What's going on with the weather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

digdug87

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Any meteorology folks have a reason for all norte days in the last 3 or 4 months? It seems like there have been more than average/normal.

What about his sister Nina, are they related to El Chapo?

There are a bunch of other patterns/oscillations that drive the weather , but FWIW El Niño does tend to mean colder/wetter weather for Texas so likely that would translate to more Nortes in Cozumel.

[Here’s what Texas can expect from a ‘historically strong’ El Niño winter]

Not that I am rooting for more Nortes , but when we haven’t had a Norte it has been quite warm here. I am kind of hoping for a longer winter period so maybe the water can cool down further before heading into the summer

If it's any consolation this week's weather does not look as bad as early next week. :oops:

What's interesting is that (usually) after a strong el nino, there's a rebound strong la nina that occurs right after the el nino is gone. The current el nino has been classified as strong and is weakening. If the pattern holds, this would mean a strong la nina in place right in time for hurricane season 2024. This is important as the el nino pattern significantly weakens wind shear in the Caribbean which is responsible for weakening or outright preventing hurricanes from forming.

Observing WindGuru my prediction would be no diving until Thursday this week and then out of the pool for Sunday-Thursday next week too. It's been crazy this year.

I'll be there in about 2 weeks. I hope it gets it out of its system before I arrive.

I'm in the same boat (or I guess not in the boat, if there's Nortes :crying:).

For those familiar with such things, do the Nortes affect the southern resorts the same as dive shops in/near Cozumel town? I'll be down at Iberostar, which is pretty close to the point where the island starts to curve around to the southeast, which at least in theory could provide some protection.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom