Budget Trip Challenge - Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. PCR test no more than 2 days before arrival. Some places you can get a free test with a fast enough turn-around. Worst case, about $200 per person at your airport.
  2. Self-test on day of arrival (provided free of charge at customs)
  3. PCR test fifth day on the island. This runs about $125 and there are plenty of places to get it done.
  4. Antigen or PCR test day before return to US. $65 on the island. You can save some money bringing your own self test, but you need to be careful what you buy. A self test for this purpose must be administered/supervised via video by a medical professional and not all home tests offer this.
These are no loner the requirements, as of January 16.
1. If you are fully vaccinated, you can do a PCR (or other NAAT lest, like ID-NOW) test within 48h of departure for Bonaire (not arrival) OR an antigen test within 24h of departure.
2. No longer required.
3. No longer required.
4. An antigen test can be had for as little as $35 on Bonaire, on the day before you fly home.
1644267439759.png

These are no loner the requirements, as of January 16.
1. If you are fully vaccinated, you can do a PCR (or other NAAT lest, like ID-NOW) test within 48h of departure for Bonaire (not arrival) OR an antigen test within 24h of departure.
2. No longer required.
3. No longer required.
4. An antigen test can be had for as little as $35 on Bonaire, on the day before you fly home.
View attachment 705849
Thanks for the heads up. Those middle two sure didn’t last long. The self-test on arrival going away isn’t too surprising. I’m sure that was getting a bit expensive. The fifth day test, though, I could see the providers making an effort to keep.

I'm planning a trip to Bonaire with a buddy for the fall. It will be our first time there and we're trying to keep the costs low. We can only get a week off of work, so that limits a longer more economical per dive trip. Here's our breakdown per person for everything except food. It will be 8 nights due to United's Saturday to Sunday flight schedule.

Round trip on United from Houston with one checked bag - $644
Airbnb 2 bedroom apartment with tourist tax included - $308
Manual transmission truck rental with full coverage for two drivers - $240
6-days unlimited shore diving with nitrox from Dive Friends - $200
Marine Park Tag - $45
Gasoline - $40

Comes out to $1477 per person without food. We might add on a Dive Friends 2-tank boat dive for $60 plus tips and an additional shore dive day since we'll be there eight nights.

Please let me know what I'm missing or where you think costs could be reduced.

I'm planning a trip to Bonaire with a buddy for the fall. It will be our first time there and we're trying to keep the costs low. We can only get a week off of work, so that limits a longer more economical per dive trip. Here's our breakdown per person for everything except food. It will be 8 nights due to United's Saturday to Sunday flight schedule.

Round trip on United from Houston with one checked bag - $644
Airbnb 2 bedroom apartment with tourist tax included - $308
Manual transmission truck rental with full coverage for two drivers - $240
6-days unlimited shore diving with nitrox from Dive Friends - $200
Marine Park Tag - $45
Gasoline - $40

Comes out to $1477 per person without food. We might add on a Dive Friends 2-tank boat dive for $60 plus tips and an additional shore dive day since we'll be there eight nights.

This is typically my cost for trips to Bonaire as well. Maybe a tad more for lodging, but still use Airbnb. For me this is the best value diving trip out there. I don't like vacationing around 'lots' of other or 'crowds' of tourists, so Bonaire is perfect. I can handle just divers, if the general lazy public isn't buzzing all over the place. :)

End-of-week tank of gas may cost close to twice that. When I was there in 2019, a gas station north of Kralendijk I used wouldn't take my VISA credit card, so have enough cash handy to cover your tank of gas, just in case.

Unless you're renting gear, are you confident you can get your dive gear, clothing and other essentials into 1 checked bag and one personal item apiece, and the checked bag not over 50-lbs? Just asking, 'cause I couldn't.

Read the fine print at your AirBnB provider. Over the years, I've seen some up-charge policies regarding 'excessive' air conditioner use (electricity is expensive on Bonaire), and if I left it on when staying at Buddy Dive Resort several years ago the maid would turn it off during the day. This may not affect you, but be aware.

End-of-week tank of gas may cost close to twice that. When I was there in 2019, a gas station north of Kralendijk I used wouldn't take my VISA credit card, so have enough cash handy to cover your tank of gas, just in case.

Unless you're renting gear, are you confident you can get your dive gear, clothing and other essentials into 1 checked bag and one personal item apiece, and the checked bag not over 50-lbs? Just asking, 'cause I couldn't.

Read the fine print at your AirBnB provider. Over the years, I've seen some up-charge policies regarding 'excessive' air conditioner use (electricity is expensive on Bonaire), and if I left it on when staying at Buddy Dive Resort several years ago the maid would turn it off during the day. This may not affect you, but be aware.
Thanks for the tips! I was budgeting $80 for the end of week gas, $40 for each of us, though a little cushion is probably a good idea.

Baggage limitations will definitely be a challenge. I'm hopeful that I'll be able to make it work, but it will be tough. Time will tell. I have my own gear and travel pretty light, lycra dive skin (no wetsuit, I don't get cold in tropics), no camera stuff, etc. This will be my first time flying with my whole kit though. Will need to do some test packing to confirm if can meet the weight limits.

Oh boy did I ever see some ridiculous house rules on Airbnb. AC charge per day, only 8 hours of AC per day, kilowatt limits etc. We're considering the Tasca building a few blocks northeast of Divi Flamingo I think it is. We'll be on the lookout for questionable Airbnb fine print!

Thanks again for the advice!

I need to add pre and post covid testing (unless that changes by fall) and airport parking at home to my expense list.

I was budgeting $80 for the end of week gas, $40 for each of us
Yes, that sounds about right. I didn't realize that was the 2-way split cost. Food will be a bit pricey; it's brought in by container, which is expensive. If you eat out, don't expect free refills on sodas, and unless things have changed over the years, don't be surprised if after you order a soda and a meal, the can of soda and a glass of ice are brought well before the meal, so you may be done with your soda by the time the food gets there. I tend to order water with meals, and buy canned soda to keep back at the room.

When you eat out, don't be surprised if 'Catch of the Day' is generally Mahi-Mahi or Wahoo. 'They' must catch an awful lot of those. Once in awhile you may see barracuda or red snapper.

If you like souvenirs, which I collect for our kid, one good option is key chains. Nearly always available, in a variety, much more durable than shot glasses (and less of the wrong message for our kid), much more compact than license plates, easily displayed, potentially have a practical use, not too expensive...just a thought.

Wherever you stay, I hope you'll take photos inside and out and post a trip report that includes what you think of the accommodation. Bonaire isn't so large that where you stay (along the west coast) is hugely important for dive site access, but people put some thought into what housing arrangement to use. I have no experience with AirBnB or VRBO.

Also the lunch buffet in Exito Restaurant. It's on the north end of the restaurant. You pick your meat and sides.
I went by Exito's today and the building is for sale and they are closed up. Did they move?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom