What's it like to live in FL?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefGuy:
There's also the South West coast. My favorite part of Florida (for at least a little while longer :)). Not as crowded as the east coast, but property values are going up. The diving is not as good here, but I'm only 2 1/2 hours from Ft. Lauderdale and 4 hours from Key Largo.

I couldn't live on the East coast of Florida. No offence to the conchs that live there, but I'd go nuts.

NoNo Don't tell about the South West Coast, I plan on moving there inside the next five years! Bugs, Hurricanes, Fire, Flood, Disaster!!!!! (It really is a great place) My mother in law and sister in law are in Boca and West Palm, so I MUST stay on the other side of the state.....

LuvDaOcean:
Re: housing prices in CA compared to those in FL, based on ~somewhat~ in-depth research, I think you all have it a bit better than we do. ................. Still, there aren't many houses left in our neighborhood that sell for less than $1 million. Absolute insanity. Go down a bit closer to Silicon Valley and the same house that we live in would go for at least a couple million, if not more. I repeat, absolute insanity.

......................but now I'm left feeling like a deflated balloon.

Ah, well.... things could always be worse, right?

Luvdaocean--
I apologize that my post came out so negative; it was not the intention; I too just get carried away with my frustrations (and yes, I realize I am also a transplant). You do sound like you want to move here for exactly the reasons Florida is "paradise" to some of us. :D

That said, regarding your take on housing prices, a big difference between CA and here is that the Salaries are just not increasing with the cost of living here. Being in HR, I face this issue every day. Simply put, there are so many people moving in that we have our "pick of the litter".......we don't have to increase salaries because there are so many people fighting over the same jobs. Though I as the "HR Rep" know this, I have no business need to increase salaries, regardless of the fact that the cost of living is skyrocketing.
It's a significant factor to take into consideration if you are still in need of making a living after arrival.

I hate to tell you, but the secret is already out. If you're planning to anyway, you may want to consider buying soon.

adurso:
NoNo Don't tell about the South West Coast, I plan on moving there inside the next five years! Bugs, Hurricanes, Fire, Flood, Disaster!!!!! (It really is a great place) My mother in law and sister in law are in Boca and West Palm, so I MUST stay on the other side of the state.....

ReefGuy:
I hate to tell you, but the secret is already out. If you're planning to anyway, you may want to consider buying soon.

I was looking last July, I will be back this July and will put more effort into it. The real estate folks did not want to show me anything under 2 mil, this time my wife will be along and she has a firm upper limit...

KBeck:
Luvdaocean--
I apologize that my post came out so negative; it was not the intention; I too just get carried away with my frustrations
I completely understand where you're coming from and there is absolutely no need to apologize although I do appreciate the gesture. Thank you! It's a crazy world we live in and we all deal with it the best that we're able, I think.

KBeck:
That said, regarding your take on housing prices, a big difference between CA and here is that the Salaries are just not increasing with the cost of living here. ... It's a significant factor to take into consideration if you are still in need of making a living after arrival.
Well, yeah, we would still need to make a living, but my husband's business is not dependent on a set salary. He deals in rare coins, so our livelihood depends on the economy of the nation as a whole really. That's also the reason why we would need to live relatively close to the bigger cities because travel costs for him can reach astronomical highs at times cutting profits down to next to nothing.

In any case, we're not after excess money. We just want what most people want. A roof over our heads, food to eat, one (or three :wink: ) vacation(s) per year, etc.. But in the end, what we want most of all is a good quality of life. Yes, for ourselves, but most especially for our daughter.

Sngldyvr:
I'm now living in North Palm Beach...on the water.next to Juno beach and Jupiter.....It is absolute paradise. Like almost everyone else in this part of the world I'm a real est agent.....but am not in the business of flogging my services to a fellow diver..............belive it or not folks........you can get a really nice place here close to water in the $500 range..........call a Realtor.....they'll do all the work for you and it won't cost you................If that fails....send me the $500 grand...........I'll get you a place.......hee hee...................all the best

This area between Juno Beach and Jupiter was paridise 20 years ago when it was a swamp between A1A and US1. Now, real estate agents and developers messed up paradise by building door to door condos there.

What part of SW Florida were you looking at?

adurso:
I was looking last July, I will be back this July and will put more effort into it. The real estate folks did not want to show me anything under 2 mil, this time my wife will be along and she has a firm upper limit...

ReefGuy:

To further expound upon this:
In Lee County -
  • $246,600 median resale price
  • Prices were 43 percent higher than a year ago, the biggest percentage increase in the state.
  • The number of homes sold also hit a new high: 1,305, which is 48 percent more than a year ago

You can read more here: http://news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050426/RE/504260418/1076

Dear LuvDaOcean,

I grew up in Southern California (Seal Beach/Huntington Beach) and in my opinion, Florida is a lot like SoCal was before Jerry Brown. I currently live in the Orlando area and can only speak 'Florida life' from that perspective, but it may give you some food for thought.

First, in this are, we have a lot of folks from the UK living here, so if your husband were so inclined, he could easily find a local (Real) English Pub and folks with a common background.

Traffic, horrible according to Floridians, is okay by California standards. We have our traffic jams, but mostly they are caused by accidents and not gridlock. A downside is that a lot of our major highways are toll roads, but that's offset by not having a Florida State Tax (unlike the terrific burden that California puts on its citizens).

I still own property in Southern California and I can say with some authority that while the wages in this area are noticably lower, cost of living is also considerably lower as well. Consider that during the winter months, even in Central Florida, heating is only required during a few weeks. We turn off our air conditioning long about November and we're only now just thinking about turning it back on.

An important point to consider is that if you have a screened in pool deck, you can open the doors leading outside and run fans. As you adapt, it's not as bad as those who insist upon living in 70 degree airconditioning year 'round. That screened in pool deck is out main living room. While we don't have a television out there, we have music and we enjoy sitting outside at night, temp in the mid-70's and just talking while sipping wine. For some strange reason, we find this much more enjoyable than the pap Hollywood doles out.

Finally, thanks to the turnpike running through Orlando, Kissimmee and St Cloud (where housing is still affordable), you can get to West Palm beach in about two hours - straight highway driving, car on cruise control, little stress. If you're in Lakeland, tack on another hour as the turnpike is further away. But there are a lot of us divers in Central Florida who bomb on down to various dive sites almost every weekend. So if you wanted to catch a ride, it wouldn't be a stretch.

I have had numerous offers to move back to Southern California and I've done the math. Basically, they would have to pay me at least four times my current pay to move back there and to be honest, I doubt if I would be as happy. My recommendation, jump in now or forever hold this as a dream.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

Best of Luck,

Lee

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom