What's a Good Mesh Gear Bag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We hope you take a look at our bag as well. This is a newly introduced, very rugged, mesh bag which has room for all your gear. Since we sell direct, with no domestic retail stores, our prices can be very competitive (under $30)..

MAKO Dive Bag ?Ballistic Mesh?

MMB-2.jpg

Devon diver... 'Mountain Hardware' expedition bag (convertible to backpack for lugging around the remote places). Where is this?

This is what I use:

Expedition Duffel? Large | MountainHardwear.com

DSCN1154-1024x768.jpg99177365-260x260-0-0_Mountain+Hardwear+Mountain+Hardwear+Expedition+Duf.jpg15665_700.jpg

I am still looking at options for a carry on. I want to be able to fit at least my BC and reg set w/comp into something I can carry on the plane with me. Last time I asked about one some ppl drove me nuts about telling me to buy the dive caddy.

For carry-on and very rough overland trips , I just use my trusty day-pack. Had it for over 15 years and traveled the world with it, both military and civilian, deserts, jungles and ice.

kari09.jpg

30L capacity fits my Force Fin Pros, booties, 2x regulators (in a reg bag), mask, computer, back-up torch. GoPro and my (very small) sidemount rig. Add a pair of shorts, a few t-shirts and pairs of underwear, USB multi-charger, Android tablet, toothbrush/paste, travel soap, deodorant and lightweight travel towel and I'm ready to go... All the non-diving stuff goes into a kayaking dry-bag packed inside, toiletries inside a further dry-bag within that, so I just pack my dive kit wet (the bag gets wet enough anyway in monsoon/typhoon season, when travelling).

It's quite innocuous - doesn't attract attention in 3rd World countries etc (expensive looking dive-branded bags being a bad option for security).

Similar to the MH bag, the North Face basecamp duffel is great for more serious travel. As to mesh bags, I'll just say that the Akona large mesh duffel is a lousy piece of :censored: and leave it at that.

As to mesh bags, I'll just say that the Akona large mesh duffel is a lousy piece of :censored: and leave it at that.

I don't see mesh bags as suitable for 'travel'. They're good for short-term storing/drying wet kit whilst keeping stuff together and relatively secure on a dive boat or dive shop kit-room. No mesh bag is going to survive the rigors of repeated airport baggage handling, being slung on/off buses or dragged around by porters etc. I wouldn't store kit in mesh bags for a longer duration either - I prefer not to find ant's nests or cockroaches lodging in my regulators :wink:

I definitely didn't say mesh bags were ever suitable for travel, and to the extent I somehow implied it (despite explicitly contrasting my discussion of mesh bags with those I thought useful for travel), it was unintended.

The Akona mesh bag I have and detest had about 9" of its zipper strip come unstitched from both sides of the mesh material about three weeks after I got it and had used it exclusively for hauling gear to, on, and from my local dive boat. That was about a week after someone on the boat had complained about how the zipper pull had come off their own iteration of the same make/model bag, so I suppose I shouldn't have been too surprised.

I am looking at mesh so I can dunk it in the cleaning bin after use in fresh and salt water.

If you like your gear you should not do this. Just dunking your gear does not clean it properly and once wet the bag will be dripping water for quite some time. As some of the other posters said the bag is good for allowing clean but damp equipment to dry.

If you like your gear you should not do this. Just dunking your gear does not clean it properly and once wet the bag will be dripping water for quite some time. As some of the other posters said the bag is good for allowing clean but damp equipment to dry.

I dunk my kit... but only if it's being used the next day (that's most of the time...). If the kit is going to have chance to dry out (which is when salt really damages it) then it's properly soaked, rinsed and hung to dry. My kit lasts very well :wink:

I dunk my kit... but only if it's being used the next day (that's most of the time...). If the kit is going to have chance to dry out (which is when salt really damages it) then it's properly soaked, rinsed and hung to dry. My kit lasts very well :wink:

Sorry Devon but your circumstances are not the same as the average diver. You dive daily and live in a place with 90% or higher humidity most of the year. Also as a professional you can control the salinity of the tank but as a diver coming off a boat I have no clue as to how many people used that tank before me or if anyone urinated in their wetsuit and then dunked it the tank. Maybe you want someone else's urine on your mouthpiece but I don't :wink:.

The only cost of a proper rinse is time and effort. If the hotel or the beach has an outdoor shower use it or give the equipment a quick soak in the tub of the hotel. I have seen bladders filled with salt crystals and crapped up regulators from people who just dip and go. You really should not encourage that habit.

This is the bag I use. I like it and it's not too expensive. Reg and computer in the front, rest of the gear in the main part. I don't put my BC into it, but I might give that a shot since I won't be carrying wetsuits for a few months now that the weather is warm.

Mares Cruise Backpack Mesh Deluxe Bag : Amazon.com : Sports & Outdoors
+1 I have this bag too. It got plenty of room and pretty durable

For $25.00 or less you can go to major hunting/sporting goods chains and get mesh back-pack designed for carrying decoys that work quite well for carrying wet suits and related light weight dive gear.

Back
Top Bottom