When should I replace a computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Olddiver1950

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have two Atomic Cobalt 1 air integrated console dive computers from 2012. One has a relatively good battery. The other shows signs of battery failing. I have contacted Atomic and they no longer make battery kits for this computer. So, when should I consider replacing the computer? Is it ok to dive with a 11 year old computer with a good battery? Should I replace it just because it is old and has a reputation of problems on occasion? Of course manufacturers are going to recommend replacing it for liability reasons and I understand that. But what is the practical approach? Thanks!!

I'd upgrade to a Terric or Perdix. Keep the working Atomic as a backup so you can solo cert.

If you don't replace it (or carry a backup), you may have to call a dive (or more if you're remote) when it finally does fail. The Cobalt was a very cool step up from a dive console at the time, but lack of current support makes it difficult to continue with and most modern computers have moved to a wristwatch format.

The Shearwater Teric has an OLED screen and is air integrated, whereas the Tern (also round watch format) is more of a mid-level watch with air integration only in the TX version and a somewhat smaller watch face.

The entry level Perigrine has an LCD and no air integration, but is cheaper and still very capable and uses a rectangular format I prefer underwater. The step up from that is the Perdix 2, which does almost everything but closed circuit rebreathers and is awesome but lacks an OLED display and is pricey.

Any of these will be a nice upgrade from an Atomic Cobalt, and not feel like a step backward to get a more modern computer with support.

John

You should replace it just before it quits. Or wait until it quits in a dive that slipped into deco like mine did. And now I wear two.

The console alone is reason enough to be done with it. Consoles are so disco. Where are my bell bottoms, thank God, they still fit :).

So now I'm thinking keep the better Cobalt (since I have two) and use it as back up to a Suunto Eon Core. Two air integrated computers. When I started diving there was not even a computer, now everyone advises diving with a backup. Go figure. Other instructors I dive with only use a pressure gage on a console and dive tables. And everyone else have two computers. "Progress" !

Other instructors I dive with only use a pressure gage on a console and dive tables.
Hopefully they have a depth gauge and a timing device too? So they are happy with shorter bottom times and longer surface intervals. Is that a good reason for you to do it too?
I can comfortably drive a stick-shift. But I prefer the automatic transmission. Should I ditch it just because it is newer and better?

Other instructors I dive with only use a pressure gage on a console and dive tables. And everyone else have two computers. "Progress" !

Just because somebody is an instructor does not actually mean they know much of anything. I would use other criteria for that consideration. Loosing out dive time due to computer failure on a long day of diving or a dive trip really sucks, especially a live aboard or a remote location. I have no interest in air integration, I am fine with an spg and two computers. My wife with a watch and two non-AI computers and an spg.

So I hear generally no air integration but recommended primary and backup computer. I think I'm headed that way.

Here's a great deal on a Teric, from the classifieds:

John
ps - I don't know the seller, but as long as it's legit it looks to be a great deal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom