What's it like to live in FL?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

augie:
While the cost of Florida real estate is skyrocketing, without doing any research I find it hard to believe that it's in the same league as California.

As far as the rest of the adjustment issues, it depends a lot on your outlook on life in general (are you someone that looks for the positive or the negative?).

Sure, we have long, hot, sticky summers. But we can dive in t-shirts for five months out of the year if we so wish.

Bugs? You betcha - but not all of them buzz, crawl, fly or creep you out - some of them are a lot of fun to catch and pretty tasty eating.

Traffic can be awful, especially in and around the big cities, since the infrastructure severely lags the population growth - but I don't think many folks from California will complain about traffic here!

And when it comes to proximity to the Bahamas and Caribbean, well, it doesn't get ANY better!

There have been a lot of folks that couldn't or didn't adjust to life here - but I bet most of them aren't the ones that had a lifestyle that took advantage of all that Florida has to offer.

I hear many people complain that there is no "culture" in Florida, especially those from New York and Chicago. I guess if that means there are no pricy art shows, theater, martini bars, etc... they are right. I live in a little beach town on the south west coast. If you are not into fishing, diving, boats, being very laid back, sunsets, nature, etc... then I expect you would say there is no culture here. My world revolves around the Gulf of Mexico, travel to other dive destinations, fishing, and I work a little too. I love that kind of culture. If you are looking for a progressive world like SF or being on the cutting edge like Newport or Manhattan Beach, CA then Florida is probably not for you.

I hope that made sense???

LuvDaOcean:
Now that is very interesting and says a lot about how well the adaptation process might be for west coast ocean lovin' folks wanting to become southeast coast ocean lovin' folks. Especially so because you've got 22 years of experience under your belt.

On the other hand, aren't most people in FL transplants from other states?

Where are you all originally from? How long have you been in FL? And how long did it take you to adapt to the change both climatically and culturally? Do any of you have plans to move elsewhere someday?

I move to Miami 3 years ago after spending 12 years in Portland, OR. There is no going back for me. In fact, it just cost me my job as I was asked to move back to Portland but had to refuse. S. Florida does grow on you after a while. Yes, the climat and the culture requires some serious adjustment but so does everything else. Good luck

LuvDaOcean:
Then doesn't it sort of become a vicious circle in a way? People moving out 'cuz new people are moving in...even in TN?

It's kind of funny. Alot of people who once moved to Florida (say late '70s to mid '80s) are moving to the Carolina's, North Georgia and Tennessee. I have owned property in TN for about 10 years and visit regularly. For some reason I fit in.

The ironic thing is that the locals call those who move there from Florida Floridiots. I have to tell them that those folks are from other places, just recently from Florida.

I will most likely never move away. My wife won't let me.

Joe

I agree with you completely Augie. In 1999 I was offered a job where I could move to Atlanta, GA or Costa Mesa, CA. The cost of home ownership completely put me out of the California job. I ended up getting an apartment in Atlanta.

The cost of housing here in Florida does not compare to the cost of housing in CA. If you want to be right on the coast, look in St Lucie, Indian River and Brevard Counties. Still a drive to the great diving, but priced much much better.

Joe
augie:
While the cost of Florida real estate is skyrocketing, without doing any research I find it hard to believe that it's in the same league as California.

As far as the rest of the adjustment issues, it depends a lot on your outlook on life in general (are you someone that looks for the positive or the negative?).

Sure, we have long, hot, sticky summers. But we can dive in t-shirts for five months out of the year if we so wish.

Bugs? You betcha - but not all of them buzz, crawl, fly or creep you out - some of them are a lot of fun to catch and pretty tasty eating.

Traffic can be awful, especially in and around the big cities, since the infrastructure severely lags the population growth - but I don't think many folks from California will complain about traffic here!

And when it comes to proximity to the Bahamas and Caribbean, well, it doesn't get ANY better!

There have been a lot of folks that couldn't or didn't adjust to life here - but I bet most of them aren't the ones that had a lifestyle that took advantage of all that Florida has to offer.

There's a whole other part of Florida- Northwest! Sugar white sand, affordable housing and the most beautiful beaches in the world (and not nearly the crowds you get in S FL). Im a native, and you couldn't pay me to move.

I was born and raised here as was my father. My grandma came to St Pete with my great grandma at 4 years old or so around 1920 and they stayed here. She still lives in a little cracker box in Seminole. I get so frustrated with people moving here I have to try and not think about it at times. What frustrates me is that it is uncontrolled and dominated by greed, money and people that dont realize what they are ruining and realistically, there is nothing you can do about it.
Everyone thinks FL is just a place to enjoy a green yard and warm weather - which it is, but it is so much more than that. In some ways, I am glad most people wouldnt know what it is like to go into a cyprus swamp and see it filled with blooming bromiliads and catch a swallow tail kite fly over, for example. If everyone liked that - there truely would be no where to get away. The only solice I have is getting out in the woods and imagining what all the ruined areas of the state must have been like years and years ago. My wife's people were some of the original plantation settlers in Micanopy that we traced back to the mid 1800's. I would recommend a good book called River of Grass written by Marjorie Stoneman Douglas if you want to learn some about FL. I personally love it hot as hell - 95 with 100% humidity and would take that year around.

chickdiver:
There's a whole other part of Florida- Northwest! Sugar white sand, affordable housing and the most beautiful beaches in the world (and not nearly the crowds you get in S FL). Im a native, and you couldn't pay me to move.

Ssshhhhhhhhh! The northwest is the best, but we don't want to tell everyone.....I plan to move there someday!

Luvdaocean,
To answer your question like I see it....

Sun rising through the cypress trees filtered by a morning fog. Miday sun and cool, deep shadows coming together under a 100 year old live oak. The smell of orange blossoms in the air. Blues and oranges of every shade mixin together in the evening sunset. John Denver had it wright. Almost heaven, West Virginia. If theres a heaven on Earth, it's gotta be here.
Chris

Ya know, its great people want to live here. But once you get here and complain about the heat or humidity, please leave. I want a parking space back at the beach.

Scuba_Jenny:
Ya know, its great people want to live here. But once you get here and complain about the heat or humidity, please leave. I want a parking space back at the beach.
I do understand how you feel. Like I wrote earlier, I'm a native Californian. I've been here my whole life and, honestly, I can count on one hand how many other native Californians I've met over the course of my lifetime. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we top FL as the number 1 "transplant state" in the country.

Heck, I'll take any parking spot I can get no matter where I go around here, much less the beach.

more later...li'l girl is skip roping and I'd like to see her live another day... heh

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom