Question What Underlayer for DUI CF200X Based on Temperature Range?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arkstorm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
For you DUI CF200X owners (or owners of other similar crushed neoprene drysuits), I am wondering what sort of underlayer insulation you are wearing and for what water temperature range?

For example, what would you wear under your drysuit if diving 55F-60F? 50F-55F? 45F-50F?..etc?

Does there come a temperature above which you might just wear some Underarmour cold weather base layer or something similar? If so, what's your temperature cut off for not wearing a dedicated drysuit undergarment?

I realize everybody has different temperature tolerances and comfort zones and I also realize the answer to this question might be different if I was asking about a trilam suit, but given that crushed neoprene has some inherent insulating properties, I am curious to hear your opinions, advice, experience?

Thanks,
A

The CF200 has almost no insulating properties - despite DUI saying it does. Crush all the air out of any material and surprise surprise it doesn't insulate anymore.

The only place I'd use a CF200 without a proper undergarment would be Mexico. But I also wouldn't fly a 17lbs drysuit down there in the first place.

The only place I'd use a CF200 without a proper undergarment would be Mexico.
So…what would you consider to be the proper undergarment for the temp ranges I noted above (or even colder, 35-45F)?

Weezle Compact for summer temps and Weezle Extreme+ for winter (down to 37F). Weezle boots year-round. Varuste is cheapest.
Extreme+ a crowd favorite, especially among Canadians.

I think focusing on duration with sharing body composition might help. I wear a Weezle Extreme or a Halo AR in 10° and lower (and generally don’t dive more than 2.5hr) but also wear a Halo 3D or a Halo AR in 22° water (but for 4+hr dives and often scootering).

Moderately useful pdf attached in the third post of this thread: Bottoms of feet cold (drysuit, 39F / 3.9C water)

For you DUI CF200X owners (or owners of other similar crushed neoprene drysuits), I am wondering what sort of underlayer insulation you are wearing and for what water temperature range?

For example, what would you wear under your drysuit if diving 55F-60F? 50F-55F? 45F-50F?..etc?
Artics
Artics + j2
Artics + j2 + heated vest
halo ar
Halo ar + j2 + heated vest

Does there come a temperature above which you might just wear some Underarmour cold weather base layer or something similar? If so, what's your temperature cut off for not wearing a dedicated drysuit undergarment?

>72f single dives
I realize everybody has different temperature tolerances and comfort zones and I also realize the answer to this question might be different if I was asking about a trilam suit, but given that crushed neoprene has some inherent insulating properties, I am curious to hear your opinions, advice, experience?

Thanks,
A

Santi BZ400 with heating. For cold add more layers.
Decent drygloves with layers for cold and maybe heated gloves
Neoprene socks
Thick hood.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom