What's it like to live in FL?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Other hobbies you could take up include: tennis, biking, soccer, hiking, skydiving, gardening, orchid growing, etc. etc. Just about anything that doesn't involve mountains or snow. The humidity might take some getting used to...but one hardly suffocates outside, even inland. However, AC is your best friend here for most of the year.

I live on the west coast, north of Tampa. Last night the temp. was 51, and today the high will be around 75. Not bad for late April. By the weekend, however, humidity will be rising and it will be 86 degrees during the day. Time to head to one of our spring fed rivers for a kayak and swim!

Scuba_Jenny:
The most recent statistics we have is for 2004. The average market value for a single family residence (non-condominium) was $219,368.

Based on the rest of your post, I assume this is a state-wide average and that housing prices near the water are comparable to those in our State near the water.

There are paradises elsewhere waiting to be found (the tropics)... earning a living may not be part of the package!

Dr. Bill

Miami is great if you want to learn Spanish by complete immersion. Actually, a lot of my friends kids have become fully bilingual by attending Miami-Dade public schools, and depending on your neighborhood, the quality of schools will vary. Miami, though, has horrendous traffic during rush hour and school hours. And nobody knows how to drive.
And for all of South Florida - your hair will never be the same again.

Ft Lauderdale seems to have a lot of stores where you can buy English foods, which is a plus when you have a craving for Bombay mix. And Ft Lauderdale also has fabulous beach diving and a lot of very friendly Conch divers from Scubaboard who give guided tours of the reefs, then liquor you up afterwards.

drbill:
Based on the rest of your post, I assume this is a state-wide average and that housing prices near the water are comparable to those in our State near the water.

There are paradises elsewhere waiting to be found (the tropics)... earning a living may not be part of the package!

Dr. Bill
Actually, that was a quote from the Broward County Property Appraizers Office Website.

drbill:
MY opinion based on living there for two years 50 years ago and visits to my grandparents and parents over the past 40 years... if you like humid weather, really nasty bugs, very scary thunderstorms, large crowds due to snowbirds in the winter... you'll love it!
Dr. Bill

Those are very true sayings. I've been here since 1983 and have see Californians come and go. They don't last 2 years. They can't stand the humidity etc etc. Every one that I've met that came here from Ca went back!

Melbourne, Fla

FlIrishman:
Those are very true sayings. I've been here since 1983 and have see Californians come and go. They don't last 2 years. They can't stand the humidity etc etc. Every one that I've met that came here from Ca went back!

Now that is very interesting and says a lot about how well the adaptation process might be for west coast ocean lovin' folks wanting to become southeast coast ocean lovin' folks. Especially so because you've got 22 years of experience under your belt.

On the other hand, aren't most people in FL transplants from other states?

Where are you all originally from? How long have you been in FL? And how long did it take you to adapt to the change both climatically and culturally? Do any of you have plans to move elsewhere someday?

drbill:

Dr. Bill

The tropics...if only earning a living wasn't part of the picture! {drool}

If it's true that the cost of housing on the FL coast is the same as it is here in CA then we've really been barking up the wrong tree. I'm so glad that I started this thread because it sure is opening my eyes thanks to all of you. We only have a couple more years before we'll be forced out of the Bay Area due to the rising cost of living, so time is whittling away for us. I've lived on the coast my entire life and can't imagine NOT living near the ocean (usable ocean, that is), so it's breaking my heart to think that someday soon we may be forced inland. I can't imagine a life where I'll never be able to take a deep breath and smell the ocean breeze again.

LuvDaOcean:
On the other hand, aren't most people in FL transplants from other states?

Where are you all originally from? How long have you been in FL? And how long did it take you to adapt to the change both climatically and culturally? Do any of you have plans to move elsewhere someday?

Yes, most folks are transplants from other parts of the country. Most notably the NorthEast and the upper MidWest.

I am a native Floridian. I have spent a total of 4 years living outside of Florida, living in Germany for two years and Tennessee for two years. I will eventually move back to TN. due to the increase in transplants from the other parts of the country!

Joe

JustJoe:
Yes, most folks are transplants from other parts of the country. Most notably the NorthEast and the upper MidWest.

I am a native Floridian. I have spent a total of 4 years living outside of Florida, living in Germany for two years and Tennessee for two years. I will eventually move back to TN. due to the increase in transplants from the other parts of the country!

Joe
Then doesn't it sort of become a vicious circle in a way? People moving out 'cuz new people are moving in...even in TN?

While the cost of Florida real estate is skyrocketing, without doing any research I find it hard to believe that it's in the same league as California.

As far as the rest of the adjustment issues, it depends a lot on your outlook on life in general (are you someone that looks for the positive or the negative?).

Sure, we have long, hot, sticky summers. But we can dive in t-shirts for five months out of the year if we so wish.

Bugs? You betcha - but not all of them buzz, crawl, fly or creep you out - some of them are a lot of fun to catch and pretty tasty eating.

Traffic can be awful, especially in and around the big cities, since the infrastructure severely lags the population growth - but I don't think many folks from California will complain about traffic here!

And when it comes to proximity to the Bahamas and Caribbean, well, it doesn't get ANY better!

There have been a lot of folks that couldn't or didn't adjust to life here - but I bet most of them aren't the ones that had a lifestyle that took advantage of all that Florida has to offer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom