What's everyone using for Dive Logs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would copy your dive pages onto regular 8x11 paper. Cut them in halves. Buy a $1 punch at the dollar store, and put into a small 3 ring binders. Don't bring the log book with you diving, just the few blank pages, and a pen or pencil. After a dive, have your buddy sign the pages. Go home, fill it out, and put into the log book. I keep a book for my original dive log, and a copied book that I take on trips with me, just in case someone demanded to see my dive logs. That way, I wouldn't have to worry about losing them.

Should I be having my buddy sign my pages every time? Will people check for this in checking experience? My OW dives are signed off by the instructor, of course.

I use the zippered log book that came in a package with the OW training manual. It's ok but I don't like the setup of the pages. I never have enough room to write everything in the little tiny spaces. I'll do a new layout for the pages when I run out of the ones that came with it.

If I had a hold punch for the odd spacing rings I'd put blank paper in the zipper case I have.

ok, so im guessing no one can provide me with a printable template?

Actually, I can ... send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send you the template I created. It's a simple Word table that you tab through and fill in the cells with your dive information. In format it's similar to what fisherdvm posted. The template holds 20 dives worth of info. I just "Save As", name it according to the dive numbers it will represent, and keep it on my computer. I'm currently on file 1980-2000 ... and it's working out just fine ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

A normal notebook they happen to have in red... I have the occasional stamp and buddy sig for good measure. I also like "reliving" dives via the log so its rather detailed.

DSC007081.JPG

I use a day planner. I created the pages myself in Word, made them 2 sided (saves paper) and then used a punch to create the holes. It's small enough so it doesn't take up too much space. I have ruled continuation sheets if I feel like waxing elegiac about a dive and/or dive site. I keep it in a zip lock bag so it doesn't get wet and and I keep a pen attached to it. I didn't have to pay for the binder as this was a day-planner I had from a long time ago, before PDA's and it was the smaller compact size. It also has a nice place keeper so I can locate the first blank page when entering a dive.

One of the best reasons for keeping a dive log beyond the need to log dives is to keep a record of dive sites, especially ones you've liked and note special formations, fish, interesting wreck features, etc. That's why I put in the continuation sheets, by the way. That's also why you take it on the boat, so you can write down things you might forget such as the dive site name, as an example. For those with near eidetic memory, I guess this isn't a problem.

Also, I would be happy to send you my word file. I will post an image later. I'm at work and the file and the log book are at home.

For many years I have used notebooks with plain (or lined sheets), 100 sheets or
so. These I carry in a small (smallest) Pelicaste, where they are protected from
water, splash, rain, whatever, until I write or read. In the case I have plastic sheets with the tables I need.
The book can be leatherbound if you want the expence. If you buy some cheaper book, buy two or even three at once so you can keep the same size...

Computer printouts..? Give it a few dives more, and it's not that interesting anymore...
Good Luck!
I just exhausted a formal logbook in the middle of a trip, noting the last 6 dives on the inside back cover. That's it for me. I have adopted your approach and bought a small journal notebook of about 100 pages of lined paper and will simply number, date and identify each dive, then add info of interest. Cold or not, water temp, nice/not-so-nice underwater experiences, good/bad restaurants, dive ops, accommodations, etc. To each his own. My notebook is bound in something leatherlike, but synthetic. Also cost less than half the price of a standard logbook and will allow about 4-6 times as many dives to be entered.

I use a day planner. I created the pages myself in Word, made them 2 sided (saves paper) and then used a punch to create the holes. It's small enough so it doesn't take up too much space. I have ruled continuation sheets if I feel like waxing elegiac about a dive and/or dive site. I keep it in a zip lock bag so it doesn't get wet and and I keep a pen attached to it. I didn't have to pay for the binder as this was a day-planner I had from a long time ago, before PDA's and it was the smaller compact size. It also has a nice place keeper so I can locate the first blank page when entering a dive.

One of the best reasons for keeping a dive log beyond the need to log dives is to keep a record of dive sites, especially ones you've liked and note special formations, fish, interesting wreck features, etc. That's why I put in the continuation sheets, by the way. That's also why you take it on the boat, so you can write down things you might forget such as the dive site name, as an example. For those with near eidetic memory, I guess this isn't a problem.

I do pretty much the same thing. During my college dive course we were required to make log pages, so I just keep a clean copy and run off copies when I need more. It has the main info on the front of each page and the back of each page is a spot for a sketch and notes on parking, closest phone, emergency procedures, etc. I did buy a ream of water proof paper because my day planner binder is open on the end and it can get wet. Xerox, HP, and a couple of other companies make water proof paper now in 8 1/2 X 11 sheets. My log is half size so one sheet makes two log pages.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom