Lots of Police, Federales and Military

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sefuchs

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Seems to be a ton more Police, Feds and Military around Coz. The last couple days they had road blocks/stops south of La Caleta. One day they were stopping every car, including rentals, the next just Taxis and one day seemed kind of random. Several times I've seen 2-3 Police cars along with 2-3 Federales driving around together. Also lots of Police and Feds just parked and some walking all around town. Is this because of Carnival activities or are they really doing some enforcement? Hopefully the focus is on crime and not petty stuff like improper paperwork.

I thought the "Federales" as we used to call them were disbanded a few years ago, and it's now the military (Ejército) doing that job?

I thought the "Federales" as we used to call them were disbanded a few years ago, and it's now the military (Ejército) doing that job?

IDK - You might be correct on what they are called. Three distinct types of enforcement; Police, ‘Federal’ and military

It’s probably paperwork and drunken driving. It always seems like roadblocks step up around Carnival time. Maybe the police need money for beer…

I saw several National Guard around the airport yesterday. I don't if that normal or not. Customs didn't seem very strict.

Seems to be a ton more Police, Feds and Military around Coz. The last couple days they had road blocks/stops south of La Caleta. One day they were stopping every car, including rentals, the next just Taxis and one day seemed kind of random. Several times I've seen 2-3 Police cars along with 2-3 Federales driving around together. Also lots of Police and Feds just parked and some walking all around town. Is this because of Carnival activities or are they really doing some enforcement? Hopefully the focus is on crime and not petty stuff like improper
don't worry too much about them or why they are there. i stay on the island for 6 months and for more than 2 years on the mainland. they are not going after tourist. More checking drug related stuff and people of interest. among other things.

Near by the airport in coz there is a military base you will see them around the island from time to time.

don't worry too much about them or why they are there. i stay on the island for 6 months and for more than 2 years on the mainland. they are not going after tourist. More checking drug related stuff and people of interest. among other things.
On the contrary, I am glad to see them out and about. Most of the big cities in the USA should do the same thing.

There was a heightened presence in the Cancun hotel zone, I believe it was 2010-2012. Didn’t seem to impede much. I figured they were tamping down on drugs and such. Never had an issue and, talking to my neighbor, they didn’t either. I’d rather see them than heightened criminal activity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom