What's it like to live in FL?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that is another one of the marvels of this state - they build a new school and by the time it is built, they have to have portables (aka trailers) supplement the kids as the school is already over crowded. The roads are wonderful too -they approve thousands of new homes and condos and dont worry, they'll set a plan in place so they can approve the permits to build and they'll get the road done 10 years from now. Sorry to be so synical, but it is true.

Having complained about all that, I still cant imagine living elsewhere.

Florida. It depends on where you are moving from. If you are moving from small town america and have always spent your holidays roasting chestnuts, sled riding and spending time at the nieghbors house wellll......

Florida is overun with New Yorkers. We have adopted the way they live in large cities. My neighbors name is don something and I give him the polite head tilt almost everyday for the last two years.

I have not seen a dreaded Plametto Roach in over a year now. I DO NOT leave any food out and spray every month.

There are fire ants, small lizards, too many insects to list.. GIANT swarming clouds of Mosquitoes, various poisioness snakes and unpoisioness both native and exotic.

The heat is adaptable. IF you are a A/C Queen then you will never be happy here. You have to get out there and enjoy the outdoors! Get fit.. drink water.. do sports and SWEAT! I run in the summer time and the clothing appears to come out of the pool.. i even have to dry the inside of my running shoes.. but it feels good to get out there instead of sitting on the couch eating potato chips and ice cream complaining about how hot it is.

Florida is pretty full though and if you are not sure if you can hack it ... I would suggest staying where you are..

Orlando Eric:
Florida is pretty full though and if you are not sure if you can hack it ... I would suggest staying where you are..

:laughing: now, now... Play nice... hehehehe!!

I wiould agree with ScubaJenny and Orlando Eric....if you hate the heat, PLEASE just don't live here.
It's hot. It's humid. It's a peninsula, the southernmost point in the US, surrounded by oceans; if you didn't figure out before you got here that it would be hot, I haven't got much sympathy for complaints. South Florida is all cement and houses....the palm trees ARE imported.
I still love it. Many don't. That's fine with me; if you don't love it, please go back and leave room for those of us who do. :D :D
I was at my pool the other day and spent two hours listening to an entire gaggle of New Yorkers (who are going back north for the summer next week) kvetch and complain about ALL the construction, the mess, and how ugly the new developments are....????????????????????????????? Baffles the mind. Who do they think is causing it?

I'll add to your query, specifically pinpointing where I live:
In Palm Beach County, property values have increased 130% over the last 3 years. Harsh. A basic condo on the water, maybe a 2/2, will go for no less than $200K, more like $300-$400 if you want it "a little" nice (ie, your own laundry room. Plumbing and appliances less than 20 yrs old). Houses, on the intracoastal, will go for at least $500K or so, for little "old Florida" crackerboxes. Go inland west of I-95, a basic (but newer) single family home with a zero-lot line will be @$300-$400k. That's today. Scripps Research is moving in soon, and with the number of Californians due to move in, we expect values to continue skyrocketing.
For some interesting articles, the www.palmbeachpost.com has a special section on housing in the county lately. You might find it to be good reading.

Best of luck!

Thanks so much to all of you who took time out to share your thoughts with me both positive and negative. FL Chad, what a gorgeous picture you painted in one of your posts. I'm happy that you have such precious memories of your childhood in FL. I, too, have some glorious memories of growing up in Santa Barbara back when everyone knew everyone else and traffic was scarce and crowds even scarcer. Of climbing like a monkey on the pilings under the pier back when it really was a fishing pier and not a tourist attraction. Of walking to the near-empty beaches and spending the day running in the sun and surfing and throwing frisbees for our dogs who were not required to be on leashes. Of not being afraid to walk the streets at night or venturing into the "lesser desirable" areas of town. Of going to the movie theatre to see the latest and greatest movie and only half the house was full. I could go on and on, but you get the picture....

Anyway, overall, it sounds as if us Californians and you Floridians have a whole lot in common. Overpopulation and, as a result, the obliteration of what we all once knew and loved about our respective states due to the infiltration of the rich, the immigrants, the plastic sun-worshipers - what have you - moving in and (in our case) forcing us out.

Re: housing prices in CA compared to those in FL, based on ~somewhat~ in-depth research, I think you all have it a bit better than we do. For instance, you can pick just about any town/city near the ocean in S.CA. and expect to pay at least $2.5 million for an older 2 or 3bdrm, 2bth, 1100 sq ft house with no land to speak of. It's not much different up here in the SF Bay Area, but still a bit cheaper. As an example, our house is in a community housing development. You know the type where you come home and accidently pull into someone else's driveway by mistake thinking it's your house because they all look the same? None of the houses here have land - we're all scrunched up against each other and we can practically hear each other breathe when we're in our very small backyards. It's horribly clausterphobic. Still, there aren't many houses left in our neighborhood that sell for less than $1 million. Absolute insanity. Go down a bit closer to Silicon Valley and the same house that we live in would go for at least a couple million, if not more. I repeat, absolute insanity.

But like FL Chad wrote:

FL_Chad:
I get so frustrated with people moving here I have to try and not think about it at times. What frustrates me is that it is uncontrolled and dominated by greed, money and people that dont realize what they are ruining and realistically, there is nothing you can do about it.

This is what we're facing here, too. Absolutely NOT to insult anyone here, but in my experience, Californian's (whether native or not) don't seem have such a grudge or 'shoulder chip' about the situation as Floridians. Our attitudes are basically like FL Chad's - "...nothing you can do about it," so why waste our time and energy on resentment and anger and trying to keep people out?

I don't know where we'll end up moving, but unfortunately it's just not possible for us to stay here. I was just hoping to be able to raise my little girl a bit like I was raised, so that she, too, could grow up with sand between her toes and the smell of salt in her hair as she drifted off to sleep at night. Shoot, I want to die with sand between my toes and the smell of salt in my hair! FL seemed the perfect solution, but now I'm left feeling like a deflated balloon.

Ah, well.... things could always be worse, right?

We travel to Fla frequently (OK, very frequently!) and one of our favorite past times is laughing at all the nooyawkahs who constantly ****** about the heat and humidity. :wink:

FWIW, California has mostly had net population losses for the last decade or more, if you are counting legal residents anyway.

Don't be too discouraged. There are places in Florida. Just not the SE Coast. You could hit the North / NorthWest Gulf Coast and still find great deals. Not many jobs but a beautiful place to live.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Joe

There's also the South West coast. My favorite part of Florida (for at least a little while longer :)). Not as crowded as the east coast, but property values are going up. The diving is not as good here, but I'm only 2 1/2 hours from Ft. Lauderdale and 4 hours from Key Largo.

I couldn't live on the East coast of Florida. No offence to the conchs that live there, but I'd go nuts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom