What's going on with SUUNTO?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When looking at the dive on my laptop at the safety stop one of the caution triangles says mandatory.

Glenn
The trouble is you are assuming the dictionary definition of ‘mandatory’ applies, really they mean ‘do this or there will be consequences’ .

The consequences, as far as the computer is concerned, are minor ones concerning NDL adjustments. Of course there may be physical consequences too so it is generally best to follow the instructions.

In BSAC the standard 35m training involves a simulated deco dive. Given half a chance, but only once qualified to an appropriate depth, I try to have students get the computer into deco in controlled circumstances so they have an idea what to expect to see. It turns out to be quite fiddly to arrange, ideally take two computers, dive Nitrox and set one computer to air.

Going out of you way to understand what might happen is better, in my opinion, than when accidentally overstaying at depth being confused about why the NDL numbers are going up and arriving at stop depth still confused and short on gas for a real deco stop.

Ok guys I think we have beat this horse enough. To sum all of this up from my end.

1. I was not aware deep stops were turned on.
2. The computer alerted me to do a stop at different depths. I complied.
3. I at the time thought they were decompression stops, so I complied.
4. I thought I was being safe.
5 I did not want a lock out (see number 3).
6. Thanks for all of your input.

At the end of the day I am here to learn and be a safe diver. Even though deep stops were turned on and I did the stops, no harm no foul.

I will be using a Shearwater Perdix ai as my primary and an Aqualung i300c as my backup going forward.

Doing a lot of learning and and will keep it in the OC Recreational mode using either air or Nitrox.

Glenn

Ok guys I think we have beat this horse enough.

Oh, but this is SB so someone will be along shortly to take their turn flogging the horse. And who can’t resist a chance for some good bickering, too?

I think you have a good plan now. When you get bored with recreational dives, get some technical training and learn how to enjoy diving beyond those PADI boundaries.

Learning is winning.

When your Perdix or Aqualung tells you to stop, I suggest you stop, lockout or not.
If the numbers turn red, you probably want to go back to stop depth, lockout or not.
If you get a stop at 15m from the Perdix, hmmm, it is unlikely advice here will be much help.

[
Ok guys I think we have beat this horse enough. To sum all of this up from my end.

At the end of the day I am here to learn and be a safe diver. Even though deep stops were turned on and I did the stops, no harm no foul.

I will be using a Shearwater Perdix ai as my primary and an Aqualung i300c as my backup going forward.

Doing a lot of learning and and will keep it in the OC Recreational mode using either air or Nitrox.

Glenn

Hey Glenn, I apologize if you felt like you were put through the wringer on this thread. But it's these kind of situations that lead to "spirited" debate over best practices and maybe how to improve those practices in an effort to keep everyone a little safer underwater. So on behalf of everyone that contributed to the thread... thanks for getting it started. And please share again when the situation arises!

[

Hey Glenn, I apologize if you felt like you were put through the wringer on this thread. But it's these kind of situations that lead to "spirited" debate over best practices and maybe how to improve those practices in an effort to keep everyone a little safer underwater. So on behalf of everyone that contributed to the thread... thanks for getting it started. And please share again when the situation arises!
This isn’t entirely user error, it is largely a foreseeable misunderstanding. The issue comes from the manual’s description of the stops, “mandatory” in particular. Also there is a training point as typical training portrays deco as a life threatening emergency, so divers don’t get taught how their computer actually behaves.

What I would love to see is a site/group like on Facebook where people could lean on each other for training.

For instance updated videos that show type specific video instruction (not just the petrel).

Cool things like compass use (I looked on YouTube) only shows the petrel.
Stuff like how to overlay your dive data on your videos.
Short cuts, tips and a myriad of other things.

I went on Facebook and unless I missed it I don’t see user groups for the shearwater.

The compass is really easy to use but the video currently online and for the most part all video instruction is for the petrel. Although very similar there are nuances.

Anyway just brainstorming, don’t know that there would be any interest in this but in my mind I think it would be pretty cool.

I have learned a ton from the videos shown. I’ve read the manual but you have to read it in sections or you can lose your focus. I’m a visual guy and like to learn from watching/observing.

I also like humor instead of just the facts. Kind of like this.

HOW TO USE THE “mark” feature on your Perdix. Perdix ai

You see your girlfriend better half during your lake dive. You want to surprise her so what do you do? Well the first thing is you need to mark her heading on your dive computer. How do you do that? Well you go from the main screen and push the right button which brings up the compass overlay. Then you hit the left button which brings up a sub screen that says Exit and Mark. You point your Perdix in the direction of your intended target and hit the right button to mark her location.

You get a green marker to swim to and if you drift to far off it turns into an arrow telling you which direction to swim to get back “on heading” if you decide to back off and go back to your original direction you will turn around and see a red mark which is 180 degrees from your original heading. If your mission is successful you will swim to your intended target, rise from below and overturn their raft. Cool stuff right there as you descend back into the lake and go on about your business the girlfriend has to get her raft turned back over and get another beverage as your laughing and being cool, calm and collected. Yeah that’s how a Shearwater compass can be cool.

Anyway you get my point, fun stuff etc.

Glenn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom