What's your pony setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haven't seen another diver use my particular setup.

30 cf pony mounted upright on my main tank on my right side. 3 lbs offset with weight in the BCD integrated pockets. Pony second stage regulator on a necklace hanging below my chin. I have a transmitter on both tanks, with a computer on each wrist (pony bottle computer is on my left wrist). That way I always know how much gas is in the tank, I dive with it valve-open.

That's because you have more crap than NASA and no control of your valve

An interesting assertion, what evidence do you have to support it?

I to have dove a similar setup, albiet transmitting to one computer, and been able to reach and manipulate the valves on both tanks. Took a little adjusting to get the tanks in the right place but it is possible.

Or this this just another of your non-sensical posts?

@happy-diver

Let's see if I can clear up the perpetual haze you appear to be struggling with on just about every one of your meaningless, rambling and sometimes offensive posts.

The pony bottle transmitter replaces the spg and hose on the pony bottle 1st stage regulator and the pony bottle wrist computer doubles as a backup computer (gas mix is always set to same as main tank) so there is no more "crap", than you probably carry and probably less.

I don't need to "control the valve" because it's always open just like your main tank is always open.

You dive you!

But....

1) keep in mind their have been divers splash with what the THOUGHT were open valves, only to suddenly realize slightly later that they were in fact NOT open or not open completely (that's a fun thing to find out as you are rapidly descending to the bottom, been there, done that, don't recommend - glad I was competent in my valve drills)

2) sometimes things happen that may require you shut off or feather a valve during a dive (free flow, leaky hose or connection)

In these or similar situations, being able to reach/control your valves is very helpful.

Also, if your pony bottle valve is open during the dive and you have a leak that goes unnoticed, you may have significantly less gas than you expect, should you need to go to your pony.
Maybe not if you have a transmitter on your pony...but possibly...

Just a few things to consider.

full.jpg

^I'm thinking permanent narcosis, it's the only possible explanation.

sometimes things happen that may require you shut off or feather a valve during a dive (free flow, leaky hose or connection)

How many recreational single tank divers can reach their valves without taking off their rig? My guess is close to zero.

Also, if your pony bottle valve is open during the dive and you have a leak that goes unnoticed, you may have significantly less gas than you expect, should you need to go to your pony.
Maybe not if you have a transmitter on your pony...but possibly...

Not possible if you have a transmitter monitoring the gas in your pony bottle.

How many recreational single tank divers can reach their valves without taking off their rig? My guess is close to zero.

Maybe you should start a poll. Maybe a 2 parter.

1) Can you reach your tank valve?
2) Do you think being able to reach your tank valve could prove to be a beneficial skill to have?

You might be surprised.

Speaking of being surprised...

Might want to be careful limiting your training and preparedness to only what you consider to be possible.

But you dive you!

Back
Top Bottom