What's it like to live in FL?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have proof construction wont catch up now.. the folks in the adjoining neighborhood have started Cinco de Mayo already.. actually, yesterday after the rains.

ReefGuy:
That area is nice. I live just a bit further south than Englewood. I don't think that Charlotte is a lot less expensive than Sarasota, if at all, anymore. Housing down here is at a premium right now, although in a year or two it might fall back in line with the rest of the state.

My budget is about 500K, what will that get me in Charlotte County? I did not have time to look at anything further south, what are things like in your area?

Last year, 500k would get you 3 houses in Punta Gorda - this year... 1 and maybe enough room for a shed. :)

CBulla:
Last year, 500k would get you 3 houses in Punta Gorda - this year... 1 and maybe enough room for a shed. :)

How about deep water ? What would canal or other water body that leads to Gulf run?

adurso:
How about deep water ? What would canal or other water body that leads to Gulf run?

I can't speak for Punta Gorda, but here in Cape Coral (just South of PG) you can get an older home 1500sf 3/2 with direct access (no brigdes) for slightly over $400k. I just moved out of a rental home with these same specs that sold for that price.

I would assume that you could get something for 500k.

Joe

Home prices, traffic, cement, New Yorkers, proximity to ocean, what about insurance? SE coast, I am paying approx. $1/sq.ft per year, then add another couple hundred for flood insurance, and I live 8 miles inland! Those along the coast will pay thousands for flood/hurricane/whatever. Oh, and good luck even getting insurance. Most companies are not writing new policies. Those up north or west in last years hurricane central, wait till your insurance is due, and make sure you are sitting down when you open the envelope. The state has set up a "catch all" type insurance for the uninsurable (those that have been dropped, or can't get a policy), that amounts to paying a lot of $$, for not much insurance, a high deductable and 2% hurricane damage deductable!

You might be able to find something on the water for that. Right now, I'm looking at a 4/3/2, no pool, no water access, and they're running from $300 up.

adurso:

It used to be a wonderful place to live and work. now its just like anyother place in america full of a bunch of candy :censored:and liberals who could'nt change things where they used to live so they decided to come down here and influence others to do the same. Our beautiful beaches used to host wildlife and marvelous views today we have to look at condos and what I like to call snobdevisions. They seem to be the future for Florida and as my grandfather had predicted. I think its great that people want to come and enjoy Florida on vacation however I think they should go home afterwards.
As for the diving its not as good as it used to be but its still great and once in awhile you get to laugh at some of the people who visit here. be sure to tell all your friends that if they come to leave everything as they found it and by all means feel free to take some people home with you........

Thank you everyone for the information. I assume the the frequent mention of New Yorkers in Florida is a frightening thing? And I see the welcome mat is out....

"I think its great that people want to come and enjoy Florida on vacation however I think they should go home afterwards."

DennisS:
An Andrew that would come in at Miami and head North along the coast would devastate S FL. It would rearrange the barrier islands probably moving inlets. If it moved the barrier islands back a couple hunred yards, taking from the beach and adding to the back as it overwashed, those high rise condos would look pretty silly sitting in about 10 feet of water.

While in the Air Force, I did some Disaster Preparedness work. The head of the Florida Emergency Planning board briefed us that if a CAT 5 were to hit Miami Beach, the very first thing military transports would be bringing in would be body bags - thousands of them. Considering the age of the average resident of Miami Beach and the relative isolation (just a few bridges), this is a very realistic projection.

In the scenario you describe above, I'm sure that property values would dip in the short term, but the loss of life, from Miami through Ft. Lauderdale would rival that of the Tsunamis (spelling?) that beat up South Asia.

Contributing factors would be the age of the residents, the lack of adequate evacuation routes, the routes running South to North, lack of education on the part of the residents, language barriers and the flat topography would all be contributing factors in the death toll.

We were seriously lucky last year that the four storms that hit the state weren't as strong as Andrew. But if an Andrew-like storm takes the track you outlined, it would be a national catastrophe.

I'm not beating you up, not in the least. Just the voice of experience.

Lee

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom