What water temps can I handle with a 5mm wet suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here in north Florida springs, I only use a 3mm full wetsuit. That's in water with temps ranging from 68 to 72 usually, for usually 90 minutes to two plus hours.
If I'm around 40 degree water, (which is rare), I usually rent a 7mm farmer john suit and the dive times are shorter.

Much variance in the reporting. I wear a full 3 mm with or without hooded vest down to the high 70s. I wear a full 5 mm with or without the hooded vest from the low 70s to the upper 70s. I dive my full 7 mm, with or without the hooded vest from the low 70s down to the low 50s. I do not do much cold water diving and do not dive a drysuit.

Just to chime in. I use a 5 mil for my New England diving which is RI and CT. Water temps in the 50s with a hood and gloves is my low limit. It is really comfy in the 60s. Starts to get too warm in the 70s. I never use it in the Caribbean. Rash guard and tops up to a 2 mil shorty is all I use there, even when diving 3-5x a day.

What did you wear when you did your open water certification dives, and how warm/cold were you? Start from there and see how it maps to the chart posted by @JackD342 . You may find your tolerance is a line above or below what the chart recommends (e.g., my tolerance - or lack thereof - requires one level higher of protection than the chart suggests), and you can work from there.

And as another data point, I use a 5mm full for water temps from about 75 to 85. I add a 5mm hood for temps from about 70-75. For temps below that I drink beer on the beach. Above that I'm OK in a full 3mm. I assume I'll stop using exposure protection when the water temp reaches 98.7

Mid 70’s and above: 3 mil
Mid 60’s to mid 70’s: 5 mil
Mid 60’s down to low 50’s : 7 mil
Low 50’s down to low 40’s or high 30’s: 9-10 mil
All of this also depends on the cut of suit, quality of material, and fit.

There are thing you can do to improve the performance of a wetsuit. I know people that add a rash guard under the suit to reduce water flow in the suit even more. I also recommend bringing a gallon of hot water to pour in the suit while zipping up. You will enjoy the hot water cooling down more than the cold water warming up. Adding a hood/gloves will improve the cold tolerance of awetsuit by several degrees. Of course there is the traditional method warming a wetsuit, but wait until you are in the water before doing that.

Thanks guys, been a great help. I have little to insulate me as far as body fat goes so I will probably chill rather quickly, but at least I have some sort of reference to go by now. I guess the rest is up to me to "Test The Waters". you are all great.

As others have said, sensitivity to temperature varies quite a bit from individual to individual. I dive SoCal and am generally comfortable in a 5mm plus hooded 3mm vest down to the lower 60s and in a 7mm with hooded 3mm vest down to 50 degrees. Your mileage may vary.

You people are hard core or maybe I am a wuss.

Above 80 always a 3mm
Mid 70s to 80, 5mm
Mid 70s to mid 60s, 7mm

Lower ranges involve a 7/5mm hood.

Anytime, I am willing to deal with it, drysuit.

I don’t dive to be uncomfortable.

You people are hard core or maybe I am a wuss.

I'm pretty close to you - 78 is comfortable enough with my full 3mm suit with glued seams and wrist and ankle seals. It was a bit cool in my older regular stitched 3/2mm
never dived a 5 but i assume 70 is as low as I could comfortably go
7mm, with hood and gloves, anything below 60 and I'm cooling down and getting uncomfortable. I'd prefer to stay above low 60's

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom