What's with the airfare from Houston to Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are a few factors to take into account if you fly via San Pedro Sula. First, the cost of flights and checked baggage (and maybe the ferry). Second, the extra time to make the hop(s) to Roatan. If your flight into SPS is late, you may need to spend the night there. Third, the risk you have with your baggage getting delayed or lost on a local carrier. Even if all you have is a carry on bag, you may be told to check it on a puddle jumper plane since those planes sometimes have weight restrictions so one of your bags may not arrive on the same flight as you. Also, in Roatan, the airlines do not bring your baggage to your hotel if it is delayed. You will have to call the airport and may also have to pay for transportation to and from the airport to get it.

I am not saying you shouldn't fly into SPS. Just make sure you look at the whole picture.

i fly chicago to sps (via miami) on aa at least 5 times a year. i fly mid week and my average price this year has been less than $400 rt. add on the $220 rt to the islands and its still a heck of a deal and cm airlines (my connecting company of choice) has never lost or delayed my luggage.

i fly chicago to sps (via miami) on aa at least 5 times a year. i fly mid week and my average price this year has been less than $400 rt. add on the $220 rt to the islands and its still a heck of a deal and cm airlines (my connecting company of choice) has never lost or delayed my luggage.
:thumb: From Houston, I think it'd be worth more to fly non-stop, but cool. Just don't book for SPS. :eek: I did accidentally price IAH-SPS. It was cheap, but a lousy dive destination. :laughing:

Last edited:
Hey etexdiver... You are booking too far in advance for one thing. I can remember not too long ago getting IAH - RTB for $380 all the time. I am finding fares all over the world with United/Continental have increased a tad since they joined up. Fares to Yap are now $300-400 more than a few months ago. I could name a few other destinations where I used to travel with United/Continental but am now seeking other flight options. Even my consolidator's fares are going up. Maybe United has to pay for that new Dreamliner...?

FB Liquid Diving Adventures | Facebook

---------- Post Merged at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:18 AM ----------

Oh yeah, on San Pedro Sula.... I rarely book any flights thru SPS. Although "laurenceh" flies that route often and has had good luck, all you need is to have your bag lost once and vacation delayed or ruined and you will avoid multiple connections. That said, when I book resports on Utila, the packages often includes flights from SPS or RTB. I always urge direct flights to RTB if at all possible. As a travel agent I make no commission on air fares, but still work to get my clients the best fares. I always weigh the rick of lost bag/delayed connections against the cost of air fare. Ultimately I always think what would I do for myself. If I am going to spend $3000-$4000 per person for a dive trip to Honduras, I am not going to risk messing up the entire trip to save a couple of hundred on air fare. To me it's a bit like travel insurance.

Hey etexdiver... You are booking too far in advance for one thing. I can remember not too long ago getting IAH - RTB for $380 all the time. I am finding fares all over the world with United/Continental have increased a tad since they joined up. Fares to Yap are now $300-400 more than a few months ago. I could name a few other destinations where I used to travel with United/Continental but am now seeking other flight options. Even my consolidator's fares are going up. Maybe United has to pay for that new Dreamliner...?

I am so happy to hear someone else talking about how the merger screwed up Continental. I used to be a LOYAL Continental customer. For years I have accumulated miles that I could use to fly to Roatan. Now they have screwed things up so badly...it's not even worth trying to figure out a way to book reward flights with United. What a waste of a good airline!

Frequent Flyer miles were such fun decades ago. 1988 was the joyride year, but still good to play with before and after for several years. Now nearly worthless. American Air sent an email about earning double miles, but still can't spend them at the cheap level. I bought some extra miles from Delta last winter on half price special so I'd have enough to fly the family to DC, then they pulled out of Lubbock. Continental - got some, not much, don't much care. They just don't mean much anymore.

CajunDiva, first let me say I loved the old Continental (maybe not their little sandwich rolls). Really really didn't like United. When the merger happened, my OnePass miles rolled over into the MileagePlus. My number is the same, everything is same same. So, now concerned, I'm asking you what I've missed? Please tell me what problem(s) have arisen for you. TIA

Maybe you're at a higher Elite level than I am, but I have searched high and low for reward travel with United to numerous different dive locations with very unhappy results. IF there is a reward flight available, it is the absolutely most inconvenient route. For example, if I want to get to Bonaire, I have to fly from Louisiana to Houston to Newark to Bonaire when there are direct flights from Houston to Bonaire...they are just not open for reward travel. Then to add insult to injury, I would have to spend the night in Houston on the way home because the afternoon/evening flights to Louisiana are not offered with reward travel so I can't make my connection until the following morning.

The last two times we flew through Houston, our connecting flight was delayed for hours because they didn't have a pilot for our plane. And it's not only us...one of our dive buddies flies through Houston at least once a month for business and he goes through the same thing on a regular basis.

The merger has taken what used to be a very good airline and turned it into one of the worst. Instead of bringing United UP to the standards of Continental, they brought Continental DOWN to the level of United. I had such high hopes for the merger, but now I have no hope at all.

When I see ANY company doing its best to take advantage of its loyal customers (frequent flyers!) like that, I turn around and walk the other way. They had my loyalty for a long time - now they have driven me away.

Thanks CajunDiver. A lot for me to think about. I have not been using my points for my regular flights because attempting to build for First Class reward points for trips to SE Asia. Hadn't even considered what I might have to go through with routing. :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom