What's going on with SUUNTO?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BikerBecca

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
They no longer allow your LDS to change the battery. My D6i needed a new batter so it had to go back to Suunto. It took 6 weeks for them to replace my battery. I'm glad I have multiple computers so it didn't affect my diving but 6 weeks to replace a battery? Seriously?

Hey Suunto, can you let the dive shops replace them again?

D6i changes have always been limited to specifically trained and equipped service facilities, not just every dealer. In the US, the D6i can be serviced by a "Level One" facility. Training and equipping is limited to those selected/approved by the Huish rep, and is a bit on the pricey side. So it is not a simple matter for all LDS to be able to do it.

I will also note that aside from changing the battery, that service center is also trained and equipped for the bi-annual service on the control buttons for the wrist top computers. Bet you didn't know that was a thing, right?

Now, here is the kicker - I used to be able to change the batteries on the transmitters as a dealer. But since the recall last year, those are now limited to the Service Centers for battery changes.

If you had a shop that was changing the D6i battery in the past without the training, that was a non-authorized service. It can be argued all day long whether that is good or bad, but I am almost certain that would mean you were long overdue on getting your buttons serviced, running a risk of non-battery related problems.

D6i changes have always been limited to specifically trained and equipped service facilities, not just every dealer. In the US, the D6i can be serviced by a "Level One" facility. Training and equipping is limited to those selected/approved by the Huish rep, and is a bit on the pricey side. So it is not a simple matter for all LDS to be able to do it.

No, my LDS was a specifically trained and equipped service facility and they were just told Suunto does not allow anyone to change the batteries anymore.

You bring up a really good point about the transmitter now having to go back to them. With the recent D4i lawsuit they probably decided to do the same thing with the computers now too. Still, 6 weeks is nuts!

Thanks!

Hmmm..... not sure that sounds likely. Just two weeks ago I was asking Suunto in the US about what it takes to get set up, and no such restriction was mentioned.
But things can change quickly. It wouldn't hurt if you tried a different location to see if you get the same story. And I am sending in a D4i this week, so I will certainly know more shortly.

Addendum: They were also training more Service Centers in November at DEMA, so I can't begin to imagine the uproar if those plus all previously trained centers had the plug pulled after investing the time and $$.

Suunto website says a shop in Sacramento is authorized to change batteries. Closest search results to San Francisco.

upload_2019-1-12_15-42-22.png

My titanium stinger used to go to a facility in Tampa. Turnaround was 2 days. Now it goes elsewhere. Turnaround is a week.

Don't ask me how I know... I don't need the Suunto authorities investigating me... and risk them publicly shaming me by adding my name to the list of Suunto computer owners who risked the fate of humanity by changing their own battery.

But it is physically possible to change your own D6i battery.

You need the correct little screwdriver (I know of one that costs about $7... it's a nice one too) and a battery kit (readily available for between $5 and $10). The process is something like: unscrew two screws, carefully remove back, carefully remove oring and battery, carefully replace oring and battery, carefully replace back and two screws. Or so I've heard.

Turnaround time (I've heard! All this is hearsay, I admit to nothing!) is 5 to 10 minutes.

They no longer allow your LDS to change the battery. My D6i needed a new batter so it had to go back to Suunto. It took 6 weeks for them to replace my battery. I'm glad I have multiple computers so it didn't affect my diving but 6 weeks to replace a battery? Seriously?

Hey Suunto, can you let the dive shops replace them again?

But seriously, Becca... part of the problem with shops servicing Suunto computers goes back to a few years ago when Suunto distribution was switched from Aqualung to Huish. I know our store dealt with both companies, so the switch was pretty smooth for us... but I would imagine some stores ran into small problems with who was allowed to do what and when, and who (Suunto the company or Huish the new distributor) was responsible for making decisions.

Spend some time on the Suunto FB page, especially the [Posts] section. I know it's a marketing app, but it's indicative of what Suunto has become, huge marketing, to hell with customer service. They haven't fixed DM5 and all the problems it has yet, and that has been YEARS. They simply threw in the towel on SB.
They just move on......next cool product.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom