What's your pony setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a 13cuft pony. I managed to find a cheap integrated valve/regulator.

For what it's worth, backmounting a pony can be dangerous. Several accounts of deaths directly attributed to a backmounted pony here: Do you actually see people diving with pony bottles?

I'm taking the SDI Solo class soon and am looking into a pony rig. Something between a 19 and a 40 I imagine. What do you use, how are you carrying it?
I was lined up to do this course in May in Cayman, but Covid had other plans. I've already been diving an AL19 slung (as in my pic) and would have been carrying it for the course as well as the other dives I would have been doing (I dive with it on every dive). They told me they provide an AL40 for the course, but have no issue with me using my setup. I'm already very used to my setup, so would have likely dived with theirs for the experience of it.
I would suggest trying theirs if they provide and then you'll be even more equipped to determine what size you might prefer.

For what it's worth, backmounting a pony can be dangerous
Neither of those deaths are a result of the pony being backmounted, but instead due to confusion over regulator location. I wouldn't say they are evidence that backmounting a pony is inherently dangerous.

For what it's worth, backmounting a pony can be dangerous. Several accounts of deaths directly attributed to a backmounted pony here: Do you actually see people diving with pony bottles?

Very good point. I want full access to mine & want it removable. One major benefit to slinging it as a stage.

I took a minute to read the accounts and I agree with @saxman242, the incidents were related to training rather than indicating that a back mounted pony if inherently dangerous. In the first case a diver did not properly check that his air was on, this could happen with a back mount single or back mount doubles too. In the 2nd incident a diver did not know which regulator was which. That he did an arm sweep to recover a lost regulator and ended up with the regulator attached to his pony rather than his primary tells me it is likely that his backup was dangling freely rather than being properly secured. Then the diver, when OOA, never switched to the other tank, that sounds like a training issue not a configuration issue to me.

There are practices, and equipment configurations,that you can use to minimize the risk, but not fully eliminate it. For example on my back mounted pony my primary is a 40’ hose wrapped under arm and my back mounted pony is on a short hose that is bungled around my neck (in primary donate fashion). This works well and is one of the techniques mentioned in the thread you referenced.

I tend to think the OP in that thread drew the wrong conclusions. The conclusions he should have drawn were that pre-dive checks need to be thorough and divers should be highly familiar with their configurations and trained to do the dives they engage in. Specifically the OP in that thread concluded that side slung ponies are safer than backmount ponies because tech diver have been using them that way for decades. He attributes success to the wrong thing, configuration vs training.

I would also say that Scuba diving is inherently dangerous, that is why training is required before you are allowed to dive and you have to routinely practice skills to maintain proficiency.

I'll still stick with staging mine. Full access to the valve, 1st and 2nd stages, and can remove it if necessary. Plus I trained that way so it just feels natural to me. It's just how I feel more comfortable carrying mine. Other's mileage will obviously vary.

A completely reasonable conclusion. The best configuration is the one you are trained to use and most comfortable with in an emergency.

I'll still stick with staging mine. Full access to the valve, 1st and 2nd stages, and can remove it if necessary. Plus I trained that way so it just feels natural to me. It's just how I feel more comfortable carrying mine. Other's mileage will obviously vary.
No disagreement here. I "sidemount" mine when I use it because it's a more convenient configuration to me. I just don't think that backmounting in inherently dangerous.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom