What's your pony setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The slung pony also has the significant advantage that if the second stage were to screw up and start freeflowing, the bottle MAY still be usable by manually feathering the bottle on and off for each inhalation cycle on the ascent.
Well that's one thing mine can't do as there is no knob on the valveulator.

20200605_134840.jpg

The FFM was on there because I was going to wear it to publix with my drysuit at one point. Then I decided that it might upset some folks so I never did it. Obviously I don't really carry it with a FFM. The point of the photo is to show the lack of a valve handwheel. If it's full of gas, it's on. I kind of like it that way.

Great point - I decided to do my first SAC test last night. View attachment 590210
I'd also do comparisons while swimming at a constant depth (say 18 meters give or take) for 15 minutes at a typical finning rate (if you record that distance even better).

When planning your dives, depending on the expected exertion, you want to multiply by some factor that you determine (totally up to you to figure out if that is correct or not).

I'd also do comparisons while swimming at a constant depth (say 18 meters give or take) for 15 minutes at a typical finning rate (if you record that distance even better).

When planning your dives, depending on the expected exertion, you want to multiply by some factor that you determine (totally up to you to figure out if that is correct or not).

Agreed - I'll be doing that once I'm able to get in the water, in about a week. I've been thinking about those multipliers as well.

I'm taking the SDI Solo class soon and am looking into a pony rig. Something between a 19 and a 40 I imagine. What do you use, how are you carrying it?

In my opinion it is better to carry two primary cylinders, and only consume 2/3 of each. Better balance. Tested gear (on each dive).

If you want to carry a dedicated "pony bottle" instead then remember that more gas does not always weigh more.
Weight vs buoyancy...

In my opinion it is better to carry two primary cylinders, and only consume 2/3 of each. Better balance. Tested gear (on each dive).

If you want to carry a dedicated "pony bottle" instead then remember that more gas does not always weigh more.
Weight vs buoyancy...
Doubles are better. However, the are a lot more to deal with. I've found that with a small pony, I'm far more likely to actually dive with the extra equipment. For example, if I'm diving on a 20' deep reef in the keys I'm not bothering with doubles. However, I might be inclined to strap on that 13cuft pony.

Doubles are better. However, the are a lot more to deal with. I've found that with a small pony, I'm far more likely to actually dive with the extra equipment. For example, if I'm diving on a 20' deep reef in the keys I'm not bothering with doubles. However, I might be inclined to strap on that 13cuft pony.

Hi Kelemvor,

I agree with you totally. Either my 6cf or 13cf travels very well and is almost unnoticeable while diving. Last week I did not use any redundancy while diving on shallow reefs in the Keys. CESA is a reasonable alternative at shallow depths. I was also loosely diving with a group of photographers and some newbs.

OP: My 6cf is back-mounted and my 13cf is slung. I use my 6cf for shallow solo diving and group diving. My 13cf is used for true solo dives down to 110 feet.

I solo dive in completely benign conditions. I don't need 40cf or even 80cf for bailout in benign conditions. My regulators are rebuilt whenever testing prooves a need, or more than two years has elapsed between overhaul. Regulators just don't fail catastrophically that often. I test my regs before and after a diving adventure.

For example, I would not solo dive on the Spiegel Grove when the current is "moderate" to strong.

My ponies travel on jetliners on a regular basis. Twinsets don't travel well, IMHO. SM for solo is an option.

@Kelemvor, how much gas do you use while doing practice pony bottle ascents and from what depth?
Do you combine:
  • replacing your mask,
  • shooting your SMB,
  • manually regaining neutral buoyancy,
  • do you plan to do a safety stop,
  • all while on a bailout bottle?
Thanks for your response in advance,
m

I recently got in to solo'ing. I took the SDI solo course last month. I originally bought a 19 CF AL but decided to move up to a 30 CF AL after going through some SAC calcs in finer detail. I think a 30-40 CF AL is the sweet spot for most solo divers, depending on your SAC and where you want to take your training in the future.

I sling mine on the left using a basic XS scuba stage bottle sling. Still fine tuning the set up and weight distribution but it's worked out well so far. Side mount has the advantage of being able to see and manipulate the whole kit with relative ease and if configured thoughtfully, it is a nice compact unit that's easy to carry above and below the surface.

@Kelemvor, how much gas do you use while doing practice pony bottle ascents and from what depth?
Do you combine:
  • replacing your mask,
  • shooting your SMB,
  • manually regaining neutral buoyancy,
  • do you plan to do a safety stop,
  • all while on a bailout bottle?
Thanks for your response in advance,
m
Guess I missed the question... I've only "practiced" with it a handful of times. Once I've got the reg in my mouth, there isn't any difference from using the regular backmount cylinder. My "normal" is to orally inflate my bcd at the surface so there's no change there if my main tank is unusable. If I was really on the pony (not practicing) I would not consider a safety stop, I'm going straight up unless I'm in deco (which I have never had an "accidental" deco obligation). I normally orally inflate my SMB, so the procedure there does not change if I'm on the pony. Generally if I actually have to use the pony, dive's over immediately.

I might have to be re-educated. I didn't do any real dives (outside my pool) in 2020. There's a plague going around or something... not sure of the details :wink:.

I can see why you might not plan for a safety stop on a pony bottle, but if you arrive at 12-15 feet and are calm and the pony is still working, why would you not do the safety stop?

Are you concerned about running out of air while neutral and resting at 12 feet?
Do you think it prudent to save a little air in the pony for some topside emergency that you might find after ascending?

I personally, think I would try to perform a minute or two of a safety stop on a pony if the dive was anywhere near the NDC limits or if I was unsure if the ascent speed was not optimal.

I can see why you might not plan for a safety stop on a pony bottle, but if you arrive at 12-15 feet and are calm and the pony is still working, why would you not do the safety stop?

Are you concerned about running out of air while neutral and resting at 12 feet?
Do you think it prudent to save a little air in the pony for some topside emergency that you might find after ascending?

I personally, think I would try to perform a minute or two of a safety stop on a pony if the dive was anywhere near the NDC limits or if I was unsure if the ascent speed was not optimal.

Being a freshly certified solo diver I can say that at least SDI teaches that your redundant air supply should contain enough gas to allow you to ascend from your planned depth at 30 feet/min and do a 3-5 min safety stop if the situation allows for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom