When did you "become" DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

do it easy:
OK, time for a good old fashion hijack- What is the connection betwen DIR and classes?

I've read some of the reports and the classes seem solid, but from what I read on the internet, DIR revolves around classes, specifically GUE classes or classes from DIR divers. Do we just not hear from the "quiet masses" out there that are doing the dives and not taking "offical" classes?

Is there something about the type of diver that is drawn to DIR that draws them to the classes as well? From my perspective of someone who has never taken a GUE class, it seems as if everyone is hooked on getting the card and proving that they can do the skills. Maybe it's about the limitatiions and restrictions of the certification level and following the rules? If the card says certified to 130' and one deco gas, is that the limit?

Is this just my warped perception or is there something to this?

I think its for a few reasons

1) The GUE classes (from what I have seen) are hard. Maybe there are others that are as demanding, but so far I have no seen anything, at least on a consistent agency-wide basis.
2) Because there are fewer GUE instructors, people often have to travel to go to the classes so it becomes more of a big deal to write about
3) GUE does emphasize ongoing training, and ongoing diving at your highest certification level.
4) There are plenty of GUE trained divers writing plenty of interesting dive/trip reports, but dont feel the need to describe GUE or DIR-specific stuff in those reports, so there is definitely a bias there.

do it easy:
Is it the simplicity of the training that makes it appealing? GUE has two (or three) paths after DIR-F that lead to either cave or tech, while PADI has that training chart that looks like a government decision making flowchart.

I'm under the impression that the people who are drawn to DIR also seek out the measurement that it provides. There's nothing wrong with that, but it appears to me to be a common mindset. Am I on to something here or do I need to up my medication?

Nothing to do with the simplicty of the course structure for me.

In my opinion (which I am sure many will disagree with), GUE/DIR provides the absolute best most consistent training I have encountered in diving. There is no other way I can see right now that I would like to train.

However, most of the "beauty" of it all only becomes apparent when you start to work your way through the classes/gain more experience.

it's highly amusing to me to remember what I "thought" was DIR before I took a class, and then after DIR-F, then again after Tech1, and now after taking cave1, and realizing that I *still* dont fully "get it" even though each class has transformed my thinking.

It's easy to talk about "team skills" and certain procedures on the internet or on dry land, but when you see how these are really applied in the water (and DIR-F gives just the briefest glimpse of this), it can truly be amazing. Cave1 really opened my eyes in a way I didn't think it could.

it's highly amusing to me to remember what I "thought" was DIR before I took a class, and then after DIR-F, then again after Tech1, and now after taking cave1, and realizing that I *still* dont fully "get it" even though each class has transformed my thinking.

It's easy to talk about "team skills" and certain procedures on the internet or on dry land, but when you see how these are really applied in the water (and DIR-F gives just the briefest glimpse of this), it can truly be amazing. Cave1 really opened my eyes in a way I didn't think it could.

Haven't done Cave or Tech yet, but I totally agree with this.

nadwidny:
I used to enjoy Kane's sparring on rec.scuba with the ultimate DIR mouthpiece who went by the nom de guerre of Jammer 6.
Jammer 6 ... turned out to also be the ultimate cyber diver ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

TSandM:
Haven't done Cave or Tech yet, but I totally agree with this.

it was also definitely a surprise to me that in cave1, I would realize just how little I had *really* thought about what is and is not a "team resource" -- something I honestly did not expect to happen (but has already improved our diving since the class in at least one specific instance)

NWGratefulDiver:
Jammer 6 ... turned out to also be the ultimate cyber diver ...

He knew his role and played it perfectly. It was a brilliant performance, unlike the cyber divers out there now, all of whom take themselves seriously.

He also turned out to be one hell of a good guy.

limeyx:

Cool, well thanks to you guys I just sent off an email to inquire about a local DIR-F class. I want to take Cavern but I'll take advice given in this thread and take Fundies first. I need a new skillset (kicks etc.) that I just won't be able to learn in some organizations. At least the one I've trained in so far. So here goes.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom