What type of fins do you use and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That would be true until SP came out with the new Novas. The Novas are the best fins ever made and will beat all other fins in any test. They come out on top in every comparison against all other fins. They are the best period.

:boxing:

Well, it would be great to see the data on which you base this statement :D

They come out on top in every comparison against all other fins.

They don't even come out on top in every comparison against all other of the very few fins they have been compared to.

ScubaLab:
The Seawing Nova is fast. It easily outpaced this year’s competition and then almost beat an Apollo C-Series Yellow –– the fastest open-heel kicker ScubaLab has ever tested –– which we used as a control fin.

And some of us might remember that the open heel Mares Quattro also "almost beat" an Apollo C-Series Yellow. And some of us might also remember that full foot fins pretty much always test faster than open heel fins, with Mares full foot Quattros pretty much always among the fastest tested full foot fins.

I had a '68 Mercury Park Lane with a 429. It was really comfortable and pretty damn fast, but heavy and clunky compared to a Mustang.

Staying with Dan's Mustang description of the Cressi free dive fin, to me the full foot Quattros are like that 429 Park Lane, and full foot Quattros are faster than Nova's. :idk:

I'm still searching for the perfect fin...
So far I have 4 sets of fins :(

Mares Xstream (my first fins. ok for recreational, not good for frog kick, not very durable)
Force Fin Pro's (too small, will prob keep for my kids)
Oceanic V16 (ok for recreational, not good for frog kick. Also get cramps occasionally)
Hollis F1 (good, but heavy. Also get cramps occasionally)

halemanō;5925413:
Well, it would be great to see the data on which you base this statement :D

That data is based on the 3rd post in this thread! :)

I spent over 30+ years in jet fins and thought there were the best thing since sliced bread. Until I LEARNED how to use split fins. That's right, you don't just put them on and use them the same way you use paddle fins. There is a learning curve.

If you have a bit of time, please share the techniques you have learned. I am sure that many of us would benefit. Thanks in advance.

I started out with Aqualung Blades. The older ones and still used them up until last year with my dry suit. I've tried Oceanic V-12's, Al Rockets, Jets, AL Pulse, Aeris Vectors, some model of Force Fin, and the Dive Rites. I'm going to be getting in a set of the HOG Tech Fins to try with my next order. But in 2007 world came out about the Hollis F-1's. Being the persistant cuss I am I began bugging Nick about them. Finally he got sick of me and sent me a set of the protoypes to review and evaluate. I first used them in Bonaire in Jan of 2008. Fell in love with them. Only issue was they were the XL's and were big on my drysuit boots and thin wet boots. Were great with with my heavy wet boots though. Then when word came out about the two color ones I contacted him and as one of the original testers got a set of those protoypes but in large. Now they are all I use for everything. The three postion adjustment on the springs is very useful. They have just enough flex, and I really don't find them as being too heavy. They are designed to be neutral in saltwater so they are just a bit neg in fresh. Works great for my drysuit and floaty feet I seem to have wet in 3 mil or 5 mil. I don't care for fins with gimmicks, fancy designs, or line traps. I am in the process of modifying the heel piece on the straps because FOR ME it is just a bit wide. I don't see ever going to another fin on a regular basis but may use the HOG fin once I get it for some stuff as I am a dealer and a little extra advertising never hurts. Will they replace the F-1's? Doubt it and just being honest there but they may work better and may be more afordable for some of my customers. I recommend what is best for each person on a case by case basis. I have two students with knee issues that I recommended splits to. That was the best choice for them.

I don't really get this. For years there have been threads on "What are the best fins?", "what's wrong with splits?", etc., and for years I have been posting about the drastic superiority of freediving fins for scuba... But it is like I am talking to myself and a handful of other people--the split fin people must not even read my posts.....

I can prove this difference.... I have many pairs of freediving fins, and will be happy to let any split fin wearer or other fin wearer that comes to Palm Beach, try some of my freediving fins--and see how much better they are. The difference is shocking. That so few have ever explored this direction is just amazing to me.
So freedive fins are a little harder to walk in....So what? Nike Running shoes are better to walk in than the stupid folding fins, but who would want to dive with nike running shoes instead of fins?

If you want MUCH LESSS EXERTION on your scuba dives....if you want much lower SAC rate due to much lower exertion......If you want 3 or 4 times the emergency speed possble with Splits, in case you ever actually have some kind of emergency...then WHY NOT TRY freedive fins????

This whole thing blows me away.

The thing is, with he right free diving fins, you would not even understand what "caught in a current" would mean....really, there is no ocean current that could be a problem for the DiveR fins.

As usual Dan seeems to take things over the top and exagerates things....but I agree that the freedive fins are significantly better than open heel scuba fins for efficiency.

I much prefer full foot fins and they have advantages with having basically zero line trap potential, more efficient power transfer and probably fit better. However, if a diver needs to wear thick dive boots with soles, then the freedive full-foot footpocket is not going to work. Also, if you are wearing 7 mm mittens, a typical open heel, adjustable strap fin (spring or otherwise) is going to be easier to manipulate, especially if your hands are close to numb at the end of the dive and are therefore very weak.

If you are scuba diving in rough conditions, in say Maine and you might need to scramble up rocks in crashing seas, it might be advanatgeous to have fins you can pop on and off easily. Also for penetration dives in silty environments (which I avoid) I would believe that large freedive fins are not necessary and are probably a detriment.... how fast you want to swim in a silty wreck anyway?

On a small crowded boat with scuba gear, the long fins can be a pain too.

Also, in very rough water, when boat diving, a diver might easily be able to scramble up a ladder with jet fins on, while this might not be practical with freedive fins. I normally try to remove the freedive fins, before climbing a ladder, but again in rough water with thick mittens on and a ladder crashing up and down near your head, I can see where someone might choose a jetfin with a spring strap.

However, for areas where the diver can wear one (or sometimes two pairs of neoprene sock in cold water) the full foot long blades are superior when you get underwater. The question comes down to how much underwater efficiency are you willing to give up in order to have a more convenient fin on the shore, boat or ladder??

I have not put on a pair of jet fins in probably 3 years.

As usual Dan seeems to take things over the top and exagerates things....but I agree that the freedive fins are significantly better than open heel scuba fins for efficiency.

I much prefer full foot fins and they have advantages with having basically zero line trap potential, more efficient power transfer and probably fit better. However, if a diver needs to wear thick dive boots with soles, then the freedive full-foot footpocket is not going to work. Also, if you are wearing 7 mm mittens, a typical open heel, adjustable strap fin (spring or otherwise) is going to be easier to manipulate, especially if your hands are close to numb at the end of the dive and are therefore very weak.

If you are scuba diving in rough conditions, in say Maine and you might need to scramble up rocks in crashing seas, it might be advanatgeous to have fins you can pop on and off easily. Also for penetration dives in silty environments (which I avoid) I would believe that large freedive fins are not necessary and are probably a detriment.... how fast you want to swim in a silty wreck anyway?

On a small crowded boat with scuba gear, the long fins can be a pain too.

Also, in very rough water, when boat diving, a diver might easily be able to scramble up a ladder with jet fins on, while this might not be practical with freedive fins. I normally try to remove the freedive fins, before climbing a ladder, but again in rough water with thick mittens on and a ladder crashing up and down near your head, I can see where someone might choose a jetfin with a spring strap.

However, for areas where the diver can wear one (or sometimes two pairs of neoprene sock in cold water) the full foot long blades are superior when you get underwater. The question comes down to how much underwater efficiency are you willing to give up in order to have a more convenient fin on the shore, boat or ladder??

I have not put on a pair of jet fins in probably 3 years.
One of the other cool things about some brands of freedive fins, is that you can have them either in the full foot pocket, or open heel with strap. DD is correct, if you can use neoprene socks rather than booties, the power transfer is much better....a competitive runner would never cut the heels off of their $200 running shoes so some firends could wear them.....Dive shops like a one size or 2 size fits all inventory, and this is most likely a big reason for the prevalence of open heel fins in the industry.
For the use of my Dry suit, I had to have open heel foot pockets put on my DiveR freedive fins....fortunately, these fins are so superior to all other freedive fins I have tried, the only fins better than the open Heel Diver R freedive fins would be a pair of full foot DiveR freedive fins :)

I have done plenty of dives in 6 foot to 12 foot seas, and the freedive fins are no harder to remove than the jetfins or split fins--but will ALWAYS provide FAR MORE control in the water right up until you take them off.
The small boat sceanrio is valid for divers who do NOT use charter boats...on a small 26 foot outboard, walking around would be tough....Not that it is great in such a small boat even without fins :) For this small boat scenario, I'd be doing the backward roll entry so I would not have to walk anywhere.....Since few divers on this board will be exclusively stuck with small private boats, this direction will only have relevance to a small number.

For rocky shore entries, fine, use the open heel version of the freediving fin so you can put them on just like you would Jets or splits.

The Drysuit use I put my open heel Dive R fins to make me much better able to dive efficiently than would be possible with jet fins or spplit fins..but then I don't really drift, I actually like to swim at an easy cruiding pace throighout the dive. Now in my wetsuit with the warm water, the open heel version of my DiveR fins is not hampering my efficiency in any measurable way.

DD is right about the ladder--you dont climb ladders with freedive fins on...they have to come off. My personal preference is platforms you can belly up on to, meaning the fins stay on till you are already aboard :)

Brand new to diving only done 1 dive aside from my class but I've paddled many hours away in my pool. I got a pair of Tusa Zooms and found out fast I didn't like the full toe pocket and my kick wasn't right in them thus I had some foot cramping. I returned them for some Apollo Bio fins which make good use of my short flutter kick natural to me. My legs are happy I can keep up with my group, they are very comfy, and they are yellow which makes me happy :)

There has actually been some pretty good research done on the efficiency of various fins. It can be found here Rubicon Research Repository: Item 123456789/3936 :eek:)

As for free diving fins which are not discussed in the above, I love my C4s, but not for SCUBA. They are just too long for most of my applications.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom