What water temps can I handle with a 5mm wet suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Temperature sensitivity varies dramatically from individual to individual, length of the dive, and number of dives done that day. Amongst my friends, a 5 mil would keep them comfortable on a 50- 60 min firstdive of the day in water temps of low 70s to mid 60s, but I know people who dive these temps in a shorty and others who need a 7 mil semi dry. You should also get an inexpensive hood. It will help retain a lot of body heat, especially for a second dive.

Temperature sensitivity varies dramatically from individual to individual, length of the dive, and number of dives done that day. Amongst my friends, a 5 mil would keep them comfortable on a 50- 60 min firstdive of the day in water temps of low 70s to mid 60s, but I know people who dive these temps in a shorty and others who need a 7 mil semi dry. You should also get an inexpensive hood. It will help retain a lot of body heat, especially for a second dive.
All good points - there are a lot of variables, including how much bioprene you are packing.
Here is a visual summary I created from PADI's guidelines for exposure suits, which will at least provide you a starting place to work from. If you know you get cold easily, stay away from the lower end of the ranges. If you know you run a little hot, then you may be okay with those.

upload_2018-12-9_13-24-23.png

As hillojo888 said...everyone is going to have a different take on this.

I've done 44* to 82* in a full 5mm. I am comfortable in a 5mm from 82* down to about 52*. Towards 52* necessitates a 5mm hood though. I tried 52* in a 3mm hood and was not comfortable.

I'm pretty cold tolerant, but under about 52* in a 5mm sucks. Sure...you can go colder (I did), but it's not particularly enjoyable. I'd do it again, but only if I was REALLY wanting to go for a dive. That and under 52*...I don't think I'd be itching to go for a second dive.

I also tried out 3mm gloves in 50* water...my hands were pretty chilly. If you're diving wet this time of year...invest in 5mm boots, 5mm gloves, and a 5mm hood.

Another thing...if you've got room in your wet suit in the chest, you could wear a vest w/integrated hood under it. That would help some.

I am relatively new to the dive scene. I am not sure what water temperatures I should be able to endure with a 5mm Henderson wet suit. Please HELP!!!

George...

Our individual tolerances are all different...

Jack's chart will give you a good base-line...

I regularly dive NC...where a three mil...a ''skin'' or cotton coveralls is fine when the bottom temps are 82 degrees F...

When in NC...I dive with a long sleeve rash guard over black Carhartt bib overalls...over standard bathing trunks...with socks and 5 mm wet suit boots...more than warm enough...

You'll know quick enough diving in colder climate areas where when dropping down below the thermocline it gets real cold...real quick...as you descend...you'll know a drop down temperature change is coming when you see the temperate water mixing with the colder water...

I have dove a good fitting 7 mm wet suit...and a good fitting 7 mm semi-dry in water temps 5-10 degrees above freezing for 30/45 minutes...when the air temp is cold...if you don't dry and change and elect to stay in your wet suit on the boat ride back to the dock...that's when you'll really suffer...you'll wish you were back in the cold water...

I dive with a dry-suit full time...however there is no comparison between Great Lakes Temps and the SC Atlantic...

Dive Safe...stay as warm as you can...

Warren...

Thank All Of You, I now have the information I need to keep me comfortable during clean ups. I have been searching for this info for some time and this is the first time I have gotten any useful information. So, Thank you again.

I use the 5mm for everything that fits between a bathing suit and a drysuit.

As mentioned, personal tolerance is a big factor. How well the suit fits is another. If the suit seals good, little water flushing through, they can be very good. But a gap that lets water in (someone did this to me FOLDING my hood material at my back that channeled water right into the back of the suit, thanks buddy) the suit is going to be cold. A hooded vest (over just a hood) can add another ~5° of tolerance.

BTW-
There are other contributors to the relative warmth of a suit than just the thickness. With some Henderson budget priced suits (Neosport, for one) the seams are permeable and not sealed, allowing greater water exchange while in use. They also have several types with variations of micro-fleece lining, which is intended to better trap that initial layer of water next to your skin and minimize even more any water exchange. (only want to warm it up once!)
And, their Thermaxx line has a Titanium coating in the lamination that is meant to reflect heat back to you.

And oh yeah - be sure your suit fits right!!

Do you have body fat and what’s your cold tolerance? I’ve gone down to high 40s in my 5mm. But I have body fat and a high cold tolerance. I’m a freaking polar bear, in fact. :wink:

People have different cold tolerances.

It’s not about what you can tolerate in the water, it’s about what you can tolerate after the dive. Being hit by wind on a long boat ride back can be a killer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom