What's going on with SUUNTO?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They no longer allow your LDS to change the battery. My D6i needed a new batter so it had to go back to Suunto. It took 6 weeks for them to replace my battery. I'm glad I have multiple computers so it didn't affect my diving but 6 weeks to replace a battery? Seriously?

Hey Suunto, can you let the dive shops replace them again?
Old thread, but anyway.

Huh? It's less than a year since my LDS replaced the battery in my Stinger. It may be more than a year since I bought a battery+o-ring kit for my Cobra (I really can't tell), but that battery i replaced myself.

Is this a US vs Europe thing?

We’re you actually in Deco OR were you following deep stops

Massively different things

If you think missing a deep stop will cause a lock out, I respectfully suggest you re-read the manual

Ok yes if you omit a deco stop for longer than three minutes, why can’t you understand this. It’s what I’ve been saying since the last time you kept referring me to re read the manual. It plainly states on page 11 of the manual and I quote. Suunto fused RGBM ALGORITHIM is locked for 48 hours if you omit decompression stops for more than 3 minutes.

Why do you keep questioning my responses? As I have said numerous times, it gives you plenty of warning to get back to your stop. If you don’t and bust it. The computer locks you out for 48 hours.

Glenn

Ok yes if you omit a deco stop for longer than three minutes, why can’t you understand this. It’s what I’ve been saying since the last time you kept referring me to re read the manual. It plainly states on page 11 of the manual and I quote. Suunto fused RGBM ALGORITHIM is locked for 48 hours if you omit decompression stops for more than 3 minutes.

Why do you keep questioning my responses? As I have said numerous times, it gives you plenty of warning to get back to your stop. If you don’t and bust it. The computer locks you out for 48 hours.

Glenn
I do understand it perfectly. I dive deco plans regularly and have never had a violation nor lockout, in 800 + dives

You’ve just been blithering on about deep stops which are totally different

To lock out, or get close to locking out, you’re either in serious trouble needing to blow your stops, or you’re a fool that shouldn’t be diving deco profiles

Is this a US vs Europe thing?

I’m led to believe that Suunto tightened up on who could be a service centre.

For sure an inconvenience for some, but some LDS didn’t have even the most basic tools (like a pot to pressure check the computer) and weren’t following Suuntos service instructions

I do wonder if Huish in US also plays a part, I get excellent Suunto service in EMEA zone

I’ve never heard anyone enthusiastic about their Suunto DC..

Love my Eon Core. Have had over 220 dives on it and many too fast ascents and skipped safety stops. Think a DM following a newbie in a drysuit to stop their too rapid ascent. Never a lockup.

I thought about a Shearwater but went with the Eon Core for several reasons including (in my opinion)

Easier UI
Better Display
More Customizable

My Zoop was a perfectly adequate computer as well

I’m very familiar with how the eon core works. I never said the stops were mandatory. I did however have on my last dive deep stops turned on, as such when after diving down to depth and then start the ascent my core wanted me to stop as previously stated. Had I not met the obligation it would have locked out after reaching the surface. .

If your Core will "lock out" at the surface because you ignore an optional "deep stop", then something is very wrong with the algorithm. My D4 and D6 both have the deep stop option, as well as a three minute safety stop countdown, and neither computer has ever locked me out for ignoring either type of stop.

Do you know it will lock out for missing the deep stop from direct personal experience, i.e. has it actually done it to you? Or is this how you are interpreting the information from the owner's manual?

Again there is a count down timer and it lets you know to get back down and do your deco stop within 3 minutes. There were 3 stops from a depth of 106 feet.

Sounds like you're confusing "deep stop", "safety stop" and "deco stop". These are very different things. The first is optional, but not universal (i.e. there is debate about its benefit.) The second is optional, but generally recommended as an industry standard. The third is mandatory. Unfortunately the language we use to describe these three things can add to the confusion.

"Deco stop" is very very different than "deep stop". This is why DD keeps suggesting you read the manual. If the manual does not clarify the difference between these two things, seek another source.

I provide a summary in the post immediately above this one, but I'm sure DD would be glad to explain in greater detail, if you care to listen. The essence of the difference is that as a recreational diver you should never be in a situation that requires a "deco stop."

Do you know it will lock out for missing the deep stop from direct personal experience, i.e. has it actually done it to you? Or is this how you are interpreting the information from the owner's manual?

Good posts!

There is also another clue. Suunto would never have a feature, that if enabled would lock you out if ignored, yet allow you to turn off without penalty

Although if someone brought out a computer that with the press of a button would immediately remove all the residue N2 from my body, well heck I'd buy one now! :wink:

if someone brought out a computer that with the press of a button would immediately remove all the residue N2 from my body, well heck I'd buy one now! :wink:
You DO know there's a difference between the real (physical) world and computer models?

Please? Pretty please?

Although if someone brought out a computer that with the press of a button would immediately remove all the residue N2 from my body, well heck I'd buy one now! :wink:

Be careful with what you wish for. Consider what might happen to your body if those pesky nitrogen molecules were to vanish all at once leaving hard vacuum in their place.

Back
Top Bottom