn sense!

From a broward county sitrep:

Broward County Press Conference Regarding Partial Reopening The County will be issuing an Emergency Order tomorrow to be effective Wednesday, April 29th that will open some recreational facilities on a limited basis as long as social distancing continues to be observed. This is being done in coordination with Dade and Palm Beach Counties:
The following will be opening for limited hours to be determined by the municipalities (a coinciding order from the City will be necessary to identify facilities in the city that will reopen and determine the hours and restrictions):
• Golf Courses – one person per cart only unless in the same household; social distancing to be observed.
• Boat Ramps and Marinas – all public and private boat ramps and marinas will be opened. No rafting up of boats allowed, only one boat on the ramp at all times, social distancing to be observed.
• Pools at Multifamily Developments – open to residents only. All pool chairs, railings, etc, must be sanitized between users, facial coverings must be warn in hallways and elevators on the way to the pool.
• Some County pools at parks will be opened but not all of them.
• Social distancing and diligent hand sanitizing and facial coverings guidance is still in effect.
• No beaches are being opened yet.
• No changes to essential businesses and no other businesses are being reopened yet.

If the downward trajectory observed in daily case numbers continues after these facilities are reopened and testing is increased, including homebound testing, than other relaxation of measures may be considered.

The formatting is a little borked because it is a copy and paste w/o formatting.

based on the press conference here in broward, I am going to expect that palm and miami-dade are going to be following the same guidelines.

And reading the bullet points that it sounds like it is upto each city/municipality what they open.

FYSA

Attachments

• EmergencyOrder20-08.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 91
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom