Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are no corals in the Pacific near CR, but there are some colorful fish, like King Angelfish. My pics from Ocotal & Bats are in this album while Isla del Cano pics are here. Isla del Cano is not colorful at all, mostly you'll see reef sharks, large jacks and rays. And Roatan/TBR pics are here.
Those pics are gorgeous! Which place had better visibility? Isle cano looks so amazing

So Roatan had more of a nightlife? And by better diving you mean conditions or wildlife?
I think Tamarindo has nightlife these days. Roatan's dive sites were better than what I saw out of Playa del Coco. West End is sketchy like much of Caribbean Central America.

I think Tamarindo has nightlife these days. Roatan's dive sites were better than what I saw out of Playa del Coco. West End is sketchy like much of Caribbean Central America.
Thank you!

West End is sketchy? What is your point of reference for that? We are there regularly and I'll let my kids 15+ be in West End on their own during the day, and on the main waterfront road in the evening. My wife and her girl friends will also eat and walk the town in the evening without issues. There can be issues, just as anywhere these days, but some common sense will usually steer you right. We have enjoyed it so much over the years that we have a place within walking distance of the West End.

The marine park does a good job of preserving the reef and there are plenty of dive ops so you don't need to settle for cattle boats. There's a reasonable variety of dive site options, and although we have not been fortunate enough yet to see whale sharks there's still a pretty good ecosystem and plenty of fish.

West End is sketchy? What is your point of reference for that?

Points of reference would be US Virgin Islands, BVI, Barbados, Tobago, etc. v. Limon, Bocas Del Toro, Puerto Viejo . . .

I think it depends what you're after. I preferred Roatan's diving for sure.

I have been diving in Roatan and Costa Rica. I'd take Costa Rica any day, I was in Drake Bay, diving at Cano Island. Lots of huge manta ray, sharks, turtles, great viz.

Attachments

• PICT0012.JPG
    PICT0012.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 73
I have been diving in Roatan and Costa Rica. I'd take Costa Rica any day, I was in Drake Bay, diving at Cano Island. Lots of huge manta ray, sharks, turtles, great viz.

Nice, I've been to Pavones a number of times to surf, but did not dive there. It's certainly a beautiful part of the country and I think the roads are vastly improved since I was last there.

Ahh I see ok thanks again! Also I don’t mind long boat rides. My favorite dive was tiger beach, I was lucky enough to be the only diver on the tour was almost 1.5 hours from shore but so worth it.

Somebody has to pay for the gas. When we were at CR, Rocket Frogs didn't really have a set schedule for trips to Cat and Bats: they'd go if enough people showed up in the morning, but with only one or two divers... they'd probably do it if you pay 5 or 6 times the price.

Somebody has to pay for the gas. When we were at CR, Rocket Frogs didn't really have a set schedule for trips to Cat and Bats: they'd go if enough people showed up in the morning, but with only one or two divers... they'd probably do it if you pay 5 or 6 times the price.
I actually emailed them prior to reading this lol thanks for the heads up

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom