What's with Blue Hole????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divedoggie:
Has anyone gotten updates yet?

We are proceeding with the latest info...dredged all week...Weekend will have limited vizzzz....Closed again on Monday for more DREDGING. :(
I checked with the Corp of Engineers, and they are saying that they do intend to keep it open during the weekends. It was also said that nothing major will be happening before June and then it's only the weekdays.

The gal sounded a little vague, so who knows. I'm still going out on Sunday, maybe even Sat. night if I can shake loose.

We dove Blue Hole Saturday night and Sunday and appearently (so far) the last info the Corp of Eng. gave seems to be correct. There was no sign of cleaning, all the bales of straw are gone and the place is back to "normal". If you call a gazillion divers normal. Actually it wasn't too bad, but it was crowded.

what temp is Perch right now?

scubajoh44:
what temp is Perch right now?

Dry suit temps :D

I did not get exact temps from Kent, he'll be back tomorrow, and will likley respond. He did say however that the vis was rather poor. On their second dive about a foot, so vis at the hole is better even with the *Gazillion* divers that were there this weekend!

Just got back. We did 6 dives at the Hole and 2 at Perch.

Perch had a thermocline that was 48 degrees. The surface temp was 54 degrees.

We dove Blue Hole Sunday afternoon, and shared it with 2 other divers. Then 2 dives Sunday night..surfacing from the 2nd night dive at 11:00pm.
Monday(today) Our small group and 1 guy diving solo.

Water was clear and The Blue Hole was a completely different experience without the weekend hoards. It makes me want to go back for some mid-week fun ASAP, and before the projects begin full steam in June.

We brought 24 tanks for the 4 of us, and refilled a few Sunday afternoon before Stella closed.

It was great to see Ron and Dan, and the group from A1. Kevin...Sorry we missed. The Solo diver was an assistant instructor from your shop. I can't remember his name. Nice guy though.

BTW.... The viz at Perch is about 10 - 15 feet. The bottom is very soft and easily stirred up. Viz will immediatly drop to zero when the silt is stirred.

With proper bouyancy and finning technique, the decent viz can be maintained.

Max depth is about 51 feet. I would recommend diving with one buddy team only, and NOT taking novice divers over there.

I was the only one in the group diving dry, and also the only one who stayed warm in Perch.

The water at Perch is stinky. Plan on diving Blue Hole after Perch, or rinsing everything REALLY well.

Having the hole as a private site is neat, isn't it? My Inst and I were only ones there for our two dives on a Friday last month. People started showing up as we finished, met Amascuba then, but I was brain dead by then - he had to remind me we met. :silly:

Perch doesn't get the flow that the hole does. I think I have seen spring action there, but it's not much in, not much seeping out, evaporation and wind cooling, so it is colder and muckier than the hole even if you don't stir the bottom. I just don't care for it much, but it is something different.

Divedoggie:
Just got back. We did 6 dives at the Hole and 2 at Perch.

Perch had a thermocline that was 48 degrees. The surface temp was 54 degrees.

We dove Blue Hole Sunday afternoon, and shared it with 2 other divers. Then 2 dives Sunday night..surfacing from the 2nd night dive at 11:00pm.
Monday(today) Our small group and 1 guy diving solo.

Water was clear and The Blue Hole was a completely different experience without the weekend hoards. It makes me want to go back for some mid-week fun ASAP, and before the projects begin full steam in June.

We brought 24 tanks for the 4 of us, and refilled a few Sunday afternoon before Stella closed.

It was great to see Ron and Dan, and the group from A1. Kevin...Sorry we missed. The Solo diver was an assistant instructor from your shop. I can't remember his name. Nice guy though.

Yeah, it's really quite nice there midweek. I took my daughter there a few weeks ago on a Thursday and it was awesome. I bit windy, but the water was beautiful. Here's a shot looking down from the "cliff"
Bluehole_jpg.JPG

The guy you mentioned is named Marc. He hadn't dove for quite awhile due to work. He was really jamming them in this last weekend.

Back
Top Bottom