When did you "become" DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM, that is a good point. But watch the video again and tell me who the REAL Instructor students are. Presumably, they should be setting the example, and should look pretty good in the water...

I was going to mention this awhile ago, but alas I couldn't tell who was supposed to be the instructor, and who was 'playing' the part of a student. So, I just never mentioned it...

Yeah, I can't tell either, except somebody told me the guy whose arm gets pulled on was a real student.

OK makes sense now :) I do recall my LDS owner asking me to help out for an IDC. He said they use DM's for stuff like disappearing and hiding under the docks etc. I would assume to test trainees situational awareness and to see how they cope under stress.
Sad thing is I've seen a few OW dives that turned into giant vertical, kneeling cluster ***** similar (but not nearly as bad) as that video. Man I don't miss that 28# weight belt :)

H2Andy:
i read the book, took DIR-F, had a great learning experience, but have since decided to learn from DIR guys but "pick and choose" what works for me (clearly not DIR).

so ... my question is ...

when did you make the decision to "become" DIR, and what did that entail?

DIR is only something you *think* you are doing until you take the next level of training, or meet more advanced divers. Then the whole thing starts over ...

at least for me.

Limey-X, that was GOSPEL spoken right there. I thought I was doing ok until I was in the water the other weekend at Peacock with a few Cave2 guys. Geez...

When I first signed up to Scubaboard, I thought DIR was ridiculous because of some of the threads I was reading. Then I learned the difference between internet DIR and the real deal, doing the dives DIR. If it talks like a parrot and it walks like a parrot... After that lesson, DIR meant something; it had a value and was a worthy journey. I went out and bought the book, replaced my brass snaps with blinged out SS ones, and stretched out my primary hose to 7'.

It was going well until I was on a boat and someone said I wasn't DIR because I had an OMS wing. That was a major set back. Now I know how some women feel when they see idealized pictures of women in the media. I had put some effort into it and I wasn't getting the recognition for it.

I'm OK with not being DIR enough for everyone standards, I feel the dives that I do are safe enough for me- "good enough for who it's for." When I do more challenging dives, I might have to kick it up a notch, but so far, it's worked for me. For me diving is a mindset- it's not like the tooth fairy leaving money under your pillow. It doesn't happen overnight; it grows as I develop.

PerroneFord:
Limey-X, that was GOSPEL spoken right there. I thought I was doing ok until I was in the water the other weekend at Peacock with a few Cave2 guys. Geez...

yeah, it sucks huh? from now on, I only dive with divers 1 level above me max!!

TSandM:
Just to make a point about the video in the above link -- That's an instructor training class, and at least some of the students are not students, but are deliberately being as awkward and confused and disruptive as they can be, to stress the instructor candidates.

It's still a pretty funny video.
If sham training scenarios of this magnitude and "sense" are necessary to become an Instructor for this Agency, then I don't even want to be a Dive Master for this Agency. . .

SparticleBrane:
Journey, not a destination...:D

Yep, not sure how you get your buddy in the tub?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom