Question For purposes of logs and certifications, what counts as a "dive"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I apply the PADI standards for an open water dive for my logbook: “The majority of time at 5 metres/15 feet or greater, and breathe at least 1400 litres or 50 cubic feet of compressed gas or remain submerged for at least 20 minutes.”
Those standards are for PADI training dives, not all diving. They are not a bad guideline, but they aren't really meant for deciding what to put in one's logbook.
The OP's question relates to how to count dives as input to "advanced training." An example might be Self-Reliant/Solo, which require 100 logged open-water dives. If a student came to me wanting to take a solo class, and showed me a logbook with a lot of 20-minute-15-foot dives, I'd tell them "Not yet. Go get some experience with various conditions, depths, currents, temperatures, visibility, equipment, and entries/exits."

I apply the PADI standards for an open water dive for my logbook: “The majority of time at 5 metres/15 feet or greater, and breathe at least 1400 litres or 50 cubic feet of compressed gas or remain submerged for at least 20 minutes.”

Its easier to write down my exception list.

I do not log training dives in a pool usually used for swimming.
I do not log dives which are like shorter than about 10min or we aborted and surfaced multiple time for whatever reason during that time.
I do not log dives which are like shallower than 5m, unless it was a long dive and for a purpose (because of the view, buyoncy training, ...). They additonally should also not be in a perfect scenario, like visibility, no sediment, ...
I do however log dives in a specifically designed diving pool with at least 10m depth and some objects / structures.

Some of the rules are not hard and you may interpret. However the exact number of dives is not so crucial once you exceeded a threshold. So its up to you then...

According to some arbitrary standard, not logging dives under 5m/16ft would remove about 200 dives from my log book. On the other side of the coin, most of those 200 dives are well over 2 hours, some longer. Buoyancy is KEY!!! That is a skill learned at shallow depths fastest!

Really, what you log is up to you and your comfort level in what is a dive and what isn't. I don't log pool dives. I do log training dives in the ocean where there is an entry, exit, doff/don gear, etc. even if I'm only down for 20 minutes at 10ft.

not sure if this helps or not but.....when i was teaching, ssi said anything in at least 15 feet for at least 15 min counted as a dive.
i know people who have counted pool dives.
but for me, unless you are doing advanced training in one of those really deep pools, i think counting pool "dives" is a joke. even then, is there an agency that would consider that a "dive"? i am not sure honestly.

IMHO….. I do and would suggest logging any dive of significance: (1) new location, (2) new or altered equipment configuration(s), (3) recording what was seen & the details of that dive (including computer dive number), (4) any dive event, and (5) recording those people or businesses that were involved, especially if that information would/could be helpful in the future.

Did I miss anything related and relevant?

I keep multiple sets of records that could be called "logbooks"--and I have gradually pared those down.

To me, "what to log" depends on what I see as the goal or utility of keeping those records.

When I was a newer diver, my dives were very similar to each other: a boat somewhere with warm water, 45-60 minutes in the water, a 3mm wetsuit with X lbs. of lead, and somewhere between 60 and 100 or so feet maximum depth. I began to realize that a lot of what I was recording was the same on every dive. I didn't need that information. I realized that often the only thing dive operators of the type that I did my diving with wanted to know was how many dives I had done in total, and my interpretation of that was they wanted to know how many of those kinds of dives have I done. When they ask that question, they probably don't have in mind 20-ft dives in a pool, so I didn't log those--or at least not in this log book, as I'll explain in a moment.

No dive op or instructor has ever asked to see my log itself. There are really just a few bits of data I feel I really need to keep track of. The second-most common question I have been asked is when was my last dive. On rare occasion I have been asked what is my deepest dive to date. Also, for my own interest, I want to know roughly how many lifetime dives I have done. In addition, as a newer diver I experimented with gear configurations, exposure suits, etc., did not yet have an intuitive grasp of how much lead to use on the occasional dives with a thicker suit, so I recorded all that information for future reference, too. But the traditional per-dive data increasingly seemed pointless, so I stopped recording so much detail. Of course, with modern dive computers more data than one can ever need to know can be downloaded, so what I am referring to here is a traditional handwritten log.

As I alluded to above, I started keeping a separate log of "training/practice dives." This might include courses I take, along with time spent just practicing stuff--maybe in a pool, maybe a quarry, a spring, even some open water dives where the goal is to practice skills or check out gear. I keep track of progress I make on learning certain skills, what I had difficulty with that day, what I need to focus on next time, etc. This is great stuff to log--just not in the same log book in which I keep track of other dives.

As the years went by and I started taking more courses and doing more varied diving, I realized just how similar those kinds of "vacation dives" I described above were to each other, and I stopped keeping track of them individually. Instead, I now keep a spiral-bound notebook in which I write a broader overview of each "vacation diving trip." Maybe I'll write that I did four dives a day for five days, or something like that. Only for dives that really stand out do I mention them individually. I write notes of what I liked and disliked about the dive op, the boat, the reefs, etc. Things like water temperature and the critters or wrecks or whatever I saw on the dives. I might note the people I met on the trip. Basically, a mini trip report, with no fixed format, mainly for my own benefit, though sometimes it will form the basis for a trip report I write up in full and post somewhere like SB. Again, what I'm recording is the kind of information that I believe will be useful to me if I plan to take a trip to that destination again.

When I started cave diving, I kept a separate log for those dives, because the information I need to keep track of is somewhat specific to that type of diving. My cave diving log is organized not by date but by cave (though I also keep a simple chronological list of dives). I want to know how many of those kinds of dives I did. I could certainly see keeping the same sort of log for wreck diving. If I did a lot of local diving, where I visited the same sites over and over, I would log only the information that I believed would help me on future dives.

In summary, I keep track of only what I believe will be useful to know in the future, and what is useful to know may depend on the kind of dive.

If I have put my gear on rolled over the side/ entered the water, taken a breath from my reg/ DSV I log it. If I have aborted a dive after a minute or two there usually is a story in that along with a lesson or two learned. It is all experience.

I aborted a dive today. Rarely do I do that. Buddy and I agreed was the best decision. The reasoning behind aborting (already in the water and ready to descend) and the swim out from shore and back are the adventure part, I'd like to capture.. I didn't dive, but will probably put it in my log book as an aborted dive, just so I have a record of it.

I aborted a dive today. Rarely do I do that. Buddy and I agreed was the best decision. The reasoning behind aborting (already in the water and ready to descend) and the swim out from shore and back are the adventure part, I'd like to capture.. I didn't dive, but will probably put it in my log book as an aborted dive, just so I have a record of it.

Makes complete sense to log this aborted dive. I care much more about the additional information (did I enjoy the dive, was the wreck intact or just a debris field, navigation notes, etc.) rather than the facts of the dive (dive site, depth, time, etc.). Logging the reason for aborting a dive would be useful if ever returning to that site or experiencing similar conditions.

I am bad about logging dives, I usually only log a training session or a new dive spot so I have the weight and gear notes. My latest logbook as 34 logged dives and my computer shows 200+ for the same time frame. One problem I have seen is new instructors that have 100 logged dives and they are mostly in the pool, doesn’t give much experience to draw from if something goes haywire.

I'm considering going into more advance dives where the # of dives matters. So I'm going back through my log book (paper and electronic). Questions come up in my mind about what counts as a "dive".

I've heard: "Deeper than 20ft and longer than 20min. No pools"

I'm thinking:
- Include all training dives (regardless of duration, depth, or water type)
- Include any dive over 10 min (regardless of depth or water type)

Thoughts?
I didn't read all posts as this has been rehashed over and over. I think I once heard that it's 15 feet for 20 minutes. Who cares anyway.? Back when I was a "card collector" no instructor ever looked at my log book, including when I signed up for the DM course.

Back
Top Bottom