What's going on with SUUNTO?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spend some time on the Suunto FB page, especially the [Posts] section. I know it's a marketing app, but it's indicative of what Suunto has become, huge marketing, to hell with customer service. They haven't fixed DM5 and all the problems it has yet, and that has been YEARS. They simply threw in the towel on SB.
They just move on......next cool product.

I will admit to buying into the Suunto marketing as a new diver. But to be fair, the D4 I bought when I started diving has been absolutely bulletproof. I take care of it, and it has never given me (knock on wood), the slightest hint of a problem... after 500 hours underwater in the past 10 years.

However... I can think of a few possible reasons for the lack of customer service from Suunto (and this is pure speculation):

1. Dive instruments are just a slice of Suunto's business, and probably the slice that is most technically challenging... i.e. of all the environments for which Suunto designs instruments, underwater is probably the most difficult and most prone to problems. Which means its dive computers probably generate a grossly disproportionate part of its customer complaints. And maybe they just don't feel like allocating a disproportionate amount of resources to handling those complaints.

2. Suunto being a Finnish company, and most complaints about their dive computers coming from the US... there could be a cultural divide. The Finn's might tend to see us as a bunch of whiners that can't fix our own problems. Maybe they just don't see customer service the same way that we expect customer service.

3. Related to Point 2... Suunto hands off distribution in the US to an American company. This naturally creates a "gray area" of which company is responsible for handling what, especially when it comes to customer service. If either company doesn't feel like dealing with the problem, it's easy enough for them to claim the complaint should be handled by the other. And the customer is left in customer service purgatory.

Again, purely speculation. I've been blessed with problem-free Suuntos, and based on what I've read I am very very thankful for that.

Hi All, I have a D4i Novo and the alarm tone is not audible underwater, it that normal for this model or do I need to bring the watch for service. Did any of you encounter this issue? Please advise. Thanks.

I've had a number of products by them about ten years ago...non-scuba. They were always a pain to work with when you had issues, clunky interfaces and menu navigation.

Hi All, I have a D4i Novo and the alarm tone is not audible underwater, it that normal for this model or do I need to bring the watch for service. Did any of you encounter this issue? Please advise. Thanks.

Is it just you? I thought I had the same problem then I went to see an audiologist and it turns out that the computer is just fine.

I've always considered it a blessing to not hear anything from my Suuntos... or anyone else's dive computers. I've been using my D4 for over 10 years and I wasn't even aware that it can do audibles.

What is it that you want your computer to beep at you about? If it's anything important, surely you can monitor it yourself without the noise... right?

Silent diving = good diving

Is it just you? I thought I had the same problem then I went to see an audiologist and it turns out that the computer is just fine.

Oh great. I already called in the firemen once for beeping coming from someplace in the ceiling that I could not quite pinpoint; when they came in they immediately said it was coming from "that monitor over there". Now when my Leo doesn't beep I'll be thinking hearing check. Looking forward to it.

I've never understood why a manufacturer would design a critical product that requires a trip back to some distant service centre, and then take weeks to return it. Nor do I understand why someone would purchase such a piece of gear. Suunto isn't the first, and I'm sure they won't be the last.

I like my D4i. But it is frustrating to pay someone $40-$50 to change a battery. Initially I was concerned about maintaining the warranty, but I no longer think it is worth the extra cost. Might have my lds do it every other or every 3rd time just so the other internals get checked periodically (they are a Suunto service center).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom