When did you "become" DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think, honestly, that Scubaboard started my pell-mell gallop to the dark side. At least, the only thing I'd ever heard about DIR before Scubaboard was when I told my OW instructor that I'd been out diving with a woman who had spring straps, and I thought they were very cool. And he said, "Oh, she's been influenced by those DIR guys. Why people think that a bunch of ideas that came out of ONE cave diving project in Florida are worth paying attention to is beyond me."

So the same woman told me about Scubaboard, and I came here and saw people mentioning this same acronym, and I started reading. At just about the same time, I met NWGratefulDiver, who took me under his wing and began to teach me ideas like horizontal trim and a modified flutter kick, and showed me the long hose setup and showed me why he liked it. I dove with him quite a bit, and eventually, he said, "You're coming along, and I think you should go learn some more of this stuff where I learned it." And he lent me a BP/W/long hose setup and sent me off to take Fundies.

I was already REALLY pleased with what I was learning, which was control. After OW, I never really felt in control of my diving. Things happened to me more than I happened to them, and I have never in my life been fond of that feeling. Here, I was beginning to bring the experience of diving under a modicum of control, and it was making diving more fun, and I felt safer.

I took Fundies, and was powerfully struck with the complete reasonableness of the instructor and of everything he said. In some cases, it seemed clear to me that what GUE had chosen to do was just plain better, and in other cases, there were equally good alternatives with different advantages and disadvantages, and they had chosen one but were willing to discuss why. And in the class, I got the first glimpse of what team diving was, and I was hooked.

Over the last sixteen months, it has been that facet of DIR which has become more and more irresistable to me. Diving as a team -- working as a team -- taking care of each other as a team. That's a great joy to me, even when I fail to do it to my own or others' standards. I keep working on it. I polish my skills so I can be a better team member. I make time for debriefs and listen to what's said so I can be a better and safer companion underwater.

I just spent three very intense and exhausting and very stressful days of instruction. But even through it all, I had the delight in being part of a team. We went through the same safety protocols, checked equipment, went through a dive plan where everybody knew what should be in it, and helped one another with the little things. There's joy in doing a descent where the three of you are together, keeping position, keeping in step on the way down, arriving in good order and ready to go diving. There's an intense pleasure in leading such a dive, and just needing the smallest glance to each side to see your tidy, steady, attentive teammates where you expect them to be. And there's a lot of comfort in seeing those same teammates responding to issues (even if they're artificial) in a calm, methodical and competent way.

The system closes some doors, but most of them are doors I don't want to go through, anyway (CCRs, for example). But it opens the door to some wonderful experiences . . . Jumping in the water with kidspot in Maui and feeling like he was an old, familiar dive buddy. Setting out to the Three Sisters at Point Lobos with two divers I'd never been in the water with before, and feeling like we were long-term partners. Doing skills dives in the dark in Cove 2 with other people who enjoy the same kind of work, and ending up having warm drinks and broad smiles afterwards.

This is my kind of diving. I've found a home, and I'm happy in it.

Great post Lynne! I see you just destroyed my hopes of winning the "Best Post" award for this thread. :wink:

yea she has that habit

:wink:

Kevrumbo:
Continuous Measurable Improvement way over and above this Cluster Foul-up. . .

Da!

Comrade Diver's Vladivostok Academy of Vertical Diving!

very nice!

Interesting video - that was an instructor training class???? :11: :shakehead

The contrast between the well trimmed and controlled doubles divers and those bouncing on the bottom is....well striking.

Can't say's I'll ever "become" DIR ... I'm just enough of a rebel-without-a-clue as to not want to accept anything whole-cloth, and one either "is" or "isn't" DIR.

I can say that I started down the path toward learning what it's all about at a definable point in time. I was a fairly new diver, and Cheng was even newer. Some friends had found an octopus on eggs underneath some logs at about 95 feet. They'd named her "Olive" and she was becoming something of a celebrity with the local diving community. So one night we were going down to see her with this group. The guy who organized the dive was big in the local dive scene at the time ... Terkel Sorenson (the same Terkel who had the light company). As he was outlining the dive plan, he looked at me and Cheng and said "you go last, you guys stir up too much silt". So we ended up following a bunch of other divers down the boundary rope that led to the octopus den.

Now, being in the back has some advantages ... the most obvious was watching the guys in front of us diving in a manner that I'd never seen before ... perfectly horizontal, using this weird kick (that, incidentally, my OW dive book said "wasn't suitable for scuba diving"), and not stirring up even a speck of silt. It was a perfect "wow, look what they're doing" kind of moment.

On the way back up the line, Cheng ran out of air. We handled it OK, and got the surface without difficulties, but Terkel had some "concerned" words for us back in the parking lot. Him and his dive buddy decided we needed some remedial training, so they took us under their wing, and I started learning what this DIR stuff was all about.

For a time ... and in large part due to the prejudices of the same folks who had subsequently taught Lynne how to dive ... I held onto some fairly anti-DIR views. But with prolonged exposure the kool-aid started to not taste quite so bad. I picked up a few good habits, and despite my stubborn ways gradually started adopting both the DIR configuration and mindset. That eventually led to a Fundies class ... then another. After an even longer time, it led me to take an instructor's job at the local DIR shop (teaching NAUI recreational classes).

I still don't consider myself "DIR" ... nor do I think I ever will. But the DIR classes I took, and the experiences I've shared with divers who are far more DIR than I will ever be, have been THE major influence on how I approach diving, how I prepare for a dive, and how I teach diving to others.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

As a really green OW diver, I felt my OW class was very lacking. The continuous comments of dont worry it will be better after 30 dives was becoming tiresome. Better at what actually? Being weighted down and tearing up the environment I am supposed to be just looking at? Sheesh! Through yahoo 360 and meeting other divers through my page, I happened upon Perrone! THANK GOD! I have learned more from him in a DAY than I had in my classes. I feel much safer in the water just because of how he explained things. I have now been shown to hold trim and was able to achieve neutral buoyancy. ( as long as you dont ask me to unclip something LOL) I understand the concept of the long hose and "necklace" back up reg. I am getting a BP/W next month so I am sinking deeper into the DARK SIDE. When I brought my reg in for some fixing, the looks I got in the diveshop were quite interesting. Taking out the reg with a 7' hose I was asked "what the hell you doing girl?" :D Also, I went to another LDS and I was looking at their gear. They were asking me questions about mine and I basically told them I am giving up my TUSA PASSAGE for a simple BP/W. The guy looked at me and said "so, you like to be horizontal huh?" :rofl3: Ummm yknow containing laughter is really hard. But it is feasible.

I intend on taking my diving as far as I can and I am grateful to be shown the beginning concepts of DIR so early. It has improved my understanding and my abilities by leaps and bounds! I can't wait to take cavern and then Fundies and just keep building my knowledge and abilities! The scubaboard has been a wonderful resource to me also! I just wish I knew about it before I bought everything, but it has shown me the difference between the two! So live and learn!

Well in a few days I am off to Freeport to put my new skills to work! I know to expect some intersting comments on my setup. Especially my reg hose and Jets. But I am prepared! I can't wait to be "horizontal"!

Great thread!

Carolyn:blinking:
ONWARD,DOWNWARD, and into the BLUE!

My journey to the darkside began with my sith lord Ed(now a GUE instructor) during my training as a dive master. I watched for weeks as he slide through the water in a wing and back plate and kept saying that is just too techy for me. Mid way through the course, I got a opertunity to try the rig in the pool for a night. I did a slightly less then scientific comparison between that night and the night before performing a few skills and kicks. I was hooked, it was like a Porsch verse a Hugo. I ordered my first wing and backplate that next day.

My total conversion took a while. I fought for certain gear to remain in the configuration(still dive a non DIR fin, but don't tell anyone). Slowly I realized the logic behind the gear and started to see the connection to the philosophy. That was the summer of 2004. I have since become a PADI and climbed the ranks to Staff Instructor, I even moved to the caribbean to start a new life in the dive industry in St. Croix, but the core philosophy that dark side offers is still my guiding force. When I teach for PADI, I emphasize bouancy far beyond there requirements. I introduce students to the concept of DIR and the associated gear to try and pass on the experience that I had with my mentor.

Kevin

Kevrumbo:
Continuous Measurable Improvement way over and above this Cluster Foul-up. . .

:shakehead
Man that is just wrong..... Very sad diving. That's a bad example for all divers no matter what agency. Not good role models at all. But I've seen a lot of this stuff already since my "introduction" to diving. I must admit I'm getting a little thirsty :eyebrow:

I wouldn't call myself a DIR diver at this point, but DIR curious. I want to learn more about and feel it is the path that I wish to be on. This incident is what made me decide that I should learn about DIR:
http://www.singledivers.com/surfaceinterval/index.php?showtopic=10755

Almost getting yourself killed or seriously hurt can really change your view of diving.
So after my incident, I have spent a lot of time reading and chating with Perrone Ford,TSandM and NWGratefuldiver (did you guys know I was a fan?). They have been a big influence on my thoughts about diving. I am grateful to have had met them and to have had them share information with me.

I will always remember my first night IM'ing with Perrone. He has taught me so much. I could hardly read or type fast enough. He is always there to answer a question and provide an encouraging word. I look forward to diving with him one day. He has become both a friend and mentor. I owe him a great deal of thanks.

Just to make a point about the video in the above link -- That's an instructor training class, and at least some of the students are not students, but are deliberately being as awkward and confused and disruptive as they can be, to stress the instructor candidates.

It's still a pretty funny video.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom