What type of fins do you use and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, I have C4's also.....very efficient fins. What exactly makes them too long? They dont do helicpopter turns very well, or reverse kicks, but most divers dont know how to do either one of these anyway.. :)
the C 4's frog kick very well, and in my use, the only caveat was that you would never giant stride into the water with them...I would do a back flop instead.

There are many things about the movie Into The Blue that I roll my eyes at, but I do think the opening scene where Paul Walker is a guide/nanny for a cattle boat load of cruise ship divers is a decent stereotyping of an Island scuba instructor who can probably only afford one pair of fins! :D

ScubaLab:
Full-foots in a Nutshell

Here's an interesting finding from our fin testing--while splits tend to show a slight advantage among adjustable fins, paddles have the advantage among full-foots. Four of the fastest full-foots using a flutter kick are paddles, and three of the five fastest full-foots using the frog kick are paddles. In slalom runs, four of the five fastest full-foots are paddles, three of which earned "very good" nods for maneuverability. In ergonomic tests, three of the five top scores are paddles.

Best of Both Worlds?

On average, full-foot fins deliver more speed than adjustables and probably cost you less energy, but the downside comes when you walk barefoot on docks and decks and climb boat ladders. Can you somehow have the best of both types? Is it possible to wear booties inside full-foots without losing their advantages?

We tried an experiment. Two testers wore booties inside two models of full-foots and made several speed runs. They had to use slightly larger sizes to accommodate the booties, but the fins seemed to be otherwise identical to the smaller sizes they had worn without booties earlier. In particular, the blade sizes looked the same.

The result? The speeds were virtually the same with booties and without, for both testers and both pairs of fins. Wearing booties inside the fins seemed to make no difference.

This suggests that eliminating the mushy booties is not the real reason for the full-foot advantage. Their light weight and the fact that they cup the heel are probably more important.

It also suggests that you could have the best of both types by sizing your full-foots to fit over a pair of booties. Use thin booties with minimal soles and high ankles so it's easier to remove the fin and leave the bootie in place.

We think the bootie-in-the-full-foot trick might be worth trying. If you try it, let us know what you think. --John Francis

Been using Mares fins for over 20 years, currently on a brand new pair of Quattro Excels and after 4 dives no noticeable difference from my previous Quattros.

I don't care as long as they have spring straps on them but that's another discussion to hash out again and again. :wink: All that said, I am currently using some Turtles.

If there are any split fin interested divers going to the BHB sunday( tommorow) for the afternoon dive, I will bring several extra pairs of freedive fins with me so you can try them and learn first hand how pathetic splits are in comparison :)
Just let me know if you want to try some.

In thirtyfive years of diving all I can say is that I have never come across a pair of fins that are perfect for all types of diving.

Probably explains why I have a footlocker full of fins, you name it and I probably have them.
But split fins are my absolute favorite for recreational diving.

In thirtyfive years of diving all I can say is that I have never come across a pair of fins that are perfect for all types of diving.

Probably explains why I have a footlocker full of fins, you name it and I probably have them.
But split fins are my absolute favorite for recreational diving.

I do not use freediving fins for cave diving, or deep penetrations into shipwrecks..those are the only two environments I have not found them to be superior in. I have been diving since 72, and have been all over the caribbean, to Indonesia,to the cold water of Catalina and the nearby deep pinnacle, great Lakes, rivers, and of course both coasts of Florida and the Keys..... I patiently await someone coming up with a scenario for a typical charter boat dive, or even beach dive, where the freedive fins would not be massively superior, other than cave or deep inside a wreck.... :)

OMS Slipstream fins with XS Scuba spring straps.

I didn't notice anyone mentioning flip fins. I've used the Omega flip fins for about two years with the spring staps. The main reason is safety. I climb up the ladder with the fins on. They're really great for shore dives. No one is stepping on my fins and I don't need to do the shuffle. I get some strange looks from people, however. I don't notice any loss of speed or manuverability from previous fins I've used. I wore them during our Coco's Island liveaboard and it was so much easier to simply put them on while on the boat and get in the rubber boat while everyone else was trying to get their fins on while balancing on the boats edge and then sit sideways for the trip to the dive site.

As a dive guide,it's impossible for me to compare fins. For over ten years I've been diving with black Apollo Bio Pro fins with S/S strings. Expensive & heavy but easy on these old legs.

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

Back
Top Bottom