What type of fins do you use and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use Scubapro Jetfins for wetsuit diving. I like them. You can do any type of movement - frog, back, heli, as you probably already know. I can tell you that I never managed to do a back kick with a pair of Twinjets a few years ago, but with Jetfins it was easy from the first try. I have installed XS Scuba spring straps on them. It is the kind of fin that you don't have to care about - I don't think it could break in any way.

For drysuit, my foot size was between sizes for Jetfin, so I went with Hollis F1. I also like them a lot. They are similar in terms of heavyness, the foot socket is much better, and I haven't felt any disadvantage into using them. The only comment is that the Hollis fins are easier to scratch.

I have to admit that I know a guy who does movements that I would never imagine myself doing, in a pair of split Twinjets.. so in the end it is a matter of skill and personal preference.

I use Scubapro Twin Jet Max for Teaching in the pool & general recreational diving (any time I'm diving a wetsuit). I use Jet Fins just about any other time, mainly I am wearing my drysuit & rock boots. When technical diving the Jet Fins give me the Umph! I need to push double cylinders & stages through the water.

I use scubapro sea wing nova. I love them i can do all the kicks i use to do with the "normal" types fins but it does take a bit of getting use to to be able to do frog kicks with them I use to get cramps no matter that i did when diving but now with the novas i never have that problem they propel you through the water effortlessly . And for the why question i got them because they looked cool but they also turned out to be one of the best fins i have ever used. You got to look cool when diving right ?

I use APOLLO BIO-FINS . They are advertised in various places as "the most efficient" fins and while I can't verify that I CAN TELL YOU they are a heck of a lot better than my original scubapros from 12 years ago. When training for my timed swim skills for DM cert, the bio fins reduced times by 30%.

ONE IMPORTANT THING I'VE LEARNED ABOUT USING MY BIOFINS... Because they are SO negative I use CROCs instead of dive boots. the buoyancy of the CROCs exactly negates the weight of the fins in the water and makes the dive so much more comfortable. The other divers on the boat have some strange looks and I get to explain a lot, but it works for me! I even use the CROCs with my drysuit instead of my Rockboots.

TC

I use the kind that fit my feet because they're more comfortable. Whatever they are, splits, blades, turtles, paddles, jets, frogfeet, whatever, as long as they move me through the water at a pace I need then they are just fine.

I use jet fins because I lost my old fins and there was a pair of jet fins lying nobody wanted. I kick my feet and they make me go so im happy :D

New diver. Tried a few styles but the novas were my favorite. I do have trouble with frog kicking in them however.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom