What type of fins do you use and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like my V16 splits and I certainly don't fin like that vdo. I've been in stiff currents and had no problems. I haven't noticed anyone having any advantage to me in any of my dives. I have strong legs but a weak knee so they are perfect for me.

Here is a video showing a typical split fin wearing diver, that uses splits BECAUSE of terribly bad finning technique and a lack of proper coordination. Instead of giving him help, his dive shop got him split fins !!! YouTube - ‪Diver with skills that split fins were created for...If you swim like this, GET HELP!‬‏
You can see why the poor technique used by this guy favors a very soft and ridiculous fins like these splits.

Actually, I think the alternate kick being used by the diver would be more effective with a paddle fin. :D

I call that the unicycle kick. I had the misfortune of being under a charter that had like a dozen overweighted student divers on board. When they "hit" bottom, I was reminded of those clowns in the circus that zip around every which way on unicycles. The students BC's held them near vertical like marionette puppets. They spun their legs like they were pedaling a bike. Kicking sand, reef, soft corals..

I guess instructors prefer to overweight the students. I often thought the instructors who use the BHB for the first 2 open water dives should take advantage of the site to dial in their weights.

Sorry for the hijack. Rant off.

AquaLung Caravelle mens fins size 6-7.... Amazon sale, $50

im heading to Tioman for my Open Water certification course and was contemplating buying the Atomic split fins, do you recomend them for a first time diver??

im heading to Tioman for my Open Water certification course and was contemplating buying the Atomic split fins, do you recomend them for a first time diver??

YES! Haven't you read any of this thread?

With all respect to Dan, yes.

I dive Atomic splits, and have absolutely no complaints with them. I have gone shore diving with them in moderate surf with surge and they worked well. I haven't had the chance to drift dive with them so can't give you opinion in current.

However, I don't plan to do a lot of drift diving anyways. Most of my diving is recreational either shore or boats while on vacation. I am noticing most people favoring paddle fins seem to be diving dry suits. Just my opinion from what I've noticed in the threads.

Fins are like sushi. You order what you like. We all have our favorites, and no two opinions will be alike. Pick a fin that suits you and you're diving technique. If possible, see if your LDS can let you test in a pool to see what works. Good luck in you certification.

We need some Fin DEMO days so everyone with an interest, can see what fins work better for them.
I could arrange this at the Blue Heron Bridge Marine Park, where you have shore diving entrance to the water and free diving. There are 3 najor dive shops within a mile of this, so all major brands should be available for DEMO....All we would really need is a large number of people who wanted to know the truth of this, enough so that they would show up for this....

The negative talk about split fins in earlier years dissuaded me from buying a pair, but I eventually chose the Apollo BioFins and absolutely love them for diving in environments without strong currents. I used to get leg cramps with my Blades and other fins but almost never get them with the BioFins. When I travel by air and carry fins, I return to my original Blades since they are much lighter in weight and do well in strong currents. I have never understood the fascination surrounding Jet Fins and their ilk. I got rid of mine decades ago. I hear they are good for frog kickers, but my legs are somewhat knock kneed so I can't do a good frog kick anyway.

Back
Top Bottom