What's going on with SUUNTO?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

English is not everyone's first language.

If your Core will "lock out" at the surface because you ignore an optional "deep stop", then something is very wrong with the algorithm. My D4 and D6 both have the deep stop option, as well as a three minute safety stop countdown, and neither computer has ever locked me out for ignoring either type of stop.

Do you know it will lock out for missing the deep stop from direct personal experience, i.e. has it actually done it to you? Or is this how you are interpreting the information from the owner's manual?

Sounds like you're confusing "deep stop", "safety stop" and "deco stop". These are very different things. The first is optional, but not universal (i.e. there is debate about its benefit.) The second is optional, but generally recommended as an industry standard. The third is mandatory. Unfortunately the language we use to describe these three things can add to the confusion.
Sounds like you didn’t read my post.

Sounds like you didn’t read my post.
Glenn - one of your posts seem to describe a dive where you equate having deep stops turned on with your computer requiring you to do 3 deco stops. I think that is causing all of this back and forth confusion, and has still not been cleared up.
I’m very familiar with how the eon core works. I never said the stops were mandatory. I did however have on my last dive deep stops turned on, as such when after diving down to depth and then start the ascent my core wanted me to stop as previously stated. Had I not met the obligation it would have locked out after reaching the surface. Again there is a count down timer and it lets you know to get back down and do your deco stop within 3 minutes. There were 3 stops from a depth of 106 feet.

Suunto was supposed to have had a firmware upgrade for the steel this year, now it’s 2020.

There were 3 stops from a depth of 106 feet.

That’s a pretty shallow dive. A deep stop at what.....53 FSW? Three deco stops? What was your overall BT?

It doesn’t make any sense to me that a computer would lock out if you skipped a deep stop. I think that endangers the diver who would still be trying to manage obligations above the deep stop.

Maybe I’m wrong but I think deep stops are optional and additive (although this is debatable) mitigation measures.

Decompression stops are essential and mandatory.

I am home now from Argentina. I have not turned my Eon core on since the last dive. What do you want me to do as far as posting the details?

If it was a deep stop and not a deco stop then I will be educated and call it a day.

The intent of my post which many in this thread said previously in other posts on scuba board, was simply that the Sunnto would lock you out if you missed a deco stop after reaching the surface.

All I have tried to say since day one, PERIOD.

I have also stated that I have never had a lock out as the computer be it deep or deco stop gives the diver plenty of time to get back to depth to meet your deep or deco stop.

All I was trying to get across was that the computer will lock you out if you miss a deco stop.

The Perdix does not.

Many of you jumped on the bashing of the Suunto Eon Core due to this.

Listening to a lot of you was the reason I opted to get the Perdix ai. I’m glad I did.

So let me know what you want to see from my core on the dive in question and I will do the best I can to answer any questions. I know the deep stop function was on, also during the ascent I received 3 alarms and after reading your comments they were probably deep stop commitments. If so ok.

Let me know

Glenn

BC9CEACC-41F2-4825-BCC9-A085EF389E5E.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom