What's your pony setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TDiddy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm taking the SDI Solo class soon and am looking into a pony rig. Something between a 19 and a 40 I imagine. What do you use, how are you carrying it?

I asked for and followed the feedback from the experienced crew here, so I think this is a pretty standard setup.

p3624250866-5.jpg

AL19 with a Conshelf VI, slung on the right side (Due to muscle memory from other training, most advocate left side). I use ball bungies to stow the hose (makes it super easy to re-stow after practicing with it) and a button gauge.
full

My advise is always worth what you paid for it!
Respectfully,
James

When I want a lighter set I use a 19CF pony with a couple of worm gear hose clamps, 2 pieces of alum rod and a tank bank that I mount of right side of tank.

When I am diving deeper or want more air I use doubles.

Part of it depends on what you are going to do in the future, are you just going to do recreational solo diving or are you looking forward to progressing into tech or deco diving? If you are looking for the latter a better option may be to get an AL 40 and side sling it to start to build muscle memory.

GetAttachmentThumbnail

For purely pony I sling a 13 cf (I am 5’2”). Eric has a 19 cf for local and a 13 when traveling by airline (back in the good ol’ days :(). We use the dir configuration with a few personal modifications.

DIR-diver.com - Stagebottle rigging

I dive a BP/W with a standard Hogarthian harness. I wear mine as a stage on my left side rigged like any technical stage or deco bottle. Mine is a Luxfer AL40. I use a quality regulator (Apeks ATX200) with an adjustable 2nd stage. That allows me to turn it down to avoid accidental freeflow upon entry. Just like a stage or deco bottle I keep mine charged but turned off. I will feather the valve a few times during the dive to make sure it remains charged. It's just 2nd nature having been trained as a technical diver as well.

I asked for and followed the feedback from the experienced crew here, so I think this is a pretty standard setup.

View attachment 589876
This is a nice setup. As per @saxman242 suggestion, I'd add a simple chocker which comprises of a simple double bungee loop around the cylinder neck. This feeds through the boltsnap gate which is then clipped off on your left shoulder D ring. In water this will keep the cylinder nicely tucked under your arm whilst still being able to pull it down for access. In addition to extra streamlining it prevents the pendulum effect, although this is more common with larger cylinders.

Something like this
IMG_20190310_155859.jpg

Thanks everyone, great feedback and perspectives!

Back
Top Bottom